Armor, Flaws and carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwconvery

Spellsword
Couple of random questions related to armor interaction.
Each question is it's own scenario, no need to stack the effects.
Please assume I have a 30pt suit of Arcane Armor for each question

1. I have a ritual flaw of 'immune to gift' for the remainder of the event.
A monster is swinging at me for "10 death". Am I no effect the whole time? or do I 'take' 3 hits to armor, then 'no effect' once it starts hitting body.

2. I have an item of "half damage from fire, double from ice" flaw on it. I get hit with a Flame bolt.
Is that 10 points of damage? or full damage?

3. I have an item of "half damage from fire, double from ice" flaw on it. Monster is swinging 20 Flame at me.
When does the damage start getting halved?

4. I'm in a golem that is healed by Flame. I get hit by a Flame bolt.
Does that heal me? or hit my armor for 20 damage?

5.I'm in a golem that is healed by Flame. I use wand charge to heal myself. "5 Elemental Flame"
Am I breaking my armor first, then getting healed? Or healed straight away.

Thanks in advance for clarifying things.

-Joe

1. Carriers don't take effect until body damage is taken, so yeah, you'll take the first three swings, and then the rest are no effect.

2. 10 damage. Half/Double damage effects change how much something does to you. So you'll take 10 damage all the time.

3. From the beginning. While it's true that this is a Flame carrier, all "Flame" effects are doing double damage to you.

4. Heals you.

5. Heals you right away.

Think of a elemental-triggered flaw effect as being an aura that surrounds you that augments/reduces certain types of damage being done to you. While it -can- be triggered by carriers, it's not directly related to them.

Upvote 0
1. Three hits to armor, then no effect.

2. Half damage the whole time.

3. Half damage the whole time

4. Healed. Doesn't hit armor.

5. Healed. Doesn't hit armor.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! Sounds like you agree.

Can you cite a page number or an ARC ruling on this stuff? So I can reference it in the future?

These weird interactions are tough to nail down with new players,.

Thanks!
-Joe

Upvote 0
Edit:
I downloaded the PDF - start on page 71 of the PDF under "heal from <damage type or effect>: and continue on to pg 72. Keeping in mind, too, that since you are "healed" by an effect, it acts as a healing spell would; for example, if you take a "Cure Serious Wounds", you are healed for 10 Body. If you are healed by Flame, and are hit by a Flamebolt, you would be "healed" for 20 body; in essence, all healing effects are meant to act the same. "Healed by" essentially turns that effect group into the "healing" effect group for that creature/monster/flaw. As noted in the ARB, however, it is never possible to be healed by a Carrier.

As for the armor and carrier question, see page 73 under Threshold in the example:

For example: Fangthorn the troll has a
Threshold of 4, a suit of armor worth 10, and a
Shield spell and a Bless spell active, giving him
20 points of protection before damage will be
given to his body. He is attacked by Terin, who
is calling “three normal.” The first few hits from
Terin will remove Fangthorn’s Shield spell, the
next few will breach Fangthorn’s armor, and
the next will remove his Bless spell. After those
20 points are lost, Fangthorn will begin saying
“no effect” to the rest of Terin’s blows since
they are now affecting only his body.

As for carriers and armor, the first reference I can find is on page 96 under "Deliveries" when talking about natural claw carries from monsters (example: "10 Death" or "5 Destruction"):

These attacks do not work unless the damage
they do is applied to your Body Points. In
other words, the monster must get through all
of your Armor Points and all of your defensive
spells and damage your Body Points with their
claws to be effective.

On page 97, the ARB specifically states which carriers bypass armor, and are therefore not subject to the armor rules:

“Body,” “Earth,” and “Chaos” carrier attacks
bypass all Armor Points (including Shield
spells) and do damage only to the Body Points
of the victim. (Other carrier attacks do not.)
When struck by these specific carrier attacks,
the damage indicated is subtracted directly from
your Body Points with no damage to your armor
or Shield spells.

I believe most of these are covered in one form or another in the Carrier section of the ARB, the Armor section, and the Monster Ability/Threshold sections. I don't have an ARB on me at the moment, but if someone who does, they can start looking in those sections for specific references.

(Also: These are the kinds of questions we get to answer on our SEA/OR marshal test.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back