Wands

I like wands. We should talk about them.
I've got a question about the logistics of wands though. The book says that I can purchase more then one wand each day, but only one of each element. Is there a reason that I couldn't purchase more then one of the same element? With all this talk of my wand being shattered, and strengthening being so expensive, it might be occasionally useful to have a backup wand. Maybe I'm going after Ice elementals and they're keen on shattering my Flame wand, and I don't want one for another element. Just saying.

Another question. Wands "must be held in one hand." There's a significant amount of vagueness here on the method of holding. I'm not super keen on holding the very end of a foot long unpadded stick and running around in combat with it harry potter style. The wording implies that I could hold it underhand, with most of the wand running up my forearm. Anyone foresee a problem with that implementation?
~Matt, WCV

You can make as many wands as you want for 2 silver each.

There should be no problem with holding it the way you described, given you touch the packet to the wand when you cast.

I personally I plan to hold the wand in the same hand I have a cauliflower of packets so that my packets are touching the wand when I grab them for the incant.

Sunnfire said:
You can make as many wands as you want for 2 silver each.

Given the wording, I though you could only have one for each element.

Yeah, I can see that interpretation too. It seems like it could be fixed with a single extra word.

"A mage can purchase more than one wand, each potentially attuned to a different element."

I don't think that was the intent, as there is nothing preventing one mage from handing his wand to someone else.

So you could have 10 fire wands on you anyway, so that restriction would be fairly silly, except to slow down how fast a mage could make his 'backup wands'.

Anyway, the addendum post will address that, and if it turns out I am remembering incorrectly, and you can inface only make one of each type per logistics period, then you should just make 4 wands every day until you have as many backups as you feel comfortable with.

Sunnfire said:
only make one of each type per logistics period, then you should just make 4 wands every day until you have as many backups as you feel comfortable with.

Except that they expire every day so you can't have an accumulated pile of old backup wands, at least not without paying for them every day.

The way I understand it is this:

You can create up to 4 wands per day, each attuned to each element. It costs you two silvers apiece to attune each one.

If you get into a battle and you want to do flame damage, you pull out your flame wand. If you have, say, 20 uses per day and you use them all up in that battle, then that wand and all the others are now useless. So it is possible that even though you have a wand for stone damage, you may never use it that particular day.

You can re-use the phys reps the next day of course, paying two silvers for each attuning. You can even switch which wand does what if you want, since at that point (before attuning) they are just sticks.

I think if we had used the wording "attune the phys rep" instead of "creating a wand" it might have been less confusing.

ok...the way I thought it worked was that you could have as many wand reps as you wanted...but could only attune 1 for each element per log. day. Each wand you wanted to attune would cost a sum of 2 silver per wand per log. day..so you would in the end be spending 1.6 gold per weekend to attune 4 wands each day for a total of 8 wands a weekend..

-Matt K.

MKing said:
ok...the way I thought it worked was that you could have as many wand reps as you wanted...but could only attune 1 for each element per log. day. Each wand you wanted to attune would cost a sum of 2 silver per wand per log. day..so you would in the end be spending 1.6 gold per weekend to attune 4 wands each day for a total of 8 wands a weekend..

-Matt K.

The problem we're having is in terminology. To me, it's not a "wand" until it's attuned. Before that it's just a stick.

Actually the problem is that the entire wand section is incorrect.

Like I said in the other thread, where I also said, you are going to want to wait on the addendum to discuss how wands actually work.

Fearless Leader said:
If you get into a battle and you want to do flame damage, you pull out your flame wand. If you have, say, 20 uses per day and you use them all up in that battle, then that wand and all the others are now useless.
I see nothing about the wands being linked to one set of charges after being created.

But I do wonder: are wands transferable, and if so, do they keep the crafter's charges and damage, or the user's charges and damage? If the latter, how would it work if it were partially used?

the charges on the wand is determined by the person holding it..it has no preset charges..

-Matt K.

So then what happens if someone with 20 charges uses 5, then gives it to a person with only 5 charges? Same question in reverse?

The wand does not have charges.

The wand does nothing other than determine the type of elemental packet.

You as a caster get a number of wand charges that you may use with ANY wand.

When you pick up a ANY wand, your damage is determined by the number of 9th level spells in your spell column.

Not by the wand, not by who made the wand.

Caster A has a 4 Block, caster B has a 9->1 Pyramid.

At logistics Caster A is handed a wand tag with 36 'charges' on it, and caster B is handed one with 45 charges.

That number is determined by the total number of spells in the caster spell column.

Caster A will throw elemental packets off of any wand at 5 points of damage, and caster B will throw 2's.

That is determined by the number of 9th level spells in the casters spell column, +1.

The wand in used determines the type of elemental damage. Nothing else.

As someone who plays a celestial caster I would like to add this comment:
EPIC WIN!

That makes sense, and is internally consistent, but the book says that the wands have a charge, not the caster: "If you have not used up all the charges in your wand by the end of game-day..."

Confirm that this is incorrect?

elliotbay said:
That makes sense, and is internally consistent, but the book says that the wands have a charge, not the caster: "If you have not used up all the charges in your wand by the end of game-day..."

Confirm that this is incorrect?

Yeah, take out the "in your wand" part. The charges are in YOU. The wand just allows you to channel them.

cool.

Back