Up bright and early

Romilda

The ties of the tent come undone. As the flap falls open a wooden chest gets dropped outside of the makeshift dwelling. Following after it with a slight jangle of metal Romilda goes and drags herself out, a slight groan as she straightens out. Raising her arms to the sky she stretches until the she hears the satisfying cracking of her back. Tying her hair away from her face she begins to make her way over to the near by creek, grabbing a small bucket along the way. Crouching down she takes a moment to look into the forest. The trees stretched on as far as she could see. A few birds flitting back and forth between the branches. Sky a bright blue, though the sun had not been out for long enough to take away the morning chill.

Hearing the faint sound of giggling and the sight of a small bubble floating by Romilda dips her bucket in to the water and makes her way back to the safety of the city outskirts. After giving her face a quick scrub she reaches back into the tent grabbing her satchel and sword before carefully closing her tent back up again. Looking towards the Lux there seemed to be very little movement with in the streets as usual, but no sounds of clashing swords, or casting of spells yet. Going and taking a few more moments to try and remove the stiffness from her joints, she settles down against a tree facing the the Lux.

From her satchel she first pulls out a small crocheted doll, and seats it next to her, and placing its arms in its laps. Once happy with the placement she reaches in again and pulls out a a needle and thread, a stack of paper, and some miscellaneous tools for her work. She begins her work by folding the sheets and cutting them in half, one after another. She could have tried cutting them in a stack instead of one at a time, however she needed the tedious task to help make the day go by faster. Every now and then her eyes would glance up and have a quick sweep of the area, ears wide for any approaching unwanted giggling trick playing guests.

"Shh, someone will hear us" says a voice coming from inside the fae forest as the giggling continues. Quiet words are exchanged, but it is impossible to make out what is being said. A few moments later the giggling stops and a brightly coloured sylvanborn stumbles from the tree line, shoeless and wearing a flower crown made from ivy and adorned with purple flowers. Jinn walks towards the creek, where he kneels to splash some water on his face.

"Oh great... it's you..." Jinn says with playful annoyance in his voice, as he stands up and stretches, looking directly at Romilda.

"The one and only " she says with a flourish of her hand, still listening to fading laughter with in the forest. Bringing her hand back down she reaches to undo the buckle on her belt, releasing her sword from her side and tossing it towards the tent.

"Well good to see you in a good mood, I've meaning to catch you in one. Wanted to have a chat if you have a moment or two to spare." She picks the stack of papers up again but only places them on her lap. She gestures with a free hand to the open space inviting Jinn to sit.

Jinn chuckles and makes his way over, cracking his knuckles as he walks.

"I always have moments to spare, this place is eerily quiet lately, so I am unsure how much longer I will be able to spare any though."

Sitting beside Romilda, Jinn pulls a bottles of fizzy orange liquid out of his pouch. He uncorks it with a pop and takes a swig.

"Gotta stay hydrated out here, never know what activities you'll find yourself roped into. So... what can I do ya for?"

"Well to put it in a way the greatly understates it, I got off on the wrong foot with ya. And with the way that you reacted to me knowing Rohnan and uhhh....." thinking for a brief moment before snapping her fingers "Calan, its seemed more of.. protective reaction rather then general violence."

She goes and stretches out one of her legs and crosses the other one over it before clasping her hands behind her head. "Though the biggest surprise to me was the reaction to the names, and I think that's where the biggest misunderstanding was. Now looking back I do realise that were a blatant lack of decorum and general tact on my side, and I would like to apologize for that. Along with a decent amount of treveling drinks already under my belt before I even arrived, it seemed to give me a bit if a one track mind when you mentioned those who had been killed here."

Glancing over to the flower adorned sylvanborn "would you allow me to show you why I asked for their stories?"

Last edited:
"I have grown rather protective of them over the past few months. As you have seen they have gone through something that no one here can quite understand. I've been trying to find a way to restore their memories, but Rohnan seems hesitant to try anything, and if she was anything like how she is now when you knew here... she is stubborn, and angry.."

