Would a weapon like this be allowed?

Sonic

Looking for a bit of advice...
>
> Thinking of constructing something along the lines of a trojen (as in film
> Troy) shield with twin barbed blades, catching elements and edges all over, to be very
> much a weapon in itself, specifically designed to be very good at trapping
> weapons and possibly pulling opponents to the ground. Possibly with
> something akin to 15lb dart gun mechanisims fireing larp crossbow bolt (somone pro can make those)
> installed in it.
>
> for thrusting, (with specially designed tips multi reinforced and extra
> thick )slashing, shield bashing, shield slashing, hooking, grabbing, trapping etc Oh and with rear
> spikes for elbowing with the shield the sneaky guy behind you.
>
>
> Possibly used as a pair one on each arm
>
Light testing with a cardboard mock up proved very effective

>
> Would something like that be allowed.?
>

in a word,, no...much of what you want to do goes against the safe combat rules..

sorry

M King

Yea, that would really never be allowed. You could make a shield that looked like a Trojan shield, but shield bashing and any sort of weapon trapping are totally illegal fighting styles in Alliance.

As are (so far as I know) any mechanically propelled projectiles.

Sonic said:
Looking for a bit of advice...
>
> Thinking of constructing something along the lines of a trojen (as in film
> Troy) shield with twin barbed blades, catching elements and edges all over, to be very
> much a weapon in itself, specifically designed to be very good at trapping
> weapons and possibly pulling opponents to the ground. Possibly with
> something akin to 15lb dart gun mechanisims fireing larp crossbow bolt (somone pro can make those)
> installed in it.
>
> for thrusting, (with specially designed tips multi reinforced and extra
> thick )slashing, shield bashing, shield slashing, hooking, grabbing, trapping etc Oh and with rear
> spikes for elbowing with the shield the sneaky guy behind you.
>
>
> Possibly used as a pair one on each arm
>
Light testing with a cardboard mock up proved very effective

>
> Would something like that be allowed.?
>

Actually.....Not a single thing listed here is alowed. Weapon catching is illegal. using a sheild as a weapon in anyway (bashing, slashing, etc) is illegal. Pulling opponants to the ground is illegal. This game dosent use LARP arrows (tho sometimes I wish it did but I totaly understand why it dosent) so thats out too. Spikes will couse it to fail safey inspection.

Basicaly you have theorized the "no sheild" to go with the "no stick".
--bill
Caldaria Marshal
Caldaria Staff

Wow.. thats impressively not ne... Alliance safe in the remotest. But well done on suggesting a break to nearly every rule of weapon safety we have.

You might want to talk to the Amgard guys if you are looking for a more... physical style of boffer combat.

I get the feeling either our new friend here is very young, or is just yanking our chains.

Ezri said:
I get the feeling either our new friend here is very young, or is just yanking our chains.
I would have to agree. I'm thinking this poster likes to hide under bridges and charge tolls.

whorfin said:
Ezri said:
I would have to agree. I'm thinking this poster likes to hide under bridges and charge tolls.

Not sure; he emailed me first with this question, and I didn't even read it... I just said "Ask questions about weapons on the Bulletin Board!" and he took my advice. So I don't think he's a troll, I think he's just a newbie who hasn't read the Rule Book. We were all newbies once.

With the release of 'Role Models' there are some things that they do in that movie which would never be allowed in ANY LARP - such as backhanding an opponent with your hand. So expect people who haven't shelled out money for a rulebook for a game they have yet to play to ask questions that seem outrageous to us. Often, all they have to go on is what they've seen and until politely corrected, they'll not know the difference.

whorfin said:
Ezri said:

Ok back as the response went into my spam

No yanking of chains... I piked Alliance at random as a LARP group.

Im serious.

What I did was to study the way LARp and hand to hand fighting with these weapons worked in general then like product design thinking... cooked up the idea LARP weapon that would

Seriously shield you and enable you to take out opponents easily like going from a ww2 tennis racquet to a moden carbon fibre one.

Thus enabling trapping, sheling, protection from the back, distancing, side protection, enable shield control, protection as you slash still covering the body, enabling faster parrying using the edge or the weapon, etc etc

Whilst still being pretty safe.

