What is illegal?

Frey

In some lands, the use of specific spells and effects is considered illegal. Some lands list Dominate, Enslavement, Love #9, and Necromancy in general as illegal, but other lands may have less regulations on the spells and effects within their kingdom whereas other lands prohibit even the use of Wards. My general inquiry is: In each respective land, what spells, effects, and general practices are considered to be illegal?

Horn's End:

Dominate (unless you are using it to return someone to normal), Enslavement, Necromancy, Chaosmancy, unregistered celestial/earth circles dhat last more dhan an hour, murder, assault...just dhe general t'ings.

Something that piques my curiosity. Why would an 'unregistered' Circle of Power be illegal? Do the local lawkeepers feel that only they should have final say in the casting of formal magics?

-Shin

Frey said:
In some lands, the use of specific spells and effects is considered illegal. Some lands list Dominate, Enslavement, Love #9, and Necromancy in general as illegal, but other lands may have less regulations on the spells and effects within their kingdom whereas other lands prohibit even the use of Wards. My general inquiry is: In each respective land, what spells, effects, and general practices are considered to be illegal?

Well, in Wayside, apparently guilds are illegal now, and considered treason if you try to belong to one...

I am also curious as to why circles of power would need to be registered and why Dominate would be illegal. Please know that I do not think them wrong but would like to hear the history behind them.

Squire Theodin Stanhelm Hammerfist
Sheriff of Badril's Rest

Theodin,
I would assume it is the same reason that Wards must have a noble invested in them in Caldaria...though this is a guess only. It has been a while, Sheriff, how are you?

-Aislynn Ravenshire
House Nemesis

Permanent Circles of Power are the necessary platforms for the most powerful Ritual Magics. It is right that a government should have insight into where these platforms are created and under who's control. Ritual Circles are merely tools and can be used by those with nefarious intentions to cause wide-spread injury and imbalance. I don't believe most government disallow the creation of Ritual Circles, they merely wish a registry of where these potent magics are located and who is using them to what end.

As for Dominate spells and poisons, that's trickier. Just as other commanding magics, they subvert the will and for that alone I could understand a kingdom being wary of its use - but in that case wouldn't all related commanding magics also be verbotten? One could make the case that Dominate, above and beyond other spells of that sort, is especially efficient in turning the tide of battles and could be used by a small number of people to sow great mischief - but then again, a skilled cadre of insurrectionist will use any tool at their disposal, Dominates or no.

What I think it usually comes down to is: Dominate is but one step from Enslavement magics; many kingdoms outlaw Slavery as a matter of course - hence, Dominate is tossed out as Enslavement's lesser cousin. Dominate is just too close to slavery to be stomached by most governments.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Aislynn,
I am well or as well as can be expected given the current state of Badril's Rest and no doubt you are correct. But as a student of the law I enjoy hearing the reasons behind them. I hope that our paths cross again sooner rather than later as you are also correct that it has been a while.

Master Dramthin,
Thank you for the clarification, it is greatly appreciated.

In Service,
Squire Theodin Hammerfist
Sheriff of Badril's Rest

I have been told some of my laws are strange, though to me they are common sense. Know them if you wish to come to the Hollow.

Here at the laws of my Bastion along with there punishments.

Petty Crimes

Debauchery- Behavior that compromises the safety of the Bastion. 5 Gold Crowns

Theft-Taking what does not belong to you. 5 Gold Crowns and return or reimbursement for stolen property.

Disrespecting a Noble Title-To include Mockery and disobeying a noble order. 5 Gold Crowns as a base, though the Noble can increase the fine to fit the situation.

Assault- Threatening a protected race through word or deed. 10 Gold Crowns

Crimes of the Race- An additional 10 Gold Crowns in addition to other fines.

Violation of the Hearth- An additional 10 Gold Crowns in addition to other fines.

Crimes

Battery- Harming a protected race without provocation. 15 Gold Crowns, Second Offence 30 Gold Crowns and loss of right to carry arms or manifest aura within the Bastion.

Arson- 15 Gold Crowns and replacement of damaged property

Public Endangerment-Putting the Bastion in danger through your actions as an “Adventurer”. Punishment will fit the results.

Kidnapping- Holding a protected race against their will. 20 Gold Crowns and Servitude to the injured party

Perjury- Lying while sworn to truth. 20 Gold Crowns

False Accusation with Malicious Intent- Accusing someone of a crime which you know they did not commit. Punishment shall be the punishment of the accused crime.

Provocation- Taunting someone into fighting you with the desire to see them punished for a crime. 20 Gold Crowns

Fraud- Deception to for monetary gain. 25 Gold Crowns and return or reimbursement of property.

High Crimes

Murder- Death

Low Necromancy- Casting of Chaos natured battle magic 1st offence a year of service to the Crown, or Death and Marking of the Twice-Born. 2nd offence Death or Obliteration and Banishment of the Twice-Born.

High Necromancy- Creation, controlling, or healing of the Undead. 1st offence Death, or Death and Marking of the Twice-born. 2nd offence, Obliteration and Banishment.

Consorting with the Undead.- Same as High Necromancy

Desertion of Duty- One year of service to the Crown, or Death

Treason- Banishment to the Deadlands with a mark of Hostility

High Treason- Death, Death and Banishment to the Deadlands with a mark of Hostility for Twice-Born

Theft or Destruction of the Harvest- Treated as High Treason

Conspiracy -The punishment for Conspiracy to commit a crime will be the punishment for the crime itself.

Justicar Crowe
Lord of Hollow Bastion

Thank you all for your input and I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation. My original intent was to ascertain what specific effects and rituals were deemed illegal, but it is also just as important to know the more mundane laws.

Justicar Crowe, what do you mean by "Violation of the Hearth" and "Crimes of the Race"?

And I find it interesting that no one has claimed the use of Love #9 elixirs or Euphoria elixirs to be illegal in their lands.

Dhey are illegal in Valdanis as far as I know.

Same reasons as Enslavement and Dominate effects are illegal, I s'pose. Removes dhe freewill of people. Puts false ideas into dheir heads like dhey are happy or in love.

Crimes of the race is doing something to someone because they are of a particular race. If you attack someone because they are a certain race, you will be punished for Battery and Crimes of the Race.

~Sun~

Crimes of the Race would be casting celestial magic at a Biata or Hastur Volg, or dominating a Mystic Wood Elf. It is doing something to someone that is vile to their being. Violation of the Hearth is committing a crime in someones home. In the Deadlands safe places are hard to come by, violating one of them is a grievous offence.

Justicar Crowe

Justicar - Why would it matter if the crime committed was taboo to the victim? It seems to me to be a meaningless distinction. Any crime is, by definition, an attack against society, that it offends this or that culture is immaterial not to mention arbitrary. Can you explain why attacking a tribesman with celestial magic is somehow more offensive or damaging to society than attacking an elf with celestial magics?

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Ooh! Ooh! If someone throws Necromancy at me does it fall under this law if I resist it and then splo them up with lightnings?
Lorgwut

Master Dramthin Hartsboon,
It is a distinction made for the same reason the there are is Violation of the Hearth. There are precious few safe places and just as few people defending them, to add insult to injury as it were would just drive more people to Eire, and away from the front.

Goodman Lorgwut, yes the crime of Necromancy would be compounded with Crimes Against the Race.

Justicar Crowe

Back