Jinn looks off for a moment.

"As for friends I've lost, I will not claim to know your history, but I can assure you, we have lived through much worse fighting against the Fae lords of the dark reaches. The scars those realms leave are not just physical. I would not see their memories sullied for a story told by those who have not been there."

A smirk lights up her face at the mention of her long lost friends stubbornness. "I'd say she is somehow where between a senile bull and a headstrong toddler when it comes to her level of stubborness. As for the stories I dont always tell them, I mainly just store them and keep them safe."

Reaching down to her other side she picks the doll up and tucks it into a pouch, its head and arms sticking out. Grabbing the papers she gets up and brushes a leaf or two from her backside before making her way over to the wooden chest that still sat outside of her tent. Detaching the ring of keys from her belt she fiddles around with them before settling on one and unlocking the chest. She shuffles her hand through the box moving what sounds like pages upon pages of paper. Every now and then Romilda picks up what looks to be very simple looking books, and looking at the front pages. Finally settling on a select few, all a little worn she closes the lid again and let's the lock hang there as she makes her way back over and sits back down.

"You know as well as I do that losing people you care about is hard. However just because we lose them doesn't mean the world has to lose them to. People die permanently twice, once when the spirit can not come back, and again when their name is mentioned for the last time. Along with losing them we also lose the memories they have, and the lessons they have learned."

Looking down at the books in her hands, the front covers adorned with images. One with an ornate key, another the image of a leaf resting upon water, the oldest looking and most worn had a simple and rough sketch of a singular flower with the letters I.T.

"The storytellers of my clan would always be able to recall any tale at the drop of a hat, me... not so much" she let's out a sigh and scratches the back of her head "I seem to have trouble remembering where I last left my shoes some days. Not many of us left so there had to be someone to be able to pass on the stories, I would never be able to. But at least I could pass some along to help rebuild and recall tales that may have been lost to time".

Jinn laughs loudly at the mention of Rohnan's stubbornness.

"And when you pair that with Calan's need for independence and drive to throw himself in front of danger to prove something, well you have quite the pair. They have bonded through whatever happened to them in the other shard." Jinn sighs. "They both feel like they let each other down , and have different ways of dealing with those feelings. Maybe with you here you can help convince Rohnan to try out my plan to help them both recover their memories."

Jinn looks the book over and a look of realization washes over his face.

"Oohh, you're from one of those clan, that makes much more sense now. My grove was big on story tellers as well, but were mainly from memory. It was the elders who helped us remember those before us, and sorry if I assume to much, but you don't look like an elder to me."

"Hm, well ... Calan was always a bit of a weird little one. Little surprised this is how it manifested.... also when did his horns grow in, I know theres been times where ive seen strange things, but I could swear last I saw him he didnt have em."Leaning back against her original tree and clasping her hands behind her head she closes her eyes. Soaking in the morning sun that was finally doing its job and running off the morning chill.

She snorts at his next statement."Hahaha, ohhh I am by no means an elder, I only just past a century and a half not to long ago. But to go and and see the entire clan settled around the giant fire, and be able to listen to the tales of times long past, watch all the little ones with there nubs looking up with wonder in their eyes....." her eyes settle close once more. "Definitely something I will never forget."

Jinn takes another drink from his bottle and wipes his mouth, taking in the afternoon sun.

"Oh he was human for sure, and an odd one at that. Very dark, things had happened to him that I've caught glimpses of..." Jinn shudders. "Glimpses that were way clearer than any story could be. But it was when the magics swept through the lands that he, along with a few others, changed."

"I have to assume that every tribe, clan, and glade in Turomfalls has story tellers. It only makes sense for our people, and how long we live for. To be able to learn from someone who has lived for centuries, even millennia, that is something not many people have enjoy. Shaping and guiding the destined is something we don't take lightly back home."

Jinn clears his throat after mentioning destined, and his eyes look away before quickly focusing back on Romilda.

