What to bring to game?

TardiS

Hi! I tried doing a search for what supplies to bring but came up empty handed...

Myself and my roommate met a couple of you HQ folks at Comic Con this weekend (we got distracted from promoting our own larp :D ) and are excited to come give your game a try. It looks like myself at least (and probably at least a couple others) will be coming to the July HQ Game (I think its 4th weekend?) to NPC. What we want to know is what we need to bring with us. I think some of the folks we talked to at the table said we needed sets of black clothing and that NPC costuming would be provided, but other than that what should we assume we're responsible for? Do we need tents, food, water? Is there a 'here's what new people should bring to game' list somewhere that I wasn't able to dig up?

Thanks ahead of time for your help, looking forward to getting to RP with you guys soon.

as NPC:
Extra socks (I bring 7-8 pairs because my feet sweat),
2-3 sets of weather appropriate black pants/shirts - preferable no logo/pictures on them,
1 set of cold/wet weather black pant/shirt - depends upon your area though, Pac NW can get 'surprise' rain,
General hygiene products (towel, soap, etc),
Sleep gear (bag, blanket, pillow).

Thanks! Do we have shelter provided for is if we're NPCing then? It's not a problem for us to bring tents if need be but it would be nice to not have to pack them if there are sufficient cabins. (We'll be going to the HQ game)

TardiS said:
Thanks! Do we have shelter provided for is if we're NPCing then? It's not a problem for us to bring tents if need be but it would be nice to not have to pack them if there are sufficient cabins. (We'll be going to the HQ game)

That would be for one of the HQ clan that is familiar with the site. The Oregon/Seattle sites tend to have cabins, tee pees, or yurts for use.

Socks - I find that I don't go through quite as many pairs of socks if I bring wool or wool blend instead of cotton, and they are always nice and warm, even if wet. Generally, I bring 3 pairs of wool socks.
Comfy clothes for active use - Don't wear something you are afraid of ripping or getting dirty.
Water - It is nice to have a flat of water in the car, for those just in case times or if drinks cost money.
Travel clothes - I don't wear the same clothes I travel to site in at site, as then I can wear non-sweaty clothing on the way home/at afters.
Makeup wipes - If you have sensitive skin, I would recommend picking these up to use instead of the usual baby wipes in monster camp.
Snacks - Always nice to give you a little boost at non-meal times. Gorp works well.
Toothbrush - If the site has running water, go ahead and bring a regular one. If not, I recommend Wisps, which are disposable little toothbrushes (no water required) that work wonders.
Deodorant - Do I need to give a reason here?

TardiS said:
Hi! I tried doing a search for what supplies to bring but came up empty handed...

Myself and my roommate met a couple of you HQ folks at Comic Con this weekend (we got distracted from promoting our own larp :D ) and are excited to come give your game a try. It looks like myself at least (and probably at least a couple others) will be coming to the July HQ Game (I think its 4th weekend?) to NPC. What we want to know is what we need to bring with us. I think some of the folks we talked to at the table said we needed sets of black clothing and that NPC costuming would be provided, but other than that what should we assume we're responsible for? Do we need tents, food, water? Is there a 'here's what new people should bring to game' list somewhere that I wasn't able to dig up?

Thanks ahead of time for your help, looking forward to getting to RP with you guys soon.

Hi! I was one of the folks at the con that you spoke to.

We have an NPC bunk room in our NPC camp, which is in the barn. There are currently three sets of bunks available there, but there will be twelve by the July game. These are pretty much first come first served. The bunks do not have any bedding or mattresses, so a pillow, sleeping bag and camp pads/air mattress are suggested. Some NPCs sleep in the main npc camp. Some set up tents inside the barn and some just sleep on the floor. Some people feel uncomfortable sleeping under a 30-40 foot high barn roof however. There is also plenty of space to set up a tent outside. NPC camp, even the bunk room, tends to have some activity into the wee hours of the morning, so some people prefer to set up a little further away.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Scott

Just to add a few things:

Definitely bring bug spray & Sunblock (most of you may be covered in makeup & clothing, but some of you won't!)
I'm a big fan of underarmor/cheap knock-off under armor, if you have it.
Since you larp elsewhere, I assume that you have decent larping shoes, if not, combat or hiking boots are great. (strappy sandals, while pretty and cool, not practical at the site).
When I NPC I love to bring a ton of costumes so I can wear my own stuff because I know it fits (sadly petite females don't often have a great selection in the costume closet ;)), but there is A LOT in there if you don't have it, so don't worry.
Bedding - sleeping bags, pillows, air mattress/cot/camp pad if you have it, or even a tent (read Scott's stuff & decide how you'd like to sleep :))
You should bring lots of friends, as well!
I think that's all I've got that others haven't covered :)

Thanks for all the help! I think that answers all my questions. I think for july we'll have 2 with up to 2 maybe's and hopefully more from our crew in the future (4th weekends are bad for us as they usually conflict with our current games)

Im sure ill be posting some more game related questions soon. Look forward to meeting you guys next month!

Fynwei said:
Deodorant - Do I need to give a reason here?

I don't find my surroundings believable until I get a whiff of that 2 day old BO

Bring something you can use as a white headband (that signifies that you are out of game.) It keeps you from having to walk around with your weapon on your head or wrapping toilet paper around your head.

I also like to carry a small flashlight to help the PCs during a tag hold. It has also come in handy when I find myself in a pitch black part of the property.

Back