Would you continue to donate things to chapters...

markusdark

Knight
If you didn't receive gobbies for it?

I'm just curious as I have been donating things lately to the local chapter 'on the sly' and someone asked me why I do it if I'm not getting any gobbies for it. I was actually shocked that I never thought about it as usually when someone asks me for something to help enhance a game, I'll go out of my way to do it.

I would definitely be less-inclined to make monetary and material donations without being compensated. With the 1.2 kids I have now, I have to make sure that they are taken care of, along with my wife.

There are some things that I have donated without expecting reward, like some old costume items which I was never going to use again. However, seeing as how they were not of use to me, I was not losing value by donating them, but gaining value added to my LARPing experience. I have also donated cash to a couple chapters and items to the Traverse City auction. It is highly unlikely that I would have gone through that trouble without some kind of compensation.

Now, I may have accepted in-game compensation for my character or some kind of personal Plot or something (if at my local chapter), rather than Goblin Stamps; but I see Gobbies as a great way for the return on your donation investment to be standardized.

Everyone knows what they're going to get from a particular donation and everyone gets the same benefits from spending those points that they earn (monthly/event blankets, production, coin, etc.). In this way, there is no argument of "Well, his Plot arc was cooler and more involved than mine." or "He got a better MI in-game because of his donations and I got this crappy mace that I don't even have the skill to use!".

Donations of my time and sills, however, are a dfferent story. I am fairly generous with my own time and do not see it as burdensome to lend it to a needy cause. If there were no compensation for donations, I would still likely volunteer to help with things that I am skilled in: website stuff, cleaning, organizing, building (both foam and real construction, if the materials were provided), etc. Again, though, the Goblin Stamp system helps to provide a standard reward for everyone's time so that no one feels slighted and we can all donate on an even playing field.

-Luke

A follow up if I can partially hijack a thread, In addition to would you donate if Goblins didn't exist, what items could be removed that you might still consider donating. Specifically remembering no one would be able to use removed items.

1.) What if extra Experience was removed?
2.) What if Blankets (at all) for non-attended events were removed?
3.) What if everything but production purchases were removed?
4.) What if the all persist rewards were removed (buy back deaths etc.) but event rewards only existed (similar to the blessing system in place at some chapters) or the rewards were limited to spell craftable effects only lasting no more then 5 days?

Added After the edit- Please note none of the above is being considered in any way current and is purely a thought experiment.

I, in fact, volunteered to do logistics for my local chapter because my chapter needed someone dedicated to it. The goblin stamps are just a bonus. I'd keep doing it even if I didn't get them.

I absolutely appreciate them though, so, cold dead hands, etc. :funny:

I might be a little crazy.

1.) What if extra Experience was removed?
2.) What if Blankets (at all) for non-attended events were removed?
3.) What if everything but production purchases were removed?
4.) What if the all persist rewards were removed (buy back deaths etc.) but event rewards only existed (similar to the blessing system in place at some chapters) or the rewards were limited to spell craftable effects only lasting no more then 5 days?

1. Meh, I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't pitch a fit.
2. I'd be kind of angry. Real life comes first and missed event blankets at least let you be less angry at Real Life for getting in the way of Fun.
3. Meh.
4. Removing death buy backs is way too loaded of a question for me to answer. I love our Tidings, and I think more chapters should do stuff like that... But death buybacks are integral to the retirement system, which already is pretty sucky.

Warlok said:
I would definitely be less-inclined to make monetary and material donations without being compensated. With the 1.2 kids I have now, I have to make sure that they are taken care of, along with my wife.
My apologies, but how does receiving goblin points help ensure that your wife and kids are taken care of?

I suppose I was very vague in my statement...Goblin Stamps don't help me take care of them. What I was trying to say is that my spending money on material things for donation is moderately justifiable since I am receiving compensation for it. If not for the Goblin Stamps, those resources would likely be used elsewhere and not donated.

-Luke

jpariury said:
Warlok said:
My apologies, but how does receiving goblin points help ensure that your wife and kids are taken care of?

