Visitor from the North

Hey guys! So, most of you don't know me, but I'm the player of Velnaeus, a character in the Traverse City chapter. I'll been to nearly every event in Traverse the past four or five years, and also attended several Dragonreach events, and now that I'm more set in my finances, I'd like to make it down next year for a taste of Wayside!

On that note, though, I've heard and read different things about the rules of character transfer/LCO policy, as well as seen and heard of several concerning motifs around the Wayside plot. SO! I though I'd dismiss rumor to hear the real, OOG story of how the Chicago game goes! I just have a few things I'd like to have clarified:

1) I'll address the elephant in the room first: I've only heard terrible, nasty things about the Nobility in Wayside. If I only had 100 gold for every good thing I've heard about Wayside (in-game from other characters, of course), Velnaeus couldn't afford his next meal. That being said, I've got to ask: is the Wayside plot focused enough around adventuring that stranger to the Politics such as myself could have a fun time, or is it more a matter of frequency, and the more you know, the more fun it is? As much as I want to experience the world you all have built, I don't want to drive seven hours to sit through ten public hearings and an execution, fight one battle, then drive another seven hours home.

2) This isn't as much a concern as it is a clarification: How flexible is the chapter with Artifact based transforms? I read in the rules of your chapter that Artifacts transfer as simple rendered items, and if they are approved, they can be attuned through a mod. Is that an avenue which could be explored, or are all transforms banned regardless of their balance? I'm interested in seeing Wayside either way, I just don't want to hope in vain that my Book would be passed, I'd rather know for sure when going down.

3) What kind of allowances, if any, are made in-game for Mist travelers? I, of course, can do as much research out of game as I like, but Velnaeus won't know a darn thing about the state of the nobility, their rules, common etiquette, etc. For one thing, he probably won't know more than a few faces, let alone who is nobility. Is there a buffer in place for those who don't know the specific laws, or is it a "You're here, you're accountable" kind of deal?

I appreciate any help you all can provide, and I look forward to hopefully seeing you all next year!

- Velnaeus Xevaz, the Seeker of.... Whoops, sorry. Evan Primeau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll wait for staff folks to respond about artifact/transform stuff, though I believe that sort of thing is usually handled on a case-by-case basis. You'll want to contact the plot team well in advance of your first event down here to make sure they have time to figure out how/if your stuff will transfer in.

1) I'll address the elephant in the room first: I've only heard terrible, nasty things about the Nobility in Wayside. If I only had 100 gold for every good thing I've heard about Wayside (in-game from other characters, of course), Velnaeus couldn't afford his next meal. That being said, I've got to ask: is the Wayside plot focused enough around adventuring that stranger to the Politics such as myself could have a fun time, or is it more a matter of frequency, and the more you know, the more fun it is? As much as I want to experience the world you all have built, I don't want to drive seven hours to sit through ten public hearings and an execution, fight one battle, then drive another seven hours home.
Disclaimer: I'm just a normal player and I don't speak for staff in any way whatsoever.

I'm going to try to find the right balance point between being tactful and actually answering your question. At least a couple of the characters that overlap between TC and Chicago have been actively feuding with the Wayside nobility for a good long while, and the characters I'm thinking of tend to be very outspoken. If you have serious reservations about showing up to Chicago in the first place because of those characters' issues, please chat about it OOG with the folks that play those characters. Hopefully the IG feuding doesn't spill over to any significant OOG bad blood.

It's also possible I'm reading between the lines and finding a message that's not there. It's possible I rubbed people the wrong way playing one of my NPC noble characters over the years and that's been keeping people away. If that's the case, rest assured I left the plot team a couple years ago. :p

98% of the weekend at Chicago is based around standard adventuring fun. Players who want to do noble plot probably will, and the players who want nothing to do with it generally won't. There are some PC nobles and some frequently appearing NPC nobles, but your weekend can be basically nobility-free if you want it to be. There's a lot of adventure to be had.

3) What kind of allowances, if any, are made in-game for Mist travelers? I, of course, can do as much research out of game as I like, but Velnaeus won't know a darn thing about the state of the nobility, their rules, common etiquette, etc. For one thing, he probably won't know more than a few faces, let alone who is nobility. Is there a buffer in place for those who don't know the specific laws, or is it a "You're here, you're accountable" kind of deal?
As far as I know, no PC has ever been punished at Chicago for failing to kneel to the right people. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think you will enjoy yourself there as much as I do. There's a lot of rp for you to do. We can always plan on riding together and figuring out which one you can go to so I can plan on going as well.

Jared

Come play.

While I'm just your average player and in no way speak for the plot team, I can tell you that I play a character as far removed from nobility and the politics game as possible and I still highly enjoy myself. Does this chapter highlight the politics aspect of the game more than any other chapter I have played? Yes. Is it a problem or distracting from general play? Not particularly, aside from the occasional demanding shout to kneel or attend a public announcement. Does it create some very unique and at times tense role play opportunities? Oh yes, very much yes. You can be as involved in it (or not) as much as you desire.

Now as far as whether or not these nobles are "good" or "bad" is entirely a matter of opinion. I do agree that if it is affecting your choice to pursue the opportunity to travel and try something new, perhaps a quick OOG chat is in order. As far as I can tell from attending half the events over the last 3 years, nobody us out to ruin anybody else's gameplay.

I think the folks above have done a good job of summarizing what I would of said. Don't worry about the nobility aspect of the game. Just come down and enjoy yourself.

As for your artifact book in theory there is a simple enough attunement mod for it. Although due to the very unique nature of it, we will have to follow up with TC plot to sort it out. So the answer on that question is murky.

Would love to see you come down!

This has all been very helpful, thank you to everyone who took the time to help me out! I'll definitely be coming down for an event, gonna aim for the spring, I think.

As for the Book, if you need the specifics on it, talking to Cory Walker would be best: he's been helping me balance it so that it can be opened up as a pursuable PC path, and though I could give you a good rundown with the sheet I have, there's a small bit of tuning that's happening over the winter, and some of it is subject to change. I'll be in touch to let you know when we've nailed it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back