To The Aid Of Stoneroost

To all friends and freemen of Finn Castle Bastion,

While we have no plans to meet within this month the portal between Bastion circles should still be opening. At that time I will be traveling from Finn Castle Bastion to the Bastion of Stoneroost to aid the Biata there in a desparate fight against an army of dark fae. These are not the amiable fae you have come to know like Demondre or Preston. These fae have gathered an army for the singular purpose of sieging the Bastion, eliminating its Biata population, and siezing control of the ley lines that run beneath its soil. At last gather a party from Finn Castle attempted to negotiate a peace, which was outright refused. Should these dark fae prove victorious in Stoneroost, then all of the bastions will lose one of the last stable earth circles in our lands. This is not a loss any of us can afford. Now is the time to recognize that we are one land, now more than ever. With only seven earth circles left to our realm we must band together to defend these fast fading wellsprings of life.

Friends of the Vanguard, if you would strike a blow in Kera's name, now is the time.

To all others, the Biata of Stoneroost have fought long and hard to preserve life in the face of the Withering. Let us not abandon them now to a selfish enemy that hungers only for the celestial power beneath their lands.

In faith for the future,
Nicodemus Ravenseye

It should be added that both sides, Biata and Fae, were equally intractable and deaf to propositions of any peace. Both sides expressed that they will settle for nothing less than the anhilliation of the other, so I would only caution anyone considering such a trip to consider the ramifications of getting involved in what has essentailly become a blood feud.

Sir Douglas MacWilliam

Dear Nicodemus~

I would like more information on what Stone Roost is, where it is, what it is to you and so forth. I am new to this part of the land. Please either post a notice here giving me more information or send me a scroll by messenger. I would just like a bit more information about what is going on before pledging my help and aide to anything one way or another.
Thank you.

Yours,
~Z~

Douglas,

Are we any less intracteable when there is a horder of undead sieging our home? Were you any less intracteable when the Golden Order began to subvert what was left of Syraandor, or when strange elementals besieged the remnants of Caledon, or when Caryth armies occupied the Harvest Land?

Z, the truth is I know little about Stoneroost itself. Yes, they are a community of Biata but as I am, in fact, from lands distant to all Laerthan, I know very little of the Biata there. What I do know is this, Stoneroost is a Bastion much as Finn Castle is. It is a refuge built by the survivors of the mortal races against the Withering, centered on the permanent Earth Circle at its core which drives back the undead as ours does. I have not had the chance this month gone by to ask among the Authenrai court what Eire's relationship is with Stoneroost. But they are a Bastion, so at the very least they are probably counted among the kingdom's allies. Perhaps one of Finn Castle's nobles would know more about the place itself.

As I see it the matter is simply this; the Biata of Stoneroost are a native people who have managed to survive the withering, fend off the undead and bullwark their native home against the cataclysm that rages across our realm. Now they are under siege by a new enemy. This enemy seeks their total destruction. They hunger for the celestial energy that runs beneath the soil, and they will kill those in their path to get it. I know some are inclined toward the fey, that some have had beneficial, even joyous encounters with fae. But these are no dreamers or harmless pranksters. This is an invading army.

Paramount to my mind in all of this, there is the fate of the Earth Circle at Stoneroost's heart. I cannot stress enough how important these circles are now. They are all that stays our final destruction, and if there is any chance to take back even a part of our world, I promise it begins with these last seven circles. This invading army of fae threatens to take one from us, and I say not just from the people of Stoneroost but from us all. When it is gone, we will all feel its loss.

What will North Fortress do when its closest ally has been destroyed? What will we all do when the last Circles disappear one by one, when the Bastions disappear one by one until we are all that is left?

If we of the Bastions are to stand by one another, we must start now.

-Nicodemus

Nicodemus,
I will also travel with you and my brother. The fae must be ousted, and your people certainly need the aid. I do not fear involvement to save your people at the risk of becoming an enemy to the fae. I am all ready against them with my entire being.

For better or for worse, we must fight.

Titaus Kar'Dan
Vanguard of the Crimson Storm

Nicodemus,

You taught me a valuable lesson at Finn Castle. I will gladly aid you and your people in slaughtering these abominations in memory of those brave Vansir who marched valliantly into oblivion at Kera Keep.

Ansgar Life-Weaver
Vanguard of the Crimson Storm

Before we all sign-on to commit wholesale murder, I would like us to take a moment and reflect on what we're about to do.

