Weapons Policies and Packets

SorinKatt

Artisan
Weapons Policies on Packets

As our game has grown I have started to see a larger and larger variance in the design and construction of packets. Normally, variety is a good thing, it adds color and interest to our game and allows you to make weapons you feel reflect your character and your tactics!

This however leads into the issue that arises, weapons have basic safety restrictions that allow them to be used safely and this is true for packets as well. However, I have begun to receive complaints that some packets are skirting the edge of safe or being used improperly and this is resulting in injury.

The purpose of this post is to outline proper packet construction and usage and to provide policies that the weapons marshals will be following in the upcoming season.

1.Packet Construction:
Use birdseed that is free of any large seeds such as sunflower or other pointy seeds. Because we play at a girl scout camp avoid seed with peanuts or any sort of peanut flavoring advertised.

From the Rule Book
Spell packets are constructed with bird seed and fabric. The bird seed should be the small variety, with no large sunflower seeds or other heavy or sharp items that could hurt. Do not use replacements! Rice, for instance, can get wet and turn into a hardened ball. If you are caught using something other than bird seed, you will have your packets confiscated and will lose your spells for the rest of the day.

The birdseed is placed in the center of the fabric, and the fabric is gathered around it and held together with tape or a rubber band or sewn shut. If there is a “tail,” it must not have sharp tape extending past the end of the tail, and no metal or plastic tie wraps may be used. Packets should be loosely packed—tight balls of birdseed can hurt! You should never use so much material that the resulting packet cannot fit into a 35mm film canister (Remember those?). Packets that are larger than that will be confiscated by a marshal. The spell packet may be of any color except orange or blue. (Orange packets are used to represent alchemical gas globes and blue packets are for arrows and bolts.)

You may want to personalize your spell packets in some way by using a distinctive cloth or writing on the packets. This is a good way to make sure you can get your packets back after a battle without arguing with other spellcasters about whose packets are whose. Spell packets are visible in-game as an opaque colored aura of energy only when held in the hand. In-game they are visible but they do not produce any light. They are not in-game items and cannot be stolen, disarmed or removed.

Suggestions
We recommend fabric squares between 5 and 6 inches with roughly 1 ounces (The size of a standard 35mm mostly full Film canister) of seed in the middle. Pinch the fabric loosely around the back and rubber band it a few times to keep the seed from escaping. After doing this we suggest you roll the packet in your hands to loosen it and make sure the seed is not packed tightly. If the seed cannot move inside the ball because it is too tight, chances are it will fail inspection!

2.Packet Usage

Remember, when throwing packets that if your aim is good, someone is being hit by them. Alliance is a light touch system and this should apply to your packet throwing techniques as well. While we understand that mistakes can happen just like with weapon blows, it is important that you moderate the power of your throws to the range from the target. Throwing full speed at close range can be painful at the least and can cause injury if they hit a sensitive area like the face or groin. It is important that if you are told you are throwing too hard to listen to the critique and in good sportsmanship evaluate the strength of your throw.

Remember, Per the rule book:

Dangerous Combat Infractions: * Use of packets that are too large or filled with illegal packet materials
* Throwing packets too hard in such a way as to result in personal injury
These are right up there in the same category as charging and machine gunning. Let’s give packet safety as much attention as we do melee safety.

3.Packet Review by Weapons Marshals

Going forward packets must be evaluated just like weapons when you arrive on site. Please bring all the packets you intend to carry with you so that we can randomly sample some for safety. Bringing a few packets to be checked or using packets that have not been submitted for testing is a violation of the weapons policies just as using a weapon that has not been checked. We will use Film Canisters to check packets in order to insure they confirm. To be clear, the ball part of the packet must fit inside the canister not the entire packet.

Last edited:
We recommend fabric squares between 5 and 6 inches with roughly 1.5 ounces (The size of a standard shot glass)

Point of clarification: Is it a 35 mm film canister, or a shot glass of bird seed? A single shot is 1.5 oz, a 35 mm film canister only holds approximately 1 fl oz. Some hold upwards of 1.5 fl oz, but even that leaves you no room for fabric or extra internal space so that it is soft.

