Using a tent?

Jonathan

If a person would prefer to stay in their own tent vs the cabins would that be an issue? If not would there be a preferred area to put up said tent?

Two things to consider, in game wards and being ambushed by the likes of me at 4am prevent that and being ambushed by a bear or cougar which don't care for the wards to begin with. Jesse will be the one we defer to all camping issues but he hasn't denied that request yet barring safety concerns of the animals that roam the area.

I had talked to Jesse about this a long time ago and he didn't have a problem with tents. But I do know he will want people to make their tents look "period"/be "period" if they are in in-game areas. If out of character, Iiii would guess probably down by the NPC camp?... Beyond that I dont know his requirements or what kind of security situation you'd be in in-game

And there really isn't that big of a threat of bears and such... I think people are overreacting, quit being such city rats :p We have too many people making too much noise and stinking up the property with people smell to be all that worries. Pretty much if you follow the usual camping rules about keeping food out of your tent, you'll be fine.

Not really worried about wildlife, have done a ton of camping and know the general rules about how to minimize encounters. As for in game was thinking about using gobbies to buy a wizard lock scroll or just take my chances. As for looking period at least for this year, it would just be a standard tent so would want somewhere it would not disturb the feel of the game, may look into a period piece for next year though. For me, its all about being an extremely light sleeper and an early riser the cabin thing is just rough for me and for others ( with me getting up trying to make as little noise as possible and failing so I can creep out at 5-530 am when I wake up)

That makes sense.

Ok so lets see sounds like you are taking you're going to need to be in a more IG area if your sleeping in a tent IG (bareing in mind, this is contingent on Jesse giving the final greenlight, but I am pretty sure he will. People in tents just means more room for people in cabins and thats good for everyone) Ssooo... here are some ideas for you- cheap and easy.

-Canvas drop cloths, the type from Home depot or lows. just toss a few over your tent and this can go a long way towards disguiseing the structure. Make sure to leave vents though to avoid overheating during the summer... but might be a good thing for the colder months.
-This has some useful ideas too http://moirandalls.com/popup/
-You might also conscider checking out a salvation army to see what they have. They sometimes have canvas tents of different kinds that aren't all that expensive, in Canvas that wouldnt look as out of place.
-This link has some interesting stuff: http://www.pinterest.com/dragonwort/sca-camping-tents/

Quiet fine with it being in an out of game area if need be , I will probably be buying a period tent or yurt next year so don't want to toss to much money at anything this year.

as far as not breaking immersion, thought's on something like this its a sibley type bell tent all canvas.
16316-sibley-400-tente-nomade-tipi-yourte-en-canevas-6.jpg

Curious question: as a tent is personal property, can it not be robbed of IG items if unprotected? IE: I set up my tent, I don't want people in it, tracking dirt and fingering through my stuff, but I obviously have no IG place to store my IG items and tags when I'm not carrying them. Can Joe Rogue not grab a rogue marshal and rob me blind by virtue of rule loophole?

I would believe so, but I am not a ruling marshal on that matter. I personally don't mess with personal gear if I can avoid getting to IG gear. Too much double talk about OOG stuff affecting the availability of IG stuff.

If I get permission to use the tent, plan on getting an ingame lock and trying to get a wizard lock etc.

This is what Marshal Notes are for. You can leave your IG items in a box outside your tent, with the Marshal Notes explaining that in-game, those tags & items are located inside -- but you don't want muddy feet, and so forth inside your tent. The Game and other players are of course willing to be respectful of your out-of-game personal property. This solution puts the items are "in bounds" for the game fairly, and tags accessible to a Marshal. The down side? You lose the ability to hide your items, thus offering that modicum of protection.

You don't get to protect your in-game items by putting them in an out-of-game area, like locking them in your car, for instance -- which amounts to about the same thing.

Trace

Speaking from personal experience of having tent camped at an event, my biggest concern for a "period" style tent is the tent lines and stakes posing a potential tripping hazard if there was combat near the tent. I've broken my toe by accidentally kicking an iron tent stake in the dark. Consider hanging glow sticks on the lines to warn people of their location, and moving combat away from the tent.

I can't wait to get a camp set up with several tents. This will be awesome. It'll take some hardy individuals to pull it off as we approach winter :)

yeah in the last and first month of the year going to be chilly , already have gotten carpeting to help insulate the floor and am on the hunt for faux furs and many, many blankets lol.

I have to say I'm super interested in seeing the tent camp both IG and OOG.

Hopefully will find a good out of the way place to put it , Have an idea of the backend of the field behind deepjugs, all the way near Citadel. If any want to take a look at the inside, let me know and we can go in out of game for a look, wanting to see it in game now that may be another answer all together :)

For those that are interested, the tent camping in the bell tent went very well, the inside is huge and was very comfortable. I plan on getting a heater for it for the last 2 events, but with the blankets I had it was very cozy. The only issue of course is security and with a few people outside howling for my blood I was pretty happy to have had a protection spell upon it. Would be great if in the future others joined up to form a tent camp to give more security to all involved.

Back