The Fae invaded; this much is true. But this was not an invasion of imperialism, nor aggression nor greed, but of their very survival. Their homeland was destroyed, and Stoneroost holds a source of nourishment for them. What matter of negotiation or bargaining were attempted none of us can know; what we can say, is both sides are now determined to destroy one another, down to the last child.
While I certainly understand the motivation to support the Biata, as one of the few who actually *did* treat with both sides, I can say the Biata required bribery merely to *not* assault us, and the Fae gave us aid when by all rights they should've spat in our faces. They did it for a common good, for the asking, and for that 'better tomorrow' that keeps coming up. I hear the Fae of Stoneroost described as dark and terrible, and 'not like the one's we know'; all I can say is they aided us without call for reward or bribery. Does this sound like a force that is evil to it's core?

What they are, is a people without a homeland, and few places they can flourish. I cannot say honestly we would behave differently in their shoes.

Show me they are evil and we have something. Show me the dark and terrible proof these Fae are different, and we may have something. Until then, we are talking about the wholesale murder of a people who's most recent terrible crime is coming to our aid.

We have been given another path to resolve this conflict; restore Arcadia, restore their homeland, and see the Fae returned. It is a path that gains us only allies, and makes us no enemies. It is a path that a month ago I would not have thought possible, but we have been given a first step. It is a task of herculean effort; it is in short, a task for Heroes.

Go to Stoneroost, and your task is the murder of a people.

If you would be build that better tomorrow, consider carefully your task.

This is madness. We barely have the resources to protect and feed the people in this Bastion, there are thousands of people lost in the Deadlands still, surviving in huts and tree forts, crying out for rescue every day of their existence, and you wish to take a group of twice-born, to dive into a battle between two warring factions? First and foremost, we need to protect the caravans and begin reclaiming the land from the undead.

Nicodemus, I don't know if this is your motivation, and forgive me if my assumption is false, but please do not side with the Biata simply because they are of your race. Neither faction wishes to destroy the Stone Roost Bastion, or the circle for which it stands. I highly recommend that this be left alone for now.

Does this Bastion even have a Justicar? Perhaps we should attempt to speak with the respective rulers before we jump into their bonfire? But before any of that, I am humbly asking all of you, please stay here and help us recover the land of this isle. In the last six months I have found nearly two dozen families not more than a three days march outside of Finn Castle. Who know what we could recover and who we could save if we venture out in force? Please, let those who would war manage their own disputes for now. The starving and helpless need us more.

Contact me privately if you wish to join an armored caravan, or form one on your own. (alliancedeadlandsnh@gmail.com) I do have access to several armored horses and wagons that merely need a crew and some minor supplies in order to venture out.

Ria Taybris Jehiel
Hierophan of the Deadlands

Deadlands said:
This is madness. We barely have the resources to protect and feed the people in this Bastion, there are thousands of people lost in the Deadlands still, surviving in huts and tree forts, crying out for rescue every day of their existence, and you wish to take a group of twice-born, to dive into a battle between two warring factions? First and foremost, we need to protect the caravans and begin reclaiming the land from the undead.

Nicodemus, I don't know if this is your motivation, and forgive me if my assumption is false, but please do not side with the Biata simply because they are of your race. Neither faction wishes to destroy the Stone Roost Bastion, or the circle for which it stands. I highly recommend that this be left alone for now.

Does this Bastion even have a Justicar? Perhaps we should attempt to speak with the respective rulers before we jump into their bonfire? But before any of that, I am humbly asking all of you, please stay here and help us recover the land of this isle. In the last six months I have found nearly two dozen families not more than a three days march outside of Finn Castle. Who know what we could recover and who we could save if we venture out in force? Please, let those who would war manage their own disputes for now. The starving and helpless need us more.

Contact me privately if you wish to join an armored caravan, or form one on your own. (alliancedeadlandsnh@gmail.com) I do have access to several armored horses and wagons that merely need a crew and some minor supplies in order to venture out.

Ria Taybris Jehiel
Hierophan of the Deadlands

I must reply.

The Hierophan is right. Dont be careless with your lives by marching across the deadlands to an unsuspecting Rost into a fight no one here knows anything about. Do you know the numbers you face? The elevation of the land? Do you have a specific mission? Know any particular weakness or strengths of the individuals you face? What is your route? Which path across the deadlands do you expect to take with least resistance? Is your goal none other than "kill the fae, save the earth circle". If so, I question your ability to lead a millitary campiegn like your suggesting. You need maps for these missions. Not just world maps, DEATAIL maps of the battle ground. Furthermore, you need an effective band. A squad of 5 or 10 would not only be vulnerable in the journey, but ineffective in a battle against hundreds. Which commander called for arms or aid in this struggle? Who would you be meeting with upon your arival? You have much to learn, skull headed bird, about millitary engagements. The first thing is when and how to strike.