Certainly disarming... And why not score multiple hits on the approaching enemy guy before he gets near you as well as taking him by surprise so you can clobber him whilst hes stunned wondering waht just happend that shild shot me, plus shotting the sneky guy comming behind you before an elbow, arm swipe then slash, pull to the ground and finish with a knife drawn from a scabard on the shield.

Not to mention 2 of these would make you like a turtle/tank

kinda thinking like that crocodile Dundee Cliche...

2 guys come up with to you with swords and you say thats not a waepon... this is a weapon !!!

Plus maybe a pocket for a chocie bar or torch.

Think swis army knife or gadget with loads of attachments weapon.

Will look into that more combat orientated LARP group.

This item is def more for the combat and less for the role play...

Still dont want anyone actually getting hurt just their *** kicked

The Alliance is about safety - we're here to kill people, not to hurt them. The trouble with controlling another's weapon (trapping, pinning, etc.) is that it then becomes a test of strength and that can lead to someone pulling/pushing another and that isn't safe. Whenever you are physically moving another person, it puts that person in danger as he has no idea where he is going or how he is going to land. Even the combat heavy group, the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), that require real armor and beat each other with rattan sticks does not allow you to throw another to the ground.

In addition, a shield as a weapon is harder to control than normal weapons. Besides wind resistance, it offers a large profile to strike so as you are thrusting or swinging, someone could hit it, causing your shot to veer off course. With the mass of a shield, recovering from that before hitting someone where you don't want to is difficult (besides just having all of that mass behind the shot to begin with). Not to mention that you are putting something rather rigid (aka the shield) close to an opponent. A hit by the edge of even a padded shield hurts much more than a normal weapon.

The Alliance is a high hit point system game - this means repeated blows to take down your opponent. It is not unheard of having a group of people swing a combined 100+ times in order to take down a single monster. Combat tactics that you are looking for with such a weapon is a very low hit point system - a single shot to take them out. Sometimes 'realism' needs to be sacrificed for fun and safety.

Although I personally am all for all sorts of variables in combat, including grappling styles, I do not know one LARP in the US where this is an acceptable tactic.

Sonic, I think you're approaching the Alliance game with some serious misunderstandings of how the combat system works. You would definitely benefit by purchasing a rulebook (even an old one) and giving a good read-through. The short form of it is that Alliance combat is not a martial art by any stretch of the imagination... it's a game of multiple-hit tag. What is deemed safe in a martial art or even some combat re-enactment groups (SCA, HACA, etc.) would be deemed unsafe here. There is no grappling, wrestling, or overpowering of your opponents. A light tap is as devastating (or not) as a hard swing, so long as it's accompanied by the appropriate call. In fact, the reverse is true: if you swing too hard, you will be tagged as an unsafe player, AND the player you struck will ignore your attempt to wound their character.

With the release of 'Role Models' there are some things that they do in that movie which would never be allowed in ANY LARP - such as backhanding an opponent with your hand.
Well, sorta. I know of numerous larps where mock hand strikes are permitted in limited situations (i.e., no drag out fights, but a one-off or bar brawl might allow for that sort of thing). And then you have things like the infamous stone golem from Mordavia that clearly could never be used safely and effectively in Alliance.

jpariury said:
You would definitely benefit by purchasing a rulebook (even an old one) and giving a good read-through.

Not picking on you personally but I have heard this response way too many times. I personally wouldn't drop $20 on a book for a gaming system I'm not even sure I would want to play. Most other LARPs have some form of on-line information/samples of their rules to someone can get a feel for it.

As I understand it, that's coming in the next edition.

markusdark said:
The Alliance is about safety - we're here to kill people, not to hurt them. The trouble with controlling another's weapon (trapping, pinning, etc.) is that it then becomes a test of strength and that can lead to someone pulling/pushing another and that isn't safe. Whenever you are physically moving another person, it puts that person in danger as he has no idea where he is going or how he is going to land. Even the combat heavy group, the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), that require real armor and beat each other with rattan sticks does not allow you to throw another to the ground.