Also worth noting that our chapter bans peanuts, so no birdseed that contains peanuts either.

Both points added above

Both points added above

I hate to be pedantic, but even with the modifications it is still not really consistent with the rules in the book.

If a film canister is 1 oz (as far as I can tell they range between 1 oz and 1.5 oz, there's not really a specified volume) and you include 25 sqin of fabric, and you need it to be loosely packed, then the end result will not fit in the film canister even if you jam it in. I have some doubts you could even get it in there if you have a 1.5 oz film canister and use 1 oz of birdseed, though it might be manageable for a thin fabric.

... Do film cannisters even exist anymore?

...Maybe locally we should just adopt a reasonable standard based on common sense? or... something...

Given that we will need to bring buckets for every person...will marshalling of weapons be at a set location or roaming as per normal?

I'm normally not roaming unless we are getting very close to Lay on. Trace is almost always at Greenwood Circle and I am in or next to the Healers Guild/Logistics once I get my costume on (And at Greenwood before that). The intent of the wording of the rule is that you bring all the packets you will have immediately on you, be that a quiver or a handful of gas packets. What we are attempting to address is making sure that your construction methods are generally safe and we prefer to do that with a random sampling. It is not necessary to bring up your entire bucket of packets unless they are made by a lot of people and their construction is inconsistent. If you have recently made a large number of new packets we can make arrangements to travel to you to check them if necessary. As with anything in this game we operate to an extent on the honor system as checking every single packet would be impossible.

Some of us have piles of mismatched packets we use through the event...thus we'd need to bring them all, since there isn't a set style.

Fair enough, as I said I'm also happy to make arrangements to travel someplace where there are a lot of packets that need to be checked. Or just bring a single buckets that I can check. Again, the intent is to make sure there is not a fundamental safety concern with construction methods, no to go over every packet intently for problems. This is where the honor system part comes in, making the assumption that someone is not bringing one set of packets to get cleared, and using another unsafe stash of packets in game, or using packets that are obviously not safe.

So, here is a thing that I observe:

I do not own any 35mm film containers at this time, because I've been digital-only in the photography domain for at least the last decade. I do remember about how big those things are/were, though, and when I made my packets I kept this in mind. Consequently I think that most of my packets probably will meet the size standard. However, my packets are noticeably smaller than many other packets that I see in play, and from my observation and given that two previous revisions of this policy announcement made by a weapons marshal have contained suggested construction methods that would produce a non-conforming packet, I have doubts that it is widely known or practiced that packets do in fact conform to the size standard. In other words, I think that holding strictly to the rulebook size standard now is going to fail a lot of packets that have been in use before, as well as packets that may have been constructed during the off-season in accordance with advice that is commonly given on this subject.

It is ten days to the season opener.

Granted that the standard is the standard regardless of whether common practice has crept away, packets certainly need to be safe regardless of if, waaaaah, it is haaaaaard to do this, and we should aim at resolving discrepancies between common practice and the rules that we agreed to. However: Why was this issue not recognized and raised before the extended season break that would have been ideally suited for maintenance tasks such as revising all one's packets (and also the NPC packet buckets, incidentally)? And, continuing from that in a more forward-looking way (since, obviously, spilled milk and all), how do we manage the impact on folks who may now be finding that they have an additional task (one that can have a significant time impact and cost in terms of physical impact of hand-intensive tasks) that they had not planned for their final run-up to the season -- or who may find out about it when they arrive on site? (Yeah, I know, they should read the forums and the rulebook. I would also like a pony.)

Since I'm making a very rough estimate, it's possible that my concerns are overblown -- but I'm concerned that while this is a necessary task in general, rolling it out at this point is going to produce unpleasant surprises. Perhaps we need to be ordering some of these film canisters, and distributing them among the player base at the next event so that they can be used as packet gauges going forward?

Unless a packet is distinctly not safe, I will not be failing packets that do not meet the requirements at the first event, but suggesting corrections that will be enforced the following event. As to why this is only being brought up now? Simple answer, because it's only been recently that there has been a growing amount of complaints at injury from improper packets. Like most small organizations we tend to be largely reactive and this is, unfortunately, an example of that. As to the film Canister suggestion, I am actually way ahead of you and will have a supply of them to give out at the Opener to any one who asks until I run out.