Im not sure you are fit to lead. Infact I recall our campiegn to the chaos dimention. Remember the moment you jumped carelessly infront of my swinging sword? You almost suffered it's brunt on accident. Not that its your fault, not everyone is cut out for command. I suggest you do what the Herophan says and stay put. Your intentions are good here, but stay local and join an ARMORED carivan. You may be happy to know that I have taken the first few steps to command one. Perhaps if you enlisted benieth my command, I could teach you a couple survival techniques. Who knows, maybe an ogre's teachings could help save a necromantically tainted life once or twice...as much as it might make me shutter.

-Grog

Hierophan Ria,

Your words strike a powerful chord, and you are right, there is much to do in the lands of Finn Castle and people here who are in need. That is the very reason why I have not submitted a formal petition to the Crown or Justicar for aid in this matter. The sworn militia has its own duties to attend to. I call for wandering adventurers, those with sword and spell but who still seek a cause worth fighting for. I do not expect to raise an army of hundreds, and those who do not join us in Stoneroost should think welll upon forming caravans to help the local populace.

You bring to light what I fear is a spreading misconception. I do not look to help Stoneroost because they are Biata. I know them not, and I do not call them my people. Nor do I have any wish to further enflame any enmities or rivalries that might have arisen at our last gathering. The Fae and their fate as a whole is clearly a heated issue right now, but this is not about our own conflicts of opinion right now.

I have watched the Withering since it began, and I have seen it swallow one nation after another, each standing alone, each dying alone. I have even witnessed one nation turning on another during the worst of times. All who are of Eire remember Caryth's occupation when all the world was falling apart. Now there are but seven Bastions left. Seven haven's for what remains of mortal life in this realm. But still we speak of them as though they are sovereign and separate kingdom's unto themselves. This simply is not so. We can no longer afford to say this is their problem and not ours, it does not affect it us... I assure you it does. Justicar Crowe and the nobles of Finn Castle have shown an inherent understanding of our need for eachother. Crowe has put out a call to arms to aid Moria. Galloway raises arms to aid Thelusia. Both show wisdom in their deeds. We cannot stand alone in these grim times, and we cannot allow others to do so either.

Seven Bastions of mortal life left in Laerthan. Should the others fall, I promise we will feel their loss most keenly, and then we too will slip into the dark. I deeply regret that the fae have been driven to such a tragic state, but I will not surrender one of our last bastions because of it.

And Colllan, we are old friends so I say this with love and a smile. You twist words as well as ever. By your own recounting when you returned from Stoneroost, the Fae were not so amiable as you now portray. As I recall, you said they only gave aid because you promised to supply them with arms against the Biata. Fortunately, you have not kept your side of the bargain.

Ever in faith,
Nicodemus

Grog,

No one is suggesting a march across the Deadlands. Such is suicide. The portal between circles will still open this month, that is our means of transport. Once there our job is to reinforce the existant military forces of Stoneroost Bastion.

-Nicodemus

Ah my old friend, I am affraid it is not my words, but your memory that has come twisted here. I will say as plainly as possible, we gave no aid to the Fae - weapons were in fact the bribe we gave *the Biatta* to allow us to pass. Were there any other way I assure you we'd have done otherwise, but such was not the case. At the end of the day, the Fae received no recompense for their aid; no weapons, no moneys, no favors. Placed evenly on the scales, I do not see how this can be twisted; the Fae were willing to aid others, trusting in us to do what is right. My unfavorable opinions of the fae leadership not-withstanding, this is an act we must at least consider before we join arms against them.
Until we somehow repudiate this act, or demonstrate the fae are categorically evil, I am afraid the other crusades you mentioned share a trait this one does not; they were unequivocally the right thing to do.

We have an alternative to bloodshed before us; I suggest we consider it strongly.

Shhh said:
Grog,

No one is suggesting a march across the Deadlands. Such is suicide. The portal between circles will still open this month, that is our means of transport. Once there our job is to reinforce the existant military forces of Stoneroost Bastion.

