Upcoming Honor Duel

As I recall, the last time we gathered, I was challenged to an honor duel by Ragglerock Snagglepuss, on the grounds that I insulted him and stole from him, and though the duel was interrupted, I am very interested in seeing it concluded. I propose we get it out of the way as soon as possible at this upcoming gathering. However, I am curious, having never been in an honor duel before. I'm assuming weapon coatings, spells, and the like are illegal, and can guess at the other rules. But what is actually at stake? As I understand it, if I lose, I must refrain from insulting him, and must compensate him for the items he claims I took. But when I beat him, what do I get? What is in this for me, besides the satisfaction of a fight? What is the price put on Ragglerock 'Runsfromfights' Snagglepuss's honor?
Jonathan Darin

I no know the honor duel rules for this land but I thought we would do it like where I'm from. That is, my clan. No magic. No gas. No alchemy. No potions. You ready yourself before fight with potions like endow but you leave all potions outside fight. You bring in one weapon. We fight until one of us falls over. It no have to be other fighter but the other is given first aid and left to wake up on their own.

As for what is won? Tell me if this is good? I win. You either give back magic necklace or pay me for it. You honor me in all things as better fighter. THAT MEAN NO MORE CALLING ME RAGGLEROCK 'RUNSFROMFIGHTS' SNAGGLESPUSS. If you win, I honor you as better fighter in all things. My honor is worth nothing because of you and so if you win, that is all you get. You hear no more from me.

This sound good to you? This how we settle fights back home. Winner is bigger fighter and looser bends his knee to winner. Remember, I know I no have good chance of winning but this no about winning for me. This about letting EVERYONE know I no afraid to fight for my honor.

Ragnarok

I don't want you to honor me as a better fighter. I want you to become a better fighter, and I want the honor of beating you to be worth something. If I beat you, you apprentice yourself to my friend Bethanne for a while. She'll teach you important things. If you beat me, I'll give you the necklace I bought in exchange for the one you claim I stole, and I'll stop calling you Ragglerock 'Runsfromfights' Snagglepuss. Deal?

Jonathan Darin

As the Sheriff of Hope's Reach I shall watch over this duel to ensure it is done fairly. The loser will receive first aid, but not any healing of any sorts. Let them reflect while unconscious about the result of that fight.

- Asher

I'll accept these parameters. I'm sure this will be a most agreeable arrangement for all involved should Raggles lose to Jonathan

-Bethanne

3:1 odds on Ragnarok win. One silver minimum bet. One gold maximum bet. Must be present at duel for bet and pay winnings. There be more details, come see me before duel.

All proceeds go for more weapons. What? You think they go for something else?

-Cho Ko Nu
Master of Weapons

Cho Ko Nu, cho Ko Nu, that name sounds familiar for some reason...

-Leon Sortien

Deal Jonathan. And Cho Ko Nu, no running bets on this fight unless I get cut. And Asher, though I probably not win, can I give him first aid if I do? Its tradition in my tribe to show some little honor to lesser fighter. I know I probably loose but just in case.

Ragnarok

Ragnarok, terms of duel is between you and Jonathan. You ain't gotta ask permission. Yer showin' strength by throwin' out da challenge, don't look weak now.

GRONK

Thank you GRONK. I probably loose. But before I do, I will show him I not as small a fighter as some think.

Ragnarok

If you go into battle thinking that you will lose, you have already lost. I have seen powerful adventurers in their own right balk at the thought of a challenging fight and admit defeat even before the battle begins. If the cause is truly worthy, then one must be willing to give everything to overcome the odds.

In the case of the restoration of honor, the cause could not be any more true. If your honor was tainted, you should be ready to do whatever it takes to clean it, by any means possible. You indicate that you are standing up to show everyone you are not afraid, yet clearly from all of your words, you have already been claiming your loss and defeat. You are afraid and are broken even before the contest has begun, thus you have proven veracity of the label that has been bestowed upon you.

Until you are able to stand with conviction, you will never be able to restore your honor no matter how many times your spirit reforms at the earth circle. Therefore, I find your supposed honor duel invalid.

~Dure'dhel

I see the wisdom in your words Dure'Dhel. I just have had many people tell me I will not win and how much stronger Jonathan is than me. I have been downtrodden much of my life. But your words knock me back and give me new strength. I will do everything in my power to win. Thank you Dure'Dhel. Your words are exactly what I needed for strength.

Ragnarok

Ragnorak,

Me give you and Jonathan 1/3 each of any coin bet. That be fair for both. Me suggest you also bet each other's share against each other for total prize of 2/3 coin bet from watchers. Good terms?

-Cho Ko Nu
Master of Weapons

Me accept. But I no know about Jonathan. Though know, I take no pride in this. This is only because I have an empty coin pouch and I need the money to pay for dinner that night. I no make bet on fight though. I no risk my dinner.

Ragnarok

Make bet. Me buy you dinner as fellow tribesman.

-Cho Ko Nu, Master of Weapons

(OOG Note: No meals are served on Friday night, although light snacks may be provided or for in-game sale by other players.)

Me still need the coin. Thank you for offer but I will buy my own food.

Ragnarok

With so many threats on Gaden's doorstep, it saddens me to see fellow adventurers squabble over what amounts to a bauble and some words. This duel of "honor" does nothing to extend the credibility of either participant. Fighting amongst ourselves proves nothing and only incites animosity between fellow adventurers and depletes resources, such as healing potions, that could be used when someone is truly in need.

If you wish to truly judge each other's worth, then make a honor pact to fight together and defend each other's lives. When the time for battle comes, seek out each other and make sure the other stays alive. Preferably, so that you both come out alive. It is not the question of who is the better fighter, but one of are you both good enough to survive?

And betting on the demise of one adventurer over another is definitely not something that I would consider honorable.

-- Kadien

Kadien, yer stickin' yer nose in where it ain't wanted. Let 'em fight it out.

GRONK

GRONK, be nice. I'm sure Kadien is unaware of the customs of our fellow adventurers. The little barbarian and Jonathan will have a lovely honor duel, I'll be sure to take note of it for you.

Kadien, if you'd like an explanation as to why this is so important to let Ragnarok and Jonathan duel each other please contact them or if you happen to have a free moment this next gathering seek me out as I've a decent understanding of these things usually. We can talk over tea. I'm sure if I miss a point or two Aranea can help to fill in the gaps.

-Bethanne

Ahh honor duels. Yes, I have an understanding of them. Perhaps I will have a proposition for the winner, if he would like to make some gold.

- Aranea

Back