Waylay Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phabo

Under the description of Waylay it is written:

A leather coif will protect against a “1 Waylay" and a metal coif or helmet will protect against a “2 Waylay” or a “3 Waylay.”"

Does this mean any metal helmet will protect agains a 2/3 waylay even if it does not cover the back of the neck?

Anything that counts as head protection, per the armor location rules, needs to cover at least half of the location to receive full value, and at least 1/3 to get half value.

That being said, since the Rulebook doesn't have the same partial awardance system for Waylay protection, I would say that, per RAW, if you have at least 1/3rd of the Head location covered, you would receieve Waylay protection per the material type.

Upvote 0
Does the neck count as part of the "head location"?

Upvote 0
To make it simple, if your helmet falls within the 2 point armor description, you will get 2 point waylay protection. If it falls within the 3 point armor description, you will get 3 point waylay protection. If you wear a skullcap, you get the benefit of the helmet.

Upvote 0
How much of the head location does the neck, generally speaking, consist of? IE: Would covering the neck fulfill the 1/3 location requirement with, for instance, a gorget or armored collar?

Upvote 0
I would say yes, only because the precedent has been set with letting people with gorget get the protection.

Upvote 0
and that is front and back neck protection? I only ask because I have a hood with heavy leather and chain around the rear base/side of the neck stitched inside and was told the material wouldn't afford waylay protection 3 due to it not covering a substantial enough portion of the head. Curious where the line is drawn and what I have to do/present in discussing it to earn that extra 2 points.

Upvote 0
Page 79:

Head: This includes the area from the back of the neck to the forehead.

Ultimately, this'll be at the judgement of the marshal clearing your armor, but if it's only covering your neck with "heavy" materials, I'd say that it probably doesn't cover enough for extra protection.

Upvote 0
Yup, you actually checked it yourself so you would probably know best. Would completing the neck protection with a full collar bump it up? Or would I need to do as I originally suggested and extend that material to cover more of the head?

Upvote 0
Though that ruling excludes gorgets and collars?

Upvote 0
Armor coverage is very difficult to discuss online with text because of the likelihood that different people will be visualizing different things.

The description of the "Head" area utilizes verbiage that draws from a time when "Face" was a separate armor location with its own measured coverage. As best I can via generalities and with the disclaimer above in mind, I would say that under the current rules that the front half of a gorget is in the same category as a face plate, and simply does not contribute to armor value from location (although certainly would add to the master crafted bonus).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back