<type> guard clarifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does <type> guard interact with other defensive abilities?

1) Does it go off before anything else, including cloak/dodge/parry etc?
2a) Does it function like Spell Defenses, in that you could cloak/dodge/parry first, but it must go off before an applicable resist skill?
2b) If so, does it take precedence over a spell defense in the case of a conflict, does it come after, or is it a choice? If I have flame guard and a spell shield, what happens when I get hit with a flame bolt?
2c) Also if so, can it be touch cast through?
3a) Does it function like a resist (like the older verbiage suggested), and always come after spell defenses?
3b) If so, does guard supersede resist, or could someone hit by a sleep spell call resist command to protect their magic guard?
4) Does it function when dead, i.e. would an applicable guard defend against create undead?

This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time

Guard is intended to act like a "dumb Resist" in that it must be used when an applicable Resist could have been used, and instead of any applicable Resists. Thus, it will go off after other defenses that prevent Resists from being used, but must be used before any applicable Resists can be used.

Thus:

1. No, because it states "first applicable attack that would affect the creature". If it doesn't get to the creature (due to cloak/dodge/parry/spell shield/ something else that stops it before it could be Resisted), the Guard doesn't go off.
2a. It must go off before applicable Resists.
2b. It goes off after spell protectives.
2c. It cannot be touch cast through.
3a. It is intended to act like a "dumb Resist" in that it must be used when an applicable Resist could have been used, and instead of any applicable Resists.
3b. Supercedes Resist.
4. No, it does not work when you're dead.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back