wylderkins unite!

I have plans to be a Raccoon-kin soon. i have pretty much the whole costume figured out... except i'have trouble figuring out the ears. I've seen ears on head bands but do they stay on when moving through the trees? i'd be afraid that it would fall off when caught by a branch. i've thought about sewing ears into a cloak or hunting jacket, but then I wouldnt be able to take the hood off... so I'm asking the wylderkin community for help with my ears.... and pictures would be cool or websites too.

thanks guys
Matt

No IG name, yet...

All the raccoon kin I've seen out here in the northwest don't use prosthetic ears. Just makeup... take of that what you will.

For my rabbit we attached the ears to a flexible gel hairband. This allows for a good amount of re-positioning, a few holes in a decent bandanna helps pull it all together. Aside from the snicker that occurred with the girls while I was testing hairbands for comfort it's proven to be a very effective solution!

for my wolf-kyn I just took some old elf ears and mixed latex and paint then did them up.

My fox-kin's ears are built into a bandana. As noted above though, you don't actually need ears.

On an additional note, if you're going to make some kind of prosthetic ears, make sure you cover up your actual ears. I tie my bandana lower than my ears to cover them, and Sean's are just extensions of his normal ears. You want to avoid having two sets of ears, it looks goofy.

As my coyote-kin I've done like 99 different ears

I've done necomimis, remote control ears, head band, and ect. The best decision is if you use a head band, i anchor it with a beanie or skull cap. Cause I do a lot of physical role play where I'm thrashing my head and running around and being crazy. Also it hides your real ears too.

Sometimes it's good to have multiple ears. I have ears sewn onto shrouds, hoods, and multiple stuff I've needed. I just always try to wear a beanie or hat cause it goes with my char history. For a year I even just made a bandana that tied around my forehead and wore a white head band underneath to anchor the headband. Worked awesome.

My coyote muzzle came from northfur as well as I'm getting my three piece pros. on a valor hood from them on Wednesday. Can't wait to see my stags face from them. Great company. Great products. Worth every cent.

MissDragGunn said:
As my coyote-kin I've done like 99 different ears

I've done necomimis, remote control ears, head band, and ect. The best decision is if you use a head band, i anchor it with a beanie or skull cap. Cause I do a lot of physical role play where I'm thrashing my head and running around and being crazy. Also it hides your real ears too.

How easy is it to properly hide the sensor rig on those necomimi ear rigs, anyway? Do you need a full mask, or is a headband-style sorta thing enough to keep you from looking lumpy-headed on one side?

Do not do not do not get necomimis for larp. They are really easy to bust and I was lucky to get the use I got out of them. If you read intensely into the reviews. They hardly last three months for cosplayers. I was lucky to get the year I had out of them.

If you go on j-list they have a version of necomimis you control by a remote. They're 10$ I've been using them and they aren't as impressive as the necomimis but they still move and better made. And for the price it's worth it. I recommend those. I make my own covers for them and they work fine. I get the twitch and that's good enough for me.

But as for the necomimis I hid the sensor under my hat but the ear piece that goes on your ear lobe hurts by 2pm Saturday. But again. Not worth it. Not worth it. Not worth it.

Gabe, the Alliance Convention Coordinator, has a set of those (or something very similar to them) that he's been using for several events now without a problem. He's essentially playing a non-combat character though.

obcidian_bandit said:
Gabe, the Alliance Convention Coordinator, has a set of those (or something very similar to them) that he's been using for several events now without a problem. He's essentially playing a non-combat character though.

When he knows he is going to head out adventuring, he has a soft pair on a headband for combat.

thanks for all your input.

I think I've figured out a custom design that I'll try to get northfur to make based on your suggestions and the vision I have in my head.

I'll be at the Big Bang Theory at HQ this weekend as an NPC, hope to see/meet some of you there.

Back