Traps and Locks

Traceroo

Rogue
In the Mod Day feedback thread, Dani gave appropriate thanks to Alex S. for setting all the module traps -- and indeed, thank you, Alex! Dani mentions that only a couple of people in Monster Town know how to set traps.

Is there interest among players on either side of the curtain, whether backstage volunteers, or among PCs in an OOG lesson in how to set up and disarm traps, and how to pick Alliance style locks?

Further, Val/Plot, would it be helpful to you to get some donations of some boxes that have loops and hooks and things built in to make it easier to set traps later?

I have lots of experience in this area both as a PC in other games, and a great lover of writing Rogue modules. I'd be happy to setup a lesson like this on some occasion. I'm sure we probably have a good handful of players with this experience who'd be delighted to step up and help out with that. Both of these skills are a lot easier than you'd think they are!

By the way, here is a link to the right kind of locks to use for Alliance, with only one tumbler -- and even eligible for Amazon Prime free shipping! :)

http://www.amazon.com/heart-shaped-...id=1426523728&sr=8-1&keywords=red+heart+locks

Thanks,
Trace

I'm definitely interested.

I'd certainly like to learn more about setting traps, and also about disarming them properly (this not being a thing I've done much yet).

I'd be interested!

I have no clue about the boxes with loops question as I don't know anything about traps yet. XD Hopefully Jesse will see this and respond!

Sorry, I am so used to speaking in the thieves cant used among my friends that I forget to articulate my thoughts fully in English sometimes. :)

This is what I meant about preparing some boxes for use with traps, and donating them to the game for easier setup:

Trapped boxes often involve triggering a noise maker inside, like a mousetrap. The mechanism is often a string tied to the mousetrap spring at one end, and the other end of the string tied to the lid of the box. Open the box too far, the string goes taught, and sets off the mousetrap, thus springing the in-game trap.

To facilitate this physically, you need two spots of tension: The mousetrap, party popper, or noise-making device has to be affixed to the box in some way. If you just set it in there (and I have seen this done, sadly!), you open the lid and the mousetrap safely lifts right up with it! The quick way of doing this is a closed loop of duct tape on the bottom of the trap, stuck to the bottom of a box that is not lined with cloth. It's sticky and gooey, though. If you have the luxury of a box that is dedicated to this purpose, I prefer to get velcro strips with one sticky side. Stick one half of the velcro to the box, and the other half to a mousetrap. It makes for a nicely reusable mechanism.

Same principle applies to the string (fishing line, thread, or so forth). The other end has to be affixed securely to the box lid or lip. You can do this with a thumb tack... which can be a pain to drive in, and time consuming during your setup. Again, if you have the luxury of a box that is dedicated to this purpose, you can drive small hardware eyes into the box, and leave them there for future use:

12041.jpg

Craft stores like Michael's (and better yet -- Goodwill!) have pine boxes made for you to paint or stain or whatever. These are ideal since the wood is so soft, you can drive these eyes into their surface easily with no tools and a minimum of elbow grease. Unless you're handy enough to replace the latch, make sure to get one that is big enough to accommodate a padlock on the outside.

Trace

Oh no, we were on the same page and those were some if the specifications I was thinking on. :) I'm the sort that likes to have something written out on the exacts desired by plot so folks can set up the box just the way needed. I'm also thinking that there should be a way of changing challenge levels for the boxes with multiple eyelets.

Still, good thinking and creativity is always welcome.

yes, eyehooks are amazing... there are reverse tension traps too! To answer your question, we own TONS of boxes already. Most of the eyehooks used are used in the walls of the building at camp and not in the box. When creating a trapped box, it is faster to tape the line to the lid and set the trap down in the box. Keep in mind, there are a multitude of varieties of traps... including battery operated/electronic. mercury switches, pezio buzzers, etc...

The boxes aren't the thing that takes a long time to trap... they're a quick set. It's trapping the room that can be time consuming.

I'm going to assume this is taken care of for Plot. If any players are interested in a lesson, I'm still available.

Trace

Don't assume anything! We can always learn more than we think we know! lol If this is going to be treated sort of like a rogue's practice day.... I think it will be incredibly valuable!

Things I have learned and can pass along to all ye looking to do trap-disarms

-Look for them. Constantly. Expect everything to be a trap. Everything. Roads, paths, stairs, doorways, above doorways.
-LOOK UP.
-Keep your tools on you at all times and find a way to make them as light and space-minimal as possible.
-Take all of your important stuff off before starting in on a job. Tags. Gear. Everything. Always. Every time. If you're going to screw up, atleast walk away with what you started with. This often means clothes too since technically many traps kill even those... so handle that however you wanna.
-Mouse Traps. Figure out exactly how they work and their tolerances. No snap, no trap.... but for some reason i still find them terrifying.
-Make sure everyone is always outside of the likely effect radius except you. You will need them to save your *** if you mess up.
- Tweezers, Dental mirror, dental tools, tiny scissors, Hair pin, smaller hairpin, U Pin, Smaller Upin, flat file, razor, String, other string, Light source. This set will handle the bulk of things I have seen thus far.
-When in doubt, throw something at it.

Last edited:
Thx B! That was great advice! I would also read up on all the trap rules AND the how to be a thief section. As to your last point... (throw something at it) I would like to add a boo boo I made one time in Brooklyn, NY. At our module site, there was a really cool module where there were traps everywhere... like they built the damn mod for me... and there was this really friggin weird technical trap with a lot of wires that they wouldn't let me cut (electrical) or remove (screwed down in place), all kinds of switches and batteries... and after I thought I had it figured it, it turns out I didn't and our timer was running out to complete the mod... and we were only half way done... I took a prop and threw it at the box. Well... the prop survived, but the trap didn't. The marshal wasn't too happy with me as there were still 4 more groups going through the mod that day!!!
The funny thing is... I even ASKED the marshal if I could throw it and she said yes, but then got annoyed with me for throwing it!!
Anyway, just ask before launching objects at traps. They, and the boxes they are often lodged in, are not indestructible.
I also recommend bringing 2-3 light sources as your first might get blown up and there might be more traps in the next room! lol
I used to also collect keys... any... suit case keys, old house keys, etc. In addition to dental tools, sometimes the locks are so easy that sticking in a key of the same size might do the trick!

Is the moral to that story: Just ask the Marshal before throwing stuff at the traps, but then don't believe the Marshal even when they say that it's okay? ;)

T$

hahaha... no the moral is... if the marshal says it's ok to throw stuff at the trap to disarm it/set it off, and you do, don't feel bad about destroying the trap rep when the marshal gives you the stank face. :)

Back