-Nicodemus

You still fail to answer many important questions. Who called you for arms or requested aid? What portion of the ranks do you intend to reinforce? Will you be on the spear head of the lines or will you be renforcing there mess hall kitchen? Both need soldiers, which is your mission? Who are you to report too when you arive? Who will be in command of your squad? You realise that reinforcing suggests you will be there untill your duty is fufilled? Do you plan to stay in Stoneroost until thier war is over? Where are your maps? What supplies have you gathered for your men? What supplies will you have to use when you arive? I could go on.

You have 1 simple, easy plan of arivial, but I've not seen one objective to be accomplished before heading back here, where you all are needed more!

This small, 2 line note is a perfect example as to why you are unfit for leadership. Your battle plans lack many, many much needed details and planning. Not only that, but those you call "old friends" publically question your memmory AND motives! Now with talks of a phantom weapons supply, who knows what you could be walking into on your arrival! Someone who strives to lead men must not be this weak! I sincerely hope that members of the Vanguard choose to follow someone who is better prepared for these things. The last thing I want to see is a beautifully functioning battle unit like them be waltzed by a necromancer into a poorly planned spear head. There are other paths to glory againsed your enemies, Vancir. Dont throw your lives to hatred. My kind did and my kind suffered. Learn this lesson and follow YOUR leaders in battles that you KNOW you can win! Dont be led by those who simply promise you vengance.

Survive!
-Grog

Grog, I thank you for listening to my words, but I would clarify.

I did not intend to question my friend's motives, nor do I question them now. I have no doubt Nicodemus is acting in accordance with what he believes is right. I have no doubt he believes aiding the Biatta is the right thing to do. I have no doubt of his sincerity that he believes this is the best thing for everyone.
I simply do not believe he is correct.
I agree with him that the circles must be protected at all costs. I believe that in this case, in the middle of a war is - strangely - the safest place for the circle, as any who would destroy the it must now defeat two blood crazed armies, rather than our small numbers.
In short, I have no doubt Nicodemus believes his course of action is best; I simply disagree with him. Therefore, I would see that any who accompany him do so fully cognizant of the choice they are making, just as I would insist any who stay behind do the same.

Dyketheory said:
Shhh said:
Grog,

-Nicodemus

You still fail to answer many important questions. Who called you for arms or requested aid? What portion of the ranks do you intend to reinforce? Will you be on the spear head of the lines or will you be renforcing there mess hall kitchen? Both need soldiers, which is your mission? Who are you to report too when you arive? Who will be in command of your squad? You realise that reinforcing suggests you will be there untill your duty is fufilled? Do you plan to stay in Stoneroost until thier war is over? Where are your maps? What supplies have you gathered for your men? What supplies will you have to use when you arive? I could go on.

You have 1 simple, easy plan of arivial, but I've not seen one objective to be accomplished before heading back here, where you all are needed more!

This small, 2 line note is a perfect example as to why you are unfit for leadership. Your battle plans lack many, many much needed details and planning. Not only that, but those you call "old friends" publically question your memmory AND motives! Now with talks of a phantom weapons supply, who knows what you could be walking into on your arrival! Someone who strives to lead men must not be this weak! I sincerely hope that members of the Vanguard choose to follow someone who is better prepared for these things. The last thing I want to see is a beautifully functioning battle unit like them be waltzed by a necromancer into a poorly planned spear head. There are other paths to glory againsed your enemies, Vancir. Dont throw your lives to hatred. My kind did and my kind suffered. Learn this lesson and follow YOUR leaders in battles that you KNOW you can win! Dont be led by those who simply promise you vengance.

Survive!
-Grog

Grog,

I believe Nicodemus's motives are honorable, regardless of the mark he bears. I do agree someone more experienced in leading a battle unit would be better, however, when we arrive in stoneroost we will be under the command of whoever is leading the front. Let us be the judge of what we can handle and if our efforts would be in vain. There's risk in everything you do, every choice you make, and we are indeed prepared for the consequences.

