Tool Dip Latex Weapon Tutorial

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
Anybody know where the tutorial for building custom latex weapons is? Specifically, the one from the guy who makes all sorts of crazy items, like torches and very ornate dwarven hammers? I thought it was posted to our boards.

They use a specific type of latex that comes in a liquid form and then cures when applied. What a lot of builders use instead because of the high cost of latex is Plasti-Dip. There are a lot of tutorials on plasti-dip on youtube, just look around for them. The only thing I will say about it is NEVER USE IT ON A STRIKING SURFACE! Plasti-dip cures fairly hard but is still flexible enough to allow the foam under it to cushion the blow, however its not enough when used on the striking surface. What I see most times is a cloth cover is put over the blade and glued down, then the plasti-dip is applied over the cover on the non-striking surfaces. You can then paint the entire weapon how ever you like. If your not that good with sewing, use a knee sock or a stocking ;)

I've started making latex weapons, and may have made the torches you're talking about. To be fair, Mark M (markusdark) is the guy you really want input from, though.
Pint-per-pint, latex is actually quite a bit cheaper than plastidip, the problem is you'll need to buy it in a significantly larger quantity, so the up front cost is quite a bit higher. I don't have a tutorial to point you at, I'm meandering my way through it myself.

This might be what you're looking for. There's also a "Plasti-dip artists" group on Facebook which has some good advice and examples sprinkled all around.

I've done ornate hammers and torches in the past but never made a youtube tutorial video about it so not sure if I'm the crazy guy you're talking about. If you want to contact me off board with any questions, I can do my best to help you out.

I use latex but I can buy it by the gallon from an art supply store near me called Douglas and Sturgess - http://www.artstuf.com

The only time I entertain using Plasti-dip is if I do some intricate painting on a weapon. Plasti-dip can come clear so it becomes a clear coat covering to help lock down and protect the artwork.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a kickstarter for people to motivate me via money to write a book on all of the crafting skills I've compiled and created for LARPing. It may sound mercenary but I've found that the only way I ever get anything done these days is if someone has paid cash and I have a deadline with it. :p

I thought plasti dip was latex. Wow! I'm glad I found that out.

Kyle, that is the tutorial I was thinking of, TYVM

MarkusDark, I think that's a great idea, actually. I would do either Kickstarter, with printed books for a certain level, and as a stretch goal the book becomes a free PDF download. (A lot of pen and paper RPGs do this, people would rather get paid $1,000 up front then deal with piracy and get paid $1200 over 3 years, numbers made up). Or do a print on demand book and skip kickstarter (which has it's own obstacles).

Is there more than one kind of Latex? If there is, can you give me a specific link to what you buy Markus?

I have done some boffers with PlastiDip because I was only doing the 2.
If I did it again, latex all the way.

I've been wanting to play with plast-dip for a while, can I ask why you guys choose latex instead?

Davion said:
Is there more than one kind of Latex? If there is, can you give me a specific link to what you buy Markus?

there are a few different types actually - and it varies on thickness. They add a clay type thickener to the latex. You have your 'clear' latex and this is what you'll find most appliances made out of (the elf ears, scars, etc.) Then there's the mask latex which will dry opaque and it is much thicker (what they make masks out of). Then there's a middle type mold making latex, I believe it's called at my store "Latex 74" but I just use the mask latex to make molds with.

There's some other types but these are the two that you'll be most concerned about.

Basically, I buy the mask latex at douglas and sturgess (www.artstuf.com)

How do you color latex?

tets said:
How do you color latex?

Acrylic paint mixed in.
Also good clear sealer is Through The Roof or Krylon Clear coat polycrylic sealant

Thanks, i thought paint worked but wasnt sure.

Back