The above non-withstanding, in the end you are responsible for making sure your weapons and packets meet safety requirements. Advice is all well and good, but if they contradict the rule book, please check with a Marshal, and we will be happy to address and clarify any advice versus written rule as we can, up to and including making time to work with you on proper constructions.

I want to thank Zach for taking on this issue, looking up the rules for spell packet construction, and composing his thoughtful and thorough original post on this subject. You're doing a great job, Zach!

For everyone else, let's take a page out of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: DON'T PANIC.

We're talking about spell packets, guys, not space shuttle construction. 35 mm canister is a suggested guideline. I've been LARPing in like systems since 1992; I have never used a film canister to make my packets. They still come out okay. But if you're not sure if your packets are too big, or too small, there is one guideline you can use to measure them.

Don't fill your packets with sharp stuff, heavy stuff, expandable stuff, peanuts.
Don't make them so small that they can puncture a lung when they hit.
Don't make them so large that they can knock the wind out of Andre the Giant.
Don't throw them at people's faces, or sensitive bits.
Don't panic.

Just read through these guidelines, make adjustments to the way you make packets if you think adjustment might be needed.

Bring a sample of the type of packets you make to the Weapons Marshals, and we'll check 'em out. We don't need to check every single packet. We don't need to bust them open and count every grain of birdseed. Let's be casual about this, and friendly, and honorable. It'll be no big deal, I promise!

Thanks for reading, and for being awesome in this wonderful game in general,

Trace Moriarty
Weapons and Safety Marshal
Alliance Denver

I appreciate what you are trying to do with this, but in the 18 years I've been playing games like this, I have never had a marshall check a packet. If a packet is frozen, hardened because it was wet and sludged together, or as big as a baseball or something, it was destroyed or tossed. Basically egregious problems. I've tossed quite a few packets myself as a plot guy. Other than that, packets are about as standard as they always will be. Yeah people complained, but a packet is a packet. Its not a rock and its not a bullet.

I understand the emphasis on safety, but we aren't all out there wearing pads, and sometimes we get drilled in the eyes. Its part of the game. Pick yourself up, take a minute if you need it, and get back in the game. If someone was a jerk, let them know.

Mismatched packets are going to be the biggest problems, plus people are going to be a LOT more protective of their packets on the field. ("Don't pick up my packets and use them, you may throw them into puddle and I need to get new ones made" "NPC's can't use my packets because they are clearly marked as mine" "PC's can't pick up packets from the field that were used by NPC's because they are marked differently." This is a surprisingly big can of worms here to open up.

Again I understand your concern as a weapons marshall, and even appreciate your effort, but I don't see this lasting even a couple of months due to the reality of the situation.

Bring a sample of the type of packets you make to the Weapons Marshals, and we'll check 'em out. We don't need to check every single packet.

I like this a lot and I love how you have expressed it, but as a point of clarification, is what you say here true or is this true:

Please bring all the packets you intend to carry with you so that we can randomly sample some for safety. Bringing a few packets to be checked or using packets that have not been submitted for testing is a violation of the weapons policies just as using a weapon that has not been checked.

Sonofa...

<facepalm>

<edit>
Apparently I wasn't falling for a prank.

...Damn hoblings

Last edited:
Mike... I think you're Mike... well, Fade, whoever you are... I dig what you're saying. I agree historically.

The vast majority of Alliance Denver players have never played a boffer LARP before, so they don't have the factory-installed knowledge of what a properly sized and weighted spell packet is like. We've recently gotten an unusually large number of complaints about sucky packets -- so we're going overboard on safety. Totally overboard, we acknowledge this, and I agree with you.

I am hopeful that once we establish a baseline of what's the right example here, we can let this check slide in the future. It is burdensome, and ain't nobody got time for this, I totally agree.

For now, let's work together to make sure everyone is on the same page with what's the right size and weight and density for a packet, and suffer through this misery together. ;)

Trace Moriarty
Weapons and Safety Marshal
Alliance Denver

Back