v2 Virtual Q&A, July 17th

Tevas

Scholar
Marshal
Hey everyone!

The v2 virtual Q&A is back on the calendar! The below post may look familiar to some of you, but please take the time to review it if possible.

It is absolutely critical that questions are sent through to me in advance. In an effort to encourage a structured environment, and prevent multiple individuals from talking over one another, we will be minimizing microphone authorities throughout the event.

What is the Q&A event? The virtual Q&A is a discussion through a voice chat program (Discord has been chosen for this event), in which volunteers from the Owners and ARC answer questions that have been submitted in advance on design theory and development behind the v2 ruleset. The login information will be provided as we get closer to the meeting date.

Who is involved? Any players who wish to join are welcome to jump on board, whether you have participated in playtesting so far, or not! A considerable number of owners have agreed to participate in this discussion, beyond the original three who volunteered previously. The ARC representative will be Polare (Bryan Gregory). I will be moderating the discussion as needed.

When will it take place? The Q&A will be held on Monday, July 17th at 18:30hrs Pacific / 21:30hrs Eastern. An overall duration has not yet been determined, but it is suggested to set aside a few hours for the full discussion.

How does it work? So in order to ensure that questions can be answered in a thorough and orderly fashion, please submit them to me (Tevas) here on these forums in advance via private message. Please title your messages “Q&A Questions”. As we will need some time to compile the questions and provide them to Owners and ARC volunteers to prepare, I would like to ask that all questions be submitted no later than the end of Monday, July 3rd. When the meeting begins on the 17th, we will work down the list of questions that have been submitted until they’ve all had a chance to be reviewed. While the meeting is taking place, if there are any follow up questions, I will ask that they be sent to me (Tevas) mid meeting via private message. When the original agenda is finished we will take a short break. After the break, we will go ahead and review the follow up questions until we run out of time.

We appreciate everyone’s efforts to date for their involvement in the v2 playtesting process. We are hopeful that this new opportunity can provide additional insight to those who have been playtesting, and perhaps encourage those who have not yet had the chance to do so to get interested and engaged.

Please note that this topic has been cross-posted to the general discussion boards as well, so as to encourage those who have not yet joined the v2 discussion boards to participate.

Thank you

Chris Fernandez
Alliance San Francisco Playtest Coordinator
Alliance LARP Playtest Community Manager

We have had a few questions start coming in from different chapters. Please keep sending them my way! I am on travel this week and next, so if I don't respond to your question submissions, don't worry, I have been receiving them! Thank you very much for your continued interest and involvement in the v2 playtesting process!

Thank you very much to everyone who participated tonight in the v2 Virtual Q&A! The Owners, ARC and I all appreciate your contributions, and hope we were able to use this opportunity to help shed some light on v2, it's history and its design goals. Some excellent questions were fielded, and a very special thank you to everyone who chimed in to drive the conversation. It was a great three hours, and hopefully we can look at potentially doing something else like this again in the future!

Thank you

Chris Fernandez
Alliance San Francisco Playtest Coordinator
Alliance LARP Playtest Community Manager

crap!!

Any chance anyone took notes during this, so that the many folks that didn't join in can know at least a bit of what got discussed?

We tried to record it, but the recording failed unfortunately.

We tried to record it, but the recording failed unfortunately.
Darn :( Hopefully someone else did!

Any highlights/interesting notes?

Darn :( Hopefully someone else did!

Any highlights/interesting notes?

Votes require a 75% threshold with at least 10 out of 14 voting owners to pass. We discuss a LOT LOT LOT of things that do not meet that bar, sometimes do not even make it to a vote. If the process seems slow and unwieldy, that is by design so that changes only happen when they really really should.

A lot of people were concerned about the ramping cost of Prof and Backstab; ARC and the owners feel that high repetitive damage is a major driver of making the game unpalatable for new players. Ramping cost is not the only solution for weapon damage we've looked at and it isn't set in stone yet, and we HAVE lowered wand damage by removing Greater Wand and the bonus from Elemental Burst.

and we HAVE lowered wand damage by removing Greater Wand and the bonus from Elemental Burst.

Wand damage has in most cases* been lowered significantly due to straight-up scaling changes as well as removal of the "bonus" sources of damage.

For most battle-magic focused C casters, between the scaling changes and the "bonus" damage removal, we expect Wand damage to go down by about 50% at high levels (which is pretty similar to the expected decrease in Fighter and Rogue damage). For example, my primary Celestial caster will probably go from throwing 20's today (13 column + 1 base + +3 Greater Wand + +3 Elemental Burst bonus) to 7-10s (based on specific buildout).

All 3 sources of "persistent damage" (backstabs, profs, and wands) have been dramatically decreased across the board.

* Some very specific Celestial builds might not see this decrease and could in fact see an increase. Characters with significantly more investment in Formal Magic and/or Create Scroll might not see their Wand damage decreased in some cases. However, those are characters who are often throwing relatively small Wand damage charges in 1.3.

Back