For glory and honor,

Gaedun Kar'Dan

Thank you Collan. As ever we disagree, we argue, and we move on. It is why you and I and Douglas have fought so well together these many years. Right now you question whether aiding the Bastion at Stoneroost is unequivocably the right thing to do, as we all think aiding Moria and Thelusia to be. I must answer a whole hearted yes. The Fae have no vested interest in protecting the Earth Circle there. Their lives are simply not tied to it as ours are. Whats more, they have absolutely no claim to that land and no right to chase off its current inhabitants through bloodshed. It is unfortunate that their realm came to the end that it did, and it is tragic that the survivors are forced to survive in our lands by, as I understand it, binding themselves to mystic wood elves. That gives them absolutely no right of conquest to take land from those native to this plane. They have set their sites on Stoneroost out of hunger and greed for the ley lines underneath, and seem to care nothing for the Bastion and the mortal peoples taking refuge there. The people of Stoneroost, on the other hand, they are us. Desperate survivors who have drawn themselves together against the Withering and the decimation of our once thriving homes. The power of the Earth Circle there is all that shelters them from the hordes of undeath. Of course they fight with unrelenting rage to keep it, as would we. If we do not help them, then we have no right to expect any to aid us in the future. Each Bastion will stand on it own and fall.

And Grog, we get it, you don't like me. You made it clear at last gathering. Personal biases aside, if I say no more about strategems for Stoneroost, it is because I don't post battle plans on a tavern wall!

-Nicodemus

Im not posting notes ONLY because I dont like you, Nicodemus. I'm doing it to keep you from screwin up. Your Human friend, Collin has been right with all his words so far. You try real hard, like you did killing undead in the chaos plane, Buuuut you screw up...like almost running into my swinging sword while we were fighting undead in the chaos plane.

Awe! You remember how much I dont like you, but you dont remember the rest? "Your not all that...BAD...your just...wrong." To that I add: "Alot"

Sorry, but mistakes like this can lead to big losses, Losses I dont think we need. I bombard you with questions because im sure you had not asked them to yourself, not because I wanted you to post your battle plans (which im sure you have none) on a tavern board! No no no, that would be another mistake!

Even though I dont like you, doesnt mean im not gonna try to look after you, Nicodemus Alwayswrong. You should really consider joining a caravan I run when it all goes through. You'll make so fewer messups. But! If your gonna go anyway, be extra carefull. The Vanguard will be riled up with more hate than I had in the chaos plane and I certainly wouldnt want you running into one of THIER swords.

Mark well the words written on this wall. I told you all time and time again that we would never be accepted, that integration was impossible. They don't trust us. They don't want us. They resent us.

Now my sons and daughters who sought to build a kingdom in the world are being assailed by those they have never wronged. This rabble-rouser, this warmonger, has no purpose in his head save that others of his race are being attacked, and he knows and cares no more. Does he consider their aggression? Does he examine their actions? Does he pause to realize that his brethren are poisoned in their minds, and should be shunned as the abominations they have become? No. He reacts, because he wishes his race to thrive and secretly to conquer, as they have always sought to do.

Learn this lesson, my children. The mortals envy and fear and hate us for no better reason than our difference from them. They will kill us if they can. Join with me, give me your crafts and obedience and power, and I will lead you back home, and punish those mortals that dared to strike against us from atop a great throne built of their tears and lost hopes. Join with me, and you will be safe. Join with me, and you will mighty. I am the last of the First. I am the heir of Oberon's power. I am your only hope.

I am Fever Grey, and I will be king.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
Mark well the words written on this wall. I told you all time and time again that we would never be accepted, that integration was impossible. They don't trust us. They don't want us. They resent us.

Now my sons and daughters who sought to build a kingdom in the world are being assailed by those they have never wronged. This rabble-rouser, this warmonger, has no purpose in his head save that others of his race are being attacked, and he knows and cares no more. Does he consider their aggression? Does he examine their actions? Does he pause to realize that his brethren are poisoned in their minds, and should be shunned as the abominations they have become? No. He reacts, because he wishes his race to thrive and secretly to conquer, as they have always sought to do.

Learn this lesson, my children. The mortals envy and fear and hate us for no better reason than our difference from them. They will kill us if they can. Join with me, give me your crafts and obedience and power, and I will lead you back home, and punish those mortals that dared to strike against us from atop a great throne built of their tears and lost hopes. Join with me, and you will be safe. Join with me, and you will mighty. I am the last of the First. I am the heir of Oberon's power. I am your only hope.

I am Fever Grey, and I will be king.

No....Grey, you will not.

You know there are bastards, and then there are bastards. You're mutt-blood, no sidhe, no noble of any fae court I recognize, except maybe the unseelie, and they really don't count in any book worth reading.

You are no brother of mine, and no son of Oberon.

And I will rise from the grave a thousand times before I let you take my father's throne.

Let me know when you want to pick a fight. I'll be drinking as often as possible from now until then, so just look for me in the any of the Bastion's Taverns.

Preston LeFae

Back