Instead of using cash to pay-no-play. He can use his gobbies to "blanket" the event. Saving him cash in the long run.

markusdark said:
If you didn't receive gobbies for it?

I'm just curious as I have been donating things lately to the local chapter 'on the sly' and someone asked me why I do it if I'm not getting any gobbies for it. I was actually shocked that I never thought about it as usually when someone asks me for something to help enhance a game, I'll go out of my way to do it.

I totally get not asking for gobbie compensation, because sometimes you just don't care. But at the same time I'd think the chapter would give them to you "on the sly" without talking to you about it because it's free for them and you are doing them a service. I personally am a fan of rewarding people foe what they do - it keeps most people inclined to continue (it's like positive feedback in the form of imaginary limited use currency). :)

Yes, I certainly would.

I (along with others) bought land at which to run Alliance HQ. The work and effort going into this project for some of us is in the tens of thousands of dollars a year while making no profit. In fact, we've put in capital infusions each of the past four years to keep it going. Gobbies and even dragon stamps can't even begin to dent into the idea of compensation. One of our owners puts in about $5k a year and hasn't played the game in more than two years. This is where we choose to put some of our discretionary income. We give up bigger vacations, faster cars, fancy landscaping at our homes, etc. for something we care about and people we care about.

Sometimes people just do things to be altruistic or see something they love grow or to give back to something that's been a big part of their life. Someone asking why you donate without compensation seems to me to be a lack of perspective on their part. There comes a point when the XP and magic items and other things just don't matter any more. "Winning" the game and keeping up with the Sir Joneses doesn't matter anymore. Things like building an NPC bunk room, putting in more lighting, a stove and an oven matter.

You're a giver Mark, and that's a great thing in my book.

I feel kind of funny posting this, as it seems a little self aggrandizing. But I thought my perspective might be useful to you and others.

Scott

I guess I am slightly less altruistic.

If those items/perks were removed, I would only dedicate/donate my time/items/cash to my local chapter (or maybe chapters within driving distance). I would not invest in any other chapter as there would be no incentive for me to do so.

-Ryan

Dr_Chill said:
I guess I am slightly less altruistic.

If those items/perks were removed, I would only dedicate/donate my time/items/cash to my local chapter (or maybe chapters within driving distance). I would not invest in any other chapter as there would be no incentive for me to do so.

-Ryan

I don't think that makes you less altruistic. I'm a big fan of "charity begins at home" and "think globally, act locally".

If everyone took care of their own backyard, there would be less need to send aid to other places.

And we all have limited resources, even the billionaires. In the end, we all choose to spend those resources on what is important to us. Even the most altruistic, charitable act has some self interest involved...even if it's "merely" a feeling of well being and contentment with your actions.

Scott

The gobbies are certainly nice, but honestly, sometimes stuff just needs to get done, and somebody needs to step up to do it. I've done medical at CT for ages, and was a bit caught off guard when I saw HQ offered gobbies for being on-call - just because I'd never thought of that before. ::shrugs:: In my mind, it was just something that I did, for the game, because it was needed and I could fill the role.

It's fairly easy to justify things like spending some time, or donating minor things/stuff you weren't going to use anyway, without the gobbies. For more expensive stuff, it gets a little harder. The gobbies help with the motivation. Dumping $150 on makeup will certainly help the game continue as it should, and will help the players enjoy it more... but having the added extra might help entice someone to help with the harder to get/afford items.

In my mind, gobbies exemplify the whole "you get out of it what you put into it" concept - folks who do more for the game (in an OOG sense) get a reward back. I'm fine with it if the system changes in terms of how they can be spent/what they can be spent on, but I think that there should be some sort of system for rewarding the contributors.

It's a fact of psychology: Rewards incentives people. You could change the rewards to gobbies to something else. For example, in the workplace you can get praise, recognition, favors, credibility... The problem is, gobbies are nothing (they cost nothing in real life, hardly any effort no money) and anything you replace it with will either cost more money or take more effort. In addition, gobbies are mostly* fair in their distribution.

