v0.10 Question about High Magic and 9th Level Spells

Alavatar

Baron
Per the packet:
High Magic is no longer tied to 9th level Spells for limitations. This artificially linked Battle Magic and Ritual Magic limits together, which disadvantaged both characters who wanted to specialize in one or the other and classes like Adept and Spellsword. This affects purchase limits, but does not change activation limits (like the max value of Elemental Burst or Healer’s Resolve) which are still tied to 9th level spell slots.

Can this be clarified? Can Cloak, Bane, Magic Augmentation, Elemental Augmentation, and Elemental Burst now be purchased without limit? Alavatar with ~100 Celestial Formal could purchase 30 Cloak and 30 Bane regardless of # of 9th level spells?

Yes, that is correct.

9th level spells are still used to calculate the maximum Elemental Burst or Healer's Resolve that can be produced at one time, but are no longer used to calculate how many of a specific High Magic someone can purchase.

And this didn't sound like a problem to anyone at the time of writing?

Is a 9th level spell slot still a prerequisite for purchasing High Magic altogether, or can you now be a ritualist without learning a bunch of battle magic?

To be fair, my character is a bit of a corner-case. I can think of ... 5-10 characters(?) across Alliance that have or are targeting 60+ Formal. Most of them will likely have many other things to spend their High Magic on, such as Celestial Armor, Magic Augmentation, Elemental Augmentation, Storm Augmentation, Rebirth, Spellcraft, Oak of the Archmage (now that Wand / Relic rituals can be put on a Staff), Earth's Bounty, Rebirth, Elemental Burst, and Healer's Resolve. Not to mention Ritual Manipulations, which people with 60+ Formal tend to get pulled to do often.

The likelihood of having 30+ Cloaks and 30+ Banes is hyperbolic; the question I asked was mostly to understand the rule change, I don't expect it to actually occur.

I may not have Seths 100 formal, but with 53 as an Earth Caster and only so many options, that feels like a lot of Spell mitigation.

Is a 9th level spell slot still a prerequisite for purchasing High Magic altogether, or can you now be a ritualist without learning a bunch of battle magic?

Formal Magic still has a prequisite of a 9th level spell in the appropriate school.

You're limiting yourself in another aspect to specialize in another. I don't see how that's a problem. Sure, they may be able to avoid a bunch of spells, but it will all be situational, and their power level in combat will suffer.

You're limiting yourself in another aspect to specialize in another. I don't see how that's a problem. Sure, they may be able to avoid a bunch of spells, but it will all be situational, and their power level in combat will suffer.

All of those Formal levels now count towards Wand charges and damage for Celestialists.

All of those Formal levels now count towards Wand charges and damage for Celestialists.

oops! Totally missed that.

To be fair, my character is a bit of a corner-case. I can think of ... 5-10 characters(?) across Alliance that have or are targeting 60+ Formal. Most of them will likely have many other things to spend their High Magic on, such as Celestial Armor, Magic Augmentation, Elemental Augmentation, Storm Augmentation, Rebirth, Spellcraft, Oak of the Archmage (now that Wand / Relic rituals can be put on a Staff), Earth's Bounty, Rebirth, Elemental Burst, and Healer's Resolve. Not to mention Ritual Manipulations, which people with 60+ Formal tend to get pulled to do often.

The likelihood of having 30+ Cloaks and 30+ Banes is hyperbolic; the question I asked was mostly to understand the rule change, I don't expect it to actually occur.

If v2 went live today, I would immediately abandon Fighter (I am 40+), as in my personal opinion, it’s an absolutely unplayable class in the v0.10e rule set. All but one build I have made include a minimum of 24 Cloaks now that High Magic purchases are no longer checked by 9th level spells.

The one other build had a grotesque number of Dodges instead.

My instinct here is that unlimited is fine, but that the system is just undercharging for cloaks and banes.

For a rogue, Dodge costs 5 xp and stops ANY effect cold. Right now, Cl0ak costs 3 xp and Bane costs 6 xp and stop / reflect a specific type of effect. Each ability used to have a 50 xp and 75 xp pre-req, though these overlapped such that effectively they each had a 30 xp pre-req (5 abilities cost 150 xp in pre-reqs), which is identical to Dodge pre-req cost. In short, the costs were actually pretty darn balanced.

Now there is a one-time pre-req of roughly 80 xp that unlocks all future purchases. That much less expensive (in the long run) pre-req means you need to jack up the cost, IMO. I would increase the cost of Cloak to 6 xp (2 high magic) and the cost of Bane to 9 xp (3 high magic). That makes the cost somewhat prohibitive, because it is more expensive than any spell in the game (and any defensive ability in the game other than Racial Dodge). It is still fair, though, because high magic points can be spent flexibly and ritual magic levels have a second use (okay, technically a primary use).

-MS

When comparing per-day abilities like Dodge against High Magic abilities, please consider that HM abilities are per event, not per day.

In .9 cloaks/banes were counting towards your ritual point total. Is something like this still in effect?

If v2 went live today, I would immediately abandon Fighter (I am 40+), as in my personal opinion, it’s an absolutely unplayable class in the v0.10e rule set. All but one build I have made include a minimum of 24 Cloaks now that High Magic purchases are no longer checked by 9th level spells.

The one other build had a grotesque number of Dodges instead.

I would do the same. Fighter has lost most of its repeatable damage and almost all access to carriers. Meanwhile, Celestial magic uses high-damage pre-requesite spell slots to build into vastly improved wand damage and enhanced usefullness of formal magic levels.

I'm trying to understand the perceptions behind this change.

Did the current rules architects feel this is necessary? If so, why?

Was there really a perception that the casters needed an additional boost, in spite of all the boosts already afforded intentionally and by default in the current proposals?

Is there not a perception that the current proposed rules nerf the martial classes? And this is a big one for me. If that is the case, please, tell me how you see it that way.

If the current proposed rules go through, I will also be abandoning a martial class. My only question is which type of caster will my character become. Pure celestials is looking unreasonably good in comparison...

Back