Wide spread questions

deoman

Artisan
I am creating this topic so that people can ask any question they have on any subject and hopefully get it answered.
To avoid a pile up, please try to get the standing question answered before you ask another.

So to start this off, Here's my question.
Can you pick up an alchemy packet, read the tag, and throw it even if you can't identify it?
The only purpose of reading the tag being to make the appropriate call.

deoman said:
So to start this off, Here's my question.
Can you pick up an alchemy packet, read the tag, and throw it even if you can't identify it?
The only purpose of reading the tag being to make the appropriate call.
First answer - no. In order to identify an alchemy, you must have Herbal Lore (and, of course, HL's prerequisite, Read and Write). If you have Herbal Lore AND three "levels" of Alchemy (purchased the skill at least three times), you can then toss said identified alchemy per the tag.

Second answer - still no. If you're asking whether you can throw an Alchemy (presuming you already have Herbal Lore and Alchemy-3) without first spending the minute to identify, the answer is still no. The presumed mechanic for 'throwing' an alchemy is first preparing it, "Imagine preparing a hand grenade" (ARB p. 109) - hence, if you don't know what the gas is, you can't prepare it accordingly. While in the real-world, it makes sense for a person to just huck a handful of deadly gas at their enemy hoping for the best, allowing such would effectively take the one-minute ID count out of the game which doesn't seem in-line with how the rule was written. (Now, if you're asking whether the one-minute count is a silly rule, I'd have to say 'Yes' since the few times it's actually played correctly, it adds little to the game; more often, it does nothing beyond waste time - but that's another thread.)

Good question.

If I wanted to tag items that don't normally have a tag is that possible? Is that wise?

I'm speaking of thing like paintings I make, or maybe even Gubba. I still regret that Lok's painting wasn't tagged. I think it might be cool if my paintings were being stolen or traded. And if Gorka were to perm it would be important to me that Gubba live on in game.

Theoretically, you can get an asset tag for anything. Practically, they are already neck deep in tags to print already, so they may not be wanting to print more.

DracoIam said:
If I wanted to tag items that don't normally have a tag is that possible? Is that wise?

I'm speaking of thing like paintings I make, or maybe even Gubba. I still regret that Lok's painting wasn't tagged. I think it might be cool if my paintings were being stolen or traded. And if Gorka were to perm it would be important to me that Gubba live on in game.
Wraith said:
Theoretically, you can get an asset tag for anything. Practically, they are already neck deep in tags to print already, so they may not be wanting to print more.
Not to mention, as soon as something is tagged, it's no longer yours (the PC) and becomes a Chapter owned object. This is why so few people tag their expensive armour, cosutming, or whatnot because, per the ARB, anything tagged is Alliance owned (this also goes for Magic Item tags). So, realize if you get an item tagged, it won't necessarily go home in your car at the end of the event.

Mobius said:
This is why so few people tag their expensive armour, cosutming, or whatnot because, per the ARB, anything tagged is Alliance owned (this also goes for Magic Item tags). So, realize if you get an item tagged, it won't necessarily go home in your car at the end of the event.

There's no price limit to that? So if I'm an in-game thief, I could OOG jack Ryan's Plate Armor if he made it magical? There's no price limit to this whatsoever? Because a person can easily spend $1000 on their armor (I'm getting up there, since I make armor)

That's daft

whoa...the item TAGS belong to the chapter, but the PHYS-REP for a particular tag belongs to the OOG owner of the actual item. The rulebook says that if you steal someone's tagged item in-game, you should return the physrep to its owner OOG or give it to a Marshall if you wish to remain anonymous. Real life stealing of someone's phys-rep or non-tagged item is strictly prohibited and could result in your being banned from the chapter or the Alliance as a whole.

David,

good question!

We arent completely sensless and realize that sometimes a player will want to recover a rep if the IG item is stolen. Thats basic common sense.

To that end there are rules which allow a player to recoup a rep while allowing the IG thief to keep the item. This is partly why if a marshal asks you if you have an item OOG your not allowed to lie about it. How it would work would be that you signify your desire to get your rep back to the staff of the game as soon as possible. They will try to get the rep back for you but not the tag. They will allow the thief to retag the item but you would be unable to recognize the item IG.

IE- Davion steals Ferns Blue Bracers of Arcane Armor. Paul wants the bracers so asks a marshal to get them back for him from whoever stole them or maybe I know OOG (you picked them off my body while I was bleeding out). The marshal goes to you, asks for the OOG bracers and collects the tag from me to be given when you id the item. I get the rep back but next time I see you, if your sporting a pair of similar bracers (because they will allow you as the thief to rerep the item) Fern can't jump Davion because those are his bracers he simply doesnt recognize them.

It's pretty simple and we usually ask that all people comply with that rule and that if you are an thief, let a marshal know if you have stolen something you think might have a value. "Hey Brent, I stole Matt's Class ring, its an item but I think he might want it back can you talk to him?"

We realize this is largely a customer service issue and want to make sure no one loses a $1000 piece of jewelry or armor OOG thats just going to drive someone away. All that said, we can't ever guarantee this will work or the safety of your valuables. A girl I knew had an expensive ring stolen from her OOG at an event once, and I have seen really nice dresses and costume armor absolutely destroyed in the course of a few events. I appreciate a nice rep, but leave the museum pieces at home just to be safe.

I appreciate this thread a lot kudos to Deoman for starting it (not sure your OOG name) it allows everyone to discuss rules and answer some nagging questions, not to mention allowing new players to SoMN a great forum for getting to know some of the more experienced players. That said, I'd prefer it stay fun and factual or It will just drive folks away.

Paul

Hey Paul,
Thanks for clearing that up. That had me honestly worried, I feel much better now.
David C

Can you perform a killing blow with your hands? How about a thrown weapon?

yes you can perform KB with your hands. I think you cannot perform it with a thrown weapon. if you can it cannot be at a range.

Can I hit Monsters as they crawl out of the wall? out of the grave? as they are forming? Can I cast spells on them at that time too?

Yep.

DracoIam said:
Can I hit Monsters as they crawl out of the wall? out of the grave? as they are forming? Can I cast spells on them at that time too?

DracoIam said:
If they are in the midst of an "emergence count" of some sort, sure. That is, when a skeleton is "Climbing from the grave - one; climbing from the grave - two; ... etc" you can give 'em as many smacks, spells, or effects as you like and they must take it (assuming they don't have a specific number of defenses which can be used during Counted Actions). Just be careful not to get overzealous and machine-gun the poor NPC.

If I had an Item, such as Gubba, who was magiked to be indestructible, If it was then hit with a destroy formal magic, would Gubba be destroyed or just the magic that made her indestructible? also is there any other way an indestructible item can be destroyed?

DracoIam said:
If I had an Item, such as Gubba, who was magiked to be indestructible, If it was then hit with a destroy formal magic, would Gubba be destroyed or just the magic that made her indestructible? also is there any other way an indestructible item can be destroyed?
Given my past sightings of DFM, I believe (though I may be wrong) that Gubba would be destroyed as well.

As far as I know, that would be the only way to destroy an indestructible item (barring the magic's expiration, of course, at which point the item becomes ordinarily destroyable once more).

DracoIam said:
I would really suggest you Find Out In Game. The Formal system was purposefully written to be vague in the ARB so answers to these kinds of questions would be the sole purview of characters who sunk Build into Formal Magic and have actually read the Formal Scroll. If everyone knows Scholar's secrets, the game loses a touch of mystery and charm.

With that out of the way, Spoiler Alert: The Destroy Magic ritual can only targets Rituals, so the item would be fine though it could be normally destroyed afterward. That being said, Plot sometimes does destroy the item thusly charmed because it's just cooler that way. As for other ways an 'indestructible' item might be destroyed, per the usual routes, anything made indestructible by the Render or Improved Render Rituals must be DFMed first and anything Strengthened by Blacksmithing must first burn through its Resists before it's fragile again. But, Plot has final say and could devise other methods for breaking the unbreakable.

Mobius said:
DracoIam said:
I would really suggest you Find Out In Game. The Formal system was purposefully written to be vague in the ARB so answers to these kinds of questions would be the sole purview of characters who sunk Build into Formal Magic and have actually read the Formal Scroll. If everyone knows Scholar's secrets, the game loses a touch of mystery and charm.

It also becomes less retardedly complex for players who -aren't- formalists to know how to react when formal magic is packet-thrown at them.

The rule book made it seem like you could put both celestial magic and earth magic in the same book.
Can you or can't you?

Back