"Plus our bonfires had good drink, which made them much more enjoyable, and seemed to make some of the older story's grow a bit." He says with a smile and a chuckle.

A big grin spreads across her face as shes reminded of a memory. "Ohh it doesnt take much to have a story go south after a few, and Olamis, who was one of our story tellers could out drink anyone she came across. Though her stories could make even the trees bend over with laughter."

As she spoke she was looking back down at the old books in her lap she flips the one with the leaf open, and flips through it. Not really reading it, just looking at it as she had every page memorized.

"So, no more hard feelings?"

Jinn eyes her up and down carefully. "For now, if it turns out that you are some minion of evil come to destroy us... i will kill you, resurrect you, and kill you again." Jinn raises his bottles in a cheers motion. "That I can promise you." He says with a wink.

"Oop, one moment here.." she goes and reaches for the hem of her skirt and pulls it back up to above her knees revealing a flask with small vials attached to it, strapped to her leg. Sliding it out she holds it up and joins in the cheers.

"To true blunt honesty"

"Oh we are drinking eh... well then." Jinn fumbles into his pouch and pulls out a small vial. He uncorks it with his teeth and pours it into his bottle. Swishing it around gently, he cheers again to Romilda.

"Cheers, here is to blunt threats, and honesty." He takes another big drink and smiles. "So, what brought you to the lux?"

"Well it's new day and I'm still kicking, seems like a good reason for a drink." She looks at the vials along the side of the flask looking at the colour if each before picking one. Unscrewing the top she pours it into the flask,covers the opening with her thumb, and gives it a good shake.

"Alright, nooow we're drinking"

Taking a just a quick swig to catch up as she ponders the question for a moment.

"Well I was given the challenging task of delivering a letter from a daughter to her mother, who neither of us had any idea where she had gone. Took a bit of running around but eventually I finally made it here. Could have done with some punch bowl and streamers at the nice little reunion, but a threat to my life was definitely a lot more interesting. I dont get many of those.... actully I think that one was my first..hm" A quick tilt of the head and another swig.

"What about you? What dragged you here?"

Mid drink Jinn-s eye widen and he spits his beverage out in shock.

"KIDS! ROHNAN HAS KIDS?!? Ok, solving the memory problems is now on the top if my list"

He just stares at Romilda for a few moments, processing what he just heard.

"Well... this must be remedied... and soon!."

Jinn takes a long drink, draining his bottle. He gives his head a shake.

"Well... now that I've fully processed that... I ended up taking a wrong turn a few years back and ended up with a traveling caravan heading towards Fort Shandular. We were ambushed, and I ended up staying at the fort helping defend it against the attackers. One thing lead to another and now I am here."

She stares back in matched shock "Well... I thought she would have told you by now. It's been what... 2 months now?

She slowly takes another sip waiting for him to come to. Once he did she nods along to the retelling. "All from one wrong turn.. hell of consequence"

"Well... I only knew her for maybe two months before the incident, and we didn't talk much. I really only know the post amnesia Rohnan."

Jinn leans back and stretches his legs.

"Coincidence... hmm... maybe. Whose to say. "

"Ah, well I still havent really talked to her since the initial introduction so I'm not sure how much shes changed. Kind of worried to, but I can worry about that later."

Tipping the flask up and draining the last few drops, a frown forming at the predicament.

"So I've been here for a while and theres only so many blank books I can make. What is there to do around here?"

"Well, I don't know who she was before, but she's an angry one now. I imagine it stems from frustration about her and Calan's situation. Which I completely understand."

Jinn slowly gets up on his feet, brushing his pants off and tucking his bottle into his hop bag.

"Well if your feeling lonely there is Yetta's pleasure palace. If your feeling bored and up for a spar there is usually someone ready for a scrap in the court yard. I wouldn't stray to far from the city however. The forest that surrounds it has a life of it's own, and the denizens don't take to kindly to outsiders."

Back