2-Handed Warhammer

Elandril

Greetings! My brother will be joining our LARP this summer and wants to play with a 2 handed warhammer. Any advice on making a legal 2 handed warhammer?

So making one is not the hard part. Make sure there is enough padding to protect people from the core but not too much that the core bends excessively due to the weight on the head. Also, the open cell needs to rebound quickly after being squished.

The hard part is weilding one without hurting/killing someone. Make sure to use a wide grip to make sure the response of the weapon is quick for the lightest touch possible. This makes the weapon have less reach but its the only real safe way to weild it.

For a warhammer I wouldn't go very far over the minimum length - keep in mind you can only use the head of the weapon. Also a hammer head is probably going to end up being pretty heavy, so you might want to consider weighting the handle with something to balance the weight.

^ Indeed. Also, I have seen a warhammer that was two handed but the head of it was more like a frame with the middles cut out so it took off some weight. It was latex and manufactured so I dont know how to make one from scratch but it looked pretty nice.

To avoid sheering on headed weapons, I'll often cut a small indent out of both sides of the head and the core foam, then lay in a piece of camp mat. It provides more stability for the head without compromising safety. You just have to make sure that you still have a sufficient amount of open cell around the inlaid closed cell.

Back