In response for me, personally, I wouldn't donate money or things that cost me money hardly ever. I just don't have a whole lot of the stuff after I finish paying my bills. But right now I'm trying to help my chapter improve their logistics software because I have the skills to do so, and it would help the game immensely. That's something I'd do regardless of the reward.

*There's still wiggle room for favoritism, especially amongst staff positions or for owners who don't have a set donation guideline.

Duke Frost said:
You're a giver Mark, and that's a great thing in my book.

I feel kind of funny posting this, as it seems a little self aggrandizing. But I thought my perspective might be useful to you and others.

Scott

It's a good perspective to come from :)
Without people like you, the other owners of FP, and everyone else like you, Mark, this game wouldn't be half of what it is. Dragon stamps and perks certainly don't compare to your contributions, but they aren't meant to (IMO), they are a small thank you for doing something awesome. Personally, I don't think people like you get enough thank yous, and that's why there is so much burn-out.

So, to everyone that works their butt off and doesn't really care about the XP or the build but really cares about the experiences and building our community and game, Thank you.

[/end cheesy PSA-like statement]

Yes, probably, although the gas prices among other things have essentially killed my larping hobby just now. $100 in gas just to get to game is a dealbreaker, so donations are right out.

Absolutely, I would continue to donate. I am not a crafty person, nor do I have much disposable income so I donate a lot of my time to the game. I love this hobby and Alliance as a game so I want to see it become the best it can be. Giving out gobbies makes it easier to get those last minute donations in but I think they are merely a means to an end. Some people will just not donate if they receive no benefit. I can't fault them for it nor do I think any less of them. I dislike the mentality but thus is life.

I think if we looked at the game for what it is people wouldn't get so hung up on the compensation. The game is run on volunteering and donation. Event fees pay for the site with very little left over. If people want a quality game then quality donations/time needs to go into it. The more people put into it, the better the game experience and isn't that why we LARP, for the experience? The idea that the game is only fun if I can get wicked LCO items and monthly blankets saddens me slightly.

That being said, as a plot member I love gobbies because they get us the things we need for the game without having to seem like we have our hands out all the time. So I would never want to do away with them, I just don't care for some of the attitudes it spawns.

Really, when it comes down to it, I hate what gobbies do to the game. Half of the problems with scaling that we have can be directly traced back to proliferation of magic items and exponential build gain issues, both of which are aided and abetted by goblin stamps.

Wraith said:
Really, when it comes down to it, I hate what gobbies do to the game. Half of the problems with scaling that we have can be directly traced back to proliferation of magic items and exponential build gain issues, both of which are aided and abetted by goblin stamps.

Do you have a potential alternative?

I know that I don't.

Stephen

Not that doesn't lead to lower player turnouts.

I mean, really, you can run the game as a business, and charge admission high enough to cover your props budget, but you'll lose players who can't afford it.

Or you can make do with shitty costumes, camps, and reps, which will drive away players who expect a certain level of quality from events they pay to go to. The general solution for games larger than us in Europe seems to be a higher gate cost, with less events per year.

Unless, of course, someone fantastically wealthy wants to bankroll a game. Maybe corporate sponsorship?

Keeping with the system we have now, where games -need- those donations to keep running, my only real suggestion is that we find ways to reward players that aren't crippling to scaling. Here's a fun one. GS items and blankets create effective social strata in the game anyway, as characters grow in power much, much faster than their peers. Why not make that explicit and reward donators with in-game social rank?

Alternatively, given how popular auctions seem to be, just put up preconstructed items for auction in real world money during the offseason.

Wraith said:
Alternatively, given how popular auctions seem to be, just put up preconstructed items for auction in real world money during the offseason.

I dunno... I think auctions are as popular as they are because it's basically Monopoly money.

Granted, I say that knowing full well that if a chapter decided to auction off magic items of considerable value for Cashola... I would at least THINK about taking up a collection to bid on it...

Stephen

Back