[Twinspire] Outlander's Guild- foundation

Shay

Hello, my friends.

Now that we have formally undertaken the founding of the Outlander's Guild, and selected its initial leader and enforcer (these are, as stated elsewhere, me for Leader and Dame Nyrani for Enforcer; we also drafted Lord Everbright into the position of quartermaster), I'd like to say a few things and address a few concerns.

This new guild is meant to be a couple of things. For one, it is a reward for service. As a result of our triumphs over threats such as Ruen Kraytor and the Vor, we are honored with a Guild. It's a framework with which we can interact with the rest of the world, rather than the ad-hoc methods we were, by necessity, using before; it gives us certain rights and privileges. And, yes, responsibilities, but only, really, to do what we would be doing anyway- answering the call when the world needs help.

The other thing it is, is some relief to the High Arbiter, as he is no longer the single point of contact between we "outlanders" and the other guilds, nobles, etc of the Allied Nations.

What it is not meant to be is a prison, a straightjacket, a collection of rules and regulations to bind us and our actions. As I said after the vote was taken and I was selected to be guild leader, we've managed great things so far without a lot of imposed organization and rules from above, and I don't see a real need to change that now.

In the next week or so I will be writing proposed by-laws for the guild. I invite suggestions, and would be pleased were anyone to volunteer to check out the draft before it's posted. That said, a couple of people have expressed concern about membership in the guild and membership in other organizations. I want to say that I am very aware that there are other chains of fealty and belonging among those of us who gather at the Horse You Rode Inn from time to time, and I would not like to see this guild interfere with them. Members of groups such as the Ashen Spire, the Hunt, and others who I will not insult by misremembering their names are welcome to join the guild and the guild will make no attempt to assert primacy over other obligations. In fact, I would love it if members or leaders of these various organizations who are frequent visitors to Twinspire Vale might get in touch with me, so that I can ensure that the bylaws cause no interference or concerns.

Membership in the guild is not required, though going forward most missions we are given by the High Arbiter, the nobles of Travaelia, the military, etc, will be specifically brought to the guild. Non-guild members will be, for the duration of the operation, subject to guild bylaws- this is part of the structure imposed by our initial charter. What I hope is that we will see the guild as a worthwhile thing to be a part of.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me by whatever means you find most convenient.

Lt Sq Shay dea'Saryn

Speaking of the guild, there are a couple of things I think we should go over up front. When we last met, and cast our votes for guild positions, it came up that a lot of people were not very enthusiastic about the name "Guild of Outlanders". Some of us are not Outlanders, and others prefer that that not be the primary point of definition for us. And so, if anyone has better suggestions, we may have the opportunity to attempt formally changing the name.

Similarly, I kind of feel like "Guild Leader" is a... particularly uninteresting name for that position. I would not want to use the term "Guildmaster", as that is a position that, in other guilds, carries certain privileges and rights that do not necessarily apply here, and I would rather not confuse the matter. So I'd like to solicit suggestions here as well. I'll kick off by proposing "First Speaker" as a title.

Anyone who has better ideas for either, please respond or contact me as you would!

Thank you,
Shay

Oh, and one other thing! Any suggestions/ideas for guild colors and a crest/emblem/heraldic symbology?

Back