Brightly colored rouge character. Can it work?

Hello, I'm very new to the world