Visiting

A

Anonymous

Evening Darlins'

My name is Captin Amelie Quicksilver. I am currently only a few days from docking in the lands of Crochevia and was curious if anyone would be so kind as to brief me on any unusual customs in Dagliano that a vistitor may not know. As stepping on toes is just not my style. Further I was also interested in purchasing the services of a blacksmith and taylor. My coat tails got rather brutalized a few months back, and I have yet to have the oppertunity to have a new coat stitched. Assistance in either of the matters is greatly appreciated and I look forward to walking your lands.

Captin Amelie Quicksilver.

Greetings Captain. It has been a while since we briefly met.

I believe you may want to leave your ship out of harbor. It is safer floating by itself than sitting in the docks were the officials of Crochevia would probably attempt to search it, tax it, fine it, then impound it. While the most of Dagliano claims to be merchantile tradesman- most of them seem to be more interesting in slowly climbing to the top of a very wobbly social ladder.

They have few unusual customs. If you have ever been to Rosalia you've probably seen the daily type of life they seem to have here. Very abrupt, very self exlusive, with little priority placed upon the greater good if it impedes or sacrifices upon their pursuit of personal wealth and power.

I moved through a small township named Ironwood that was burned to the ground within three days of just a small handful of adventurers from Crochevia moving through. Last month, they were willing to obliterate my brother Mykell for *attempting* to kill a pink bunny, but instead they only executed him and fined him forty-five gold.

With that said, it is a wonderful place to visit if you like being continuously assualted by former town officials who are now greater undead, a place where creatures of chaos are made town citizens, and where fey attempt to manipulate you into playing a high stake game of poker where you die whether you win or lose.

With that said, welcome to Crochevia. I look forward to meeting you for a glass of wine.

~Balryn

I hope you find better hospitality in Crochevia then I have.

Greetings, Captain.

While I don't make it into the area very often, I can assist you with some information that you'll hopefully find helpful.

If it's a suit of armor you're needing made or repaired, or alchemy/potion you seek, the Merchant Kauss would be whom you should seek out.

For questions about the town and its customs, I'd recommend talking to Lady Diera, head of the Eath Guild, Master Shikar who is head of the local private Celestial Guild, or Ono Krieger of the Ducal Guard. There are others who are equally capable of helping you with information, they are the first three to pop in my head.

If you require a place to stay, Lorenzo's Tavern has rooms available, or you could ask around and I'm sure there would be plenty of folks who would be willing to have you stay with them.

As for a taylor, sadly I don't know of any (oog: Val, the props mistress does some pretty amazing things. Not sure if she has a character though). Though, as I mentioned before, I travel a lot and thefore don't know as much about all of the services available in town as I should.

Long days and pleasant nights, may it do ya fine.

-Avaran
Apprentice to Polare Lissenstine

Can I go with you to meet her? I wrote her and offered to show her around the town....

~Aeris

Good day Captain,

Crocevia has few customs that could be considered "unusual." Merchants are valued highly in Dagliano, and are treated in some cases with the respect of nobility. If you utilize alchemy it would be in your best interest to locate the Anagraph's office and procure an Alchemist's license.

As to your coat, I'd recommend the good merchant Kauss. He is a fine armorsmith, and is very reasonable.

Should you require further assistance, feel free to stop by the Earth Guild.

Balryn said:
Greetings Captain. It has been a while since we briefly met.

I believe you may want to leave your ship out of harbor. It is safer floating by itself than sitting in the docks were the officials of Crochevia would probably attempt to search it, tax it, fine it, then impound it. While the most of Dagliano claims to be merchantile tradesman- most of them seem to be more interesting in slowly climbing to the top of a very wobbly social ladder.

They have few unusual customs. If you have ever been to Rosalia you've probably seen the daily type of life they seem to have here. Very abrupt, very self exlusive, with little priority placed upon the greater good if it impedes or sacrifices upon their pursuit of personal wealth and power.

I moved through a small township named Ironwood that was burned to the ground within three days of just a small handful of adventurers from Crochevia moving through. Last month, they were willing to obliterate my brother Mykell for *attempting* to kill a pink bunny, but instead they only executed him and fined him forty-five gold.

With that said, it is a wonderful place to visit if you like being continuously assualted by former town officials who are now greater undead, a place where creatures of chaos are made town citizens, and where fey attempt to manipulate you into playing a high stake game of poker where you die whether you win or lose.

With that said, welcome to Crochevia. I look forward to meeting you for a glass of wine.

~Balryn

I hope you find better hospitality in Crochevia then I have.
I hate to digress from the point of the question asked, but I feel I need to present some of the other details to the aligations you have noted. 1st off, Crochevia does not make it a habit to search ships, unless they are suspected to have illegal contraband that they are trading in town. However that said, I would keep carefull watch of the ship, as we have had creatures that live in the sea posing some threat to ships and the like.

2nd While your views on Dagliano and its merchant class may seem accurate to you, I have found it to be much diffrent. Now it may be that I am also a merchant, and get to see the other side, but a good number of the merchants in town spend a lot of time and money on the town, both feeding it and helping it. In addition the code of the merchant requires us to assist the town and aid combat in times of need. For those merchants with more wealth, this often means hireing swordhands, but I have seen a number of the town merchants side by side in combat with the "adventureres".

3rd In the case of Ironwood you yet again tell only part the story. Chaos casters there raised undead trolls and sent them to our town, the warlord of the town enslaved people at his whim alchemicly for his own use, and people living in and around that town were behind the ritual that destryed southern Crochevia, and this is to name only a few things. I do agree that I would have liked it if more could have been done to help Ironwood, and to that extent some help has been sent their way, to assist in getting people back on their feet and trade going again.

4th On the matter of your brother, even overlooking the details of the rest of the crimes that came up in court, the matter with the pink bunny is as follows. Mykell was seen assulting a large pink bunny, and not much was thought of it, untill he stated (in frount of a number of people) that he was trying to kill it becouse he thought it was the scavanger snare, shapechanged again. It turns out that the bunny was in fact the Hobling teran a merchant of note in town, and apparently a relative by marrage to both you and your brother.

As to the other matters, I have to admit that Crochevia is sometimes a dangerus place to be, but it is far safer and more civilised than you make it out to be. It may be that your view of it is colored by problems that have been directed tword you in your stay here. If this is the case, mayhap some assistance can be given to try and solve the problems.

To Captin Amelie Quicksilver, I am sorry to digress from the point of this note, and do applogise. In addition if you want to talk to me about smithing matters, I live in town and can be easly found, or you can send a message for me (ooc PM me) and I can see if I have the things you need.

Well Kauss you obviously don't realize the days in Dagliano when merchants acted like merchants, that traded goods rather than horded them.

I stand corrected, Crochevia doesn't make a habit of searching ships- it makes it law. Ships flying any flag other than one from Dagliano are always boarded and searched. Like those from Andicce, they fear anyone outside of the country... be it Rosalian pirates or a Palernan skiff.

You probably view merchants differently because dwarves are very like the merchants of Dagliano to start with. It is odd to see a government so lacking in it's ability to protect it's own borders that it relies on merchants to hire swordhands or even draw swords themselves. In civilized lands merchants don't carry swords.

As far as Ironwood, it is oddly humourous that the town is "freed" of it's oppression, ransacked for what it's worth, and then left to the hordes. Only more odd that some of the adventurers there held the town responsible for being behind the ritual that destroyed part of Crochevia. The adventurer's simply forced their own way of life on the townsfolk, aggravated everyone in the surrounding area, then left. It's nice to hear that some trade is heading thier way, perhaps they will have something to trade the next warlord who oppresses them.

Overlooking the *other* details in Mykell's trial... hmm... how about the fact that Lagraetman gave Derrek, Mykell, and myself permission to execute Snare *on sight*. That he was coward enought that he withdrew that order when confronted by his superiors. Or perhaps they could have taken into the fact that executing Mykell has placed a terrible stigma on Taran for breaking the most sacred of our laws to which he will never be free of. Perhaps they could have disregarded that Mykell didn't kill Taran as a rabbit because *I* stopped him from doing so when we discovered it wasn't Snare.

Then we can overlook the fact that merchants such as yourself asked for punishment to be severe, that you would risk turning your own township into a battleground to carry out some sick personal grudge you have against my people. The town, it's nobles, and it's merchants have made it perfectly clear that my people are not welcome in it's guilds or it's trade.

Mykell is now in servitude for his "crimes" that we never crimes. Rather than deliver a single death to Mykell for the trumphed up charges, he was instead threatened with obliteration. Then he was fined forty-five gold for an action in any other land that would have been simply settled by an apology and perhaps and glass of ale between family.

Daglianian's enjoy mettling in the affairs of others and when they cannot mettle they attempt to destroy it. There is very little civilized about it even when compared to the other nations of Gianeria, let alone compared to any of the other nations of Iyave.

And as to other matters, I have to admit that there are many places that could actually learn lessons from their mistakes rather than commit the same ones over and over again. I am more than happy to see the township burn itself into the ground next time they ask for my help, as it is readily apparent that none of them are truly willing to step up and treat me with anything besides racial bias.

~Balryn

You have got to be kidding Balryn, I don?t think the local merchants have been doing much hoarding lately, and their coffers show it. I would have to say this it is your personal views and biases that are shaping the way you see things. Not to long ago, I saw no bias toward gypsies by most (no more than any other race or group seems to face) however that has changed in the more recent months. The reasons for this are known to many, but even with such accusations there are a number of merchants who still trade with them, fairly, myself included.
Any bias or problems that seem to be going on are far from one sided, and if you want to get to the bottom of the matter, mayhap you would be best suited talking to others about it, instead of presuming that all are against you and your family. I would suspect that if your bandolio (apologies for any misspessling) were to talk to those in town that there is some issue with, matters would be settled (and if I recall, when she last did talk to people, heads all calmed down.).
The reasons why Merchants "asked for punishment to be severe" is because it was seen that the assault on Teran was an assault on merchants in general. You would know this is you had taken the time to look into it, in addition the whole matter could have been smoothed over if Mykell has talked to some of those same merchants on the matter, instead of working on stories about orphans and monsters.
In short I do feel that you and your family bring something good to Crochevia, but if you feel that all hands are against you and not willing to accept you in any way, then mayhap you should leave before you say or do that will make this a truth, rather than a point of view.

Captain Quicksilver,

Greetings from Lorenzo's Tavern, here in the heart of Crocevia. It seems your inquiry about these parts has caused some to detract from the intentions of your requests.

Do come by the tavern, I'll treat you to a fine glass of elven wine.

Safe journey,

Evad

The law is the law. When you are in a land, you follow that land's laws. It is your responsibility and no one else's to discover what the laws are. You can certainly try to work within those laws to petition for their change. However, if you don't like the laws and the consequences of breaking them and have zero interest in changing them like a civilized person, please and by all means, leave. No one is forcing you to stay here.

Diera said:
The law is the law. When you are in a land, you follow that land's laws. It is your responsibility and no one else's to discover what the laws are. You can certainly try to work within those laws to petition for their change. However, if you don't like the laws and the consequences of breaking them and have zero interest in changing them like a civilized person, please and by all means, leave. No one is forcing you to stay here.

Is this comment directed at anyone in particular????

Goodman Evad,

I believe her comments were intended to be directed to Balryn, Good Evad. I am sure that she is appropriately apologetic for any confusion to have come from the random silliness that often pollutes this alleged place of dreams, although I would not even dare to think that I speak in her stead.

@~}~~
G

My words were meant for everyone that is discontent with the laws of whatever lands they currently reside in.

Gregor is correct, however, that it was Balryn's words that sparked that little tirade.

~Diera

Sir Gregor,

That is what I thought, I just heard her comments after I had made my own...

Hording is a fairly useless term in relevance to the merchants of Crochevia. Just because the merchants do not show a profit does not mean they are not hording. It just means that they are inept at hording as they are at being merchants.

It's fairly obvious who wishes us well. If you or any merchant wish to use the facade of some trumphed up charge against Mykell to shed his blood... you had best realize that blood is mine. When the townfolk, the merchants, and the "nobles" cowarded behind some falacy of justice to spill my blood... you condemned yourselves to a litany of gaje thinking. I do not care to trade with anyone who asks for my blood to be spilled.

I am not the bandolier of this tribe, yet as the foremost elder of the romani people I am responsible for our blood that is spilled here. The fact that the merchants of Dagliano don't respect our people's own judicial system is perfectly acceptable, it is also perfectly acceptable that they will realize exactly why our people are spread so thin.

It is not acceptable that Taran or anyone who uses our family ties to gain "merchant" advantages will ever be dealt with again. It is also not acceptable that the townfolk of Crochevia deem it necessary to kill my brother because they have issues with him. It is not acceptable that you think I will forgive *anyone* who spoke against Mykell. If the people of Crochevia wish to see Mykell pressed into servitude, then they will also see the realization that some of us who gave freely to the town will no longer do so because we will not be forced into slavery by ill placed lies.

I may be a forgiving person, but my position is not. I am also not forgiving to the double-talking gaje who failed to realize I stood just mere steps away from them listening through an open window while they asked for Mykell to die. I am not going to forgive those same people who moments later lied to me telling me they did everything they could to prevent my brother from dying. I am not an idiot. I am also far more observant than given credit for. Perhaps this is why my name translates to the gaje tongue as "watcher".

If the merchants of this foresaken town had such ill will towards Mykell they could have the spine to speak their opinion and any wrong doings in public. They would rather scurry off to some gaje court and exact a high price from him while they *attempt* to keep some working relation with my people so they can *profit* from their lies.

I already have left this place. I only come through here moving my goods and to see my family. There is no worthwhile quality left to this town. The few people here who try to do good things are often ignored and more often than not they are thrown to the wolves. To me Crochevia is not a town within a country, it is merely a little stop on some road that I have to put up with as I feed my horse.

Too many of my people have been dying around this land lately. I had to beg the torqs of gainia to keep this town from burning... and I was simply repaid with an evening of lies and double-talking friends. I can count on one hand the number of people who stood and spoke the truth. Everyone else just wanted to see some personal vendettas taken care of.

Well trust me, I can take things personally too.

Balryn

Evad said:
Sir Gregor,

That is what I thought, I just heard her comments after I had made my own...

Goodman Evad, the dreamscapings are not always linear nor logical. I apologize if you thought that was solely directed at you.

Amelie Quicksilver said:
Evening Darlins'

My name is Captin Amelie Quicksilver. I am currently only a few days from docking in the lands of Crochevia and was curious if anyone would be so kind as to brief me on any unusual customs in Dagliano that a vistitor may not know. As stepping on toes is just not my style. Further I was also interested in purchasing the services of a blacksmith and taylor. My coat tails got rather brutalized a few months back, and I have yet to have the oppertunity to have a new coat stitched. Assistance in either of the matters is greatly appreciated and I look forward to walking your lands.

Captin Amelie Quicksilver.

Greetings, Captain Quicksilver.

On behalf of the Earth Guild of Crocevia Fatuea, welcome to Dagliano. All barbs aside, the majorty of folk in these demesnes are peaceful for the most part.

If you require assistance, please, do not hesitate to ask. I, for one, will gladly lend a hand, as would others, I am sure.

Safe travels, Captain.

Diera said:
The law is the law.
I'm glad someone sees it my way. Although for someone who hasn't apparently sat in many noble courts Dierra it doesn't sound like you realize that noble law is something that resides in your heart... not within the land.

I realize many of you don't know me... but I have sat on more councils than any of you. There are many gaje courts that have just and moral roots, however this is not one of them.

The courts of Mistrali, the Elves of Andalen, the Settlers of Cashmere, the people of the Rhahad, the Isle of Dragoons, the Wayfarers of Northwind, the list goes on and on.... I supported so many just places with nobles who cared about the people they served, yet to see so many of you wallow in such odd servitude to a system that is so lost within itself is unusual folly.

~Balryn

Back