In addition, a shield as a weapon is harder to control than normal weapons. Besides wind resistance, it offers a large profile to strike so as you are thrusting or swinging, someone could hit it, causing your shot to veer off course. With the mass of a shield, recovering from that before hitting someone where you don't want to is difficult (besides just having all of that mass behind the shot to begin with). Not to mention that you are putting something rather rigid (aka the shield) close to an opponent. A hit by the edge of even a padded shield hurts much more than a normal weapon.

The Alliance is a high hit point system game - this means repeated blows to take down your opponent. It is not unheard of having a group of people swing a combined 100+ times in order to take down a single monster. Combat tactics that you are looking for with such a weapon is a very low hit point system - a single shot to take them out. Sometimes 'realism' needs to be sacrificed for fun and safety.

Although I personally am all for all sorts of variables in combat, including grappling styles, I do not know one LARP in the US where this is an acceptable tactic.

Pity
had already thought out some of that such as softer foam around the edges, the holding straps in a lenght wise pattern not the usual with wise. ie the lenght runs along your arm so effectively this would be like a giant verion of the Preditor movie claw with a jagged shield addon, the end tips double reinforced and shapped so a large flat edge is what hits the opponent as opposed to pointed tips. With the strapping lenghtwise the shieled effectively becomes an extention of the arm offering a massive increase in control and stiff to arm as opposed to wobbly, the sword tips and extention lenghtwise of the arm. The LARP arrow shooting would be triggered by the shield hand using cables (like on a bike break). The whole thing would be very well balanced again improving control. With the size AND design of the weapon you should be able to disarm with ease.. leverage and all that... The design of this would be to pit your arm, shoulder, body the weight of the weaon verses someones grip most likly picking the wepon from their hand failng that cover you whilst giving you far more reasch without exposing your arm

Combat tactics that you are looking for with such a weapon is a very low hit point system

That bits true. This is not designed to pound people but take out quick. But padded up and reinforced so not to hurt

Really, reading what you're writing, I highly suggest shelving this project and coming back to it after a few months/years of actual combat experience in -any- form of LARP. The impracticalities will be obvious by that point.

markusdark said:
Not picking on you personally
No worries.
but I have heard this response way too many times. I personally wouldn't drop $20 on a book for a gaming system I'm not even sure I would want to play. Most other LARPs have some form of on-line information/samples of their rules to someone can get a feel for it.
That's allegedly going to happen with the next rules set, but my presumption here is that Sonic wanted to play Alliance, which was why he was asking about the weapon in the first place. If the presumption is false, then the intent of the post seems more trollish than anything else. If the presumption is true, buying the book is the first step, not coming up with cruh-zay-zee weapon builds (cool as they might be).

Actually, he said in his last post that he picked The Alliance at random. He was just looking into LARPs in general and hit this one first. It wasn't a troll but some cool weapon he thought could work in a LARP. And, personally, if he finds it, I'd love to know so I could try it out. ;)

markusdark said:
Actually, he said in his last post that he picked The Alliance at random. He was just looking into LARPs in general and hit this one first. It wasn't a troll but some cool weapon he thought could work in a LARP. And, personally, if he finds it, I'd love to know so I could try it out. ;)

Mark is quite right in his assesment of me jpariury .

I used to design and make conventional LARP weapons for 2 years inc custom ones during my equivalent of your High School till it was interfearign with education.

Towards the end this item was on the ideas board (much in the way The Nazis where experimenting with jets towards the end of WW2 but war ended before they could be used)

Now over a decade later Looking to try getting into UNi again this time on a product design course and thought this is something I can make and would be a very advanced LARP weapon, with many features and designed on an engineering thinking way to win LARP fights.

And did do some LARP fighting with was not to impressed with as looking for something more realisitic & less wimpy.

This idea concept weapon was cooked up to win against LARP tactics and knowledge of Latex weapon construction. Hence multiple disarming/pinning points, body protection, abilty to attack and defend from nulitple angles and instant parrying with other edges of the weapon.

Ie normally you would slash and be vunerable. With this you slash, are shiled then elbow wht the rear spikes then sweep back

Not looking to Join Allianace as said it was picked at random, looking into feasibility of a 'hi tech prototype concept' LARP weapon engineered as a combat winner

The main problem being the weight so this would be more a big boys toy

Back