VA Specific Rules Question

Pendrag

Not sure if i should be putting this here or if there is a better way of asking these chapter specific questions.

But i just wanted to check how the chapter is planning on handling Locks and Lock picking since Lock Picks are illegal to posses in VA.

If there is a different area where I should be asking questions please let me know and delete this. Thanks,

Are lock pick sets illegal in Virginia?

Owning a lock pick set is trickier in Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. These states consider ownership of a lock pick set "prima facie evidence." This essentially means these states might put you in a position of proving you weren't planning to use the lock pick set for the purpose of committing a crime. Aug 22, 2019

So definitely keep them with your larp gear.

Here is the current Virginia state law regarding lock picks:

Code of Virginia - § 18.2-94 - Possession of burglarious tools, etc. If any person has in his possession any tools, implements or outfit, with intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny, upon conviction thereof he shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny.

As Lily said above, keep them buried deep in your larp gear when not in use. And be especially careful when crossing state borders with them in your possession. I would probably also recommend not flying into the Commonwealth of Virginia with them.
It's an unfortunate spot in VA where you'll be de facto guilty and will have to legally prove your innocence (aka intent) if an officer finds them.

no one has the intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny we are playing pretend and you have permission to pick the approved locks however for the people that don't want to risk having them or can't travel with them we will have an alternate way of "picking locks in game"

no one has the intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny we are playing pretend and you have permission to pick the approved locks however for the people that don't want to risk having them or can't travel with them we will have an alternate way of "picking locks in game"
Thank you!
It's great to have options to make everyone feel comfortable and included.

Heya,
So I deal with this a lot in Virginia (I live a few minutes from the event site). You can absolutely own lock pick sets in the state of Virginia. If you have them on you, Keep them in a lock box that no one can access except for you, with a key while traveling. Do not have the items immediately accessible to you, keep them in your trunk, or a locked compartment while traveling.
Also, do not get yourself in any position where you could be accused of attempting to break into something i.e. business/house, etc. I.e. if your buddies are like "hey let's sneak into this old abandoned house/building etc." And you have them on you, and you are caught, then yeah you can be in trouble.
Also do not tell anyone you are a locksmith, or lockpick unless you have a license.
As for the event site, you will be absolutely fine to have them there.
I hope that helps!
-(OOG: Mike Taylor)
-(IG: Baron Locke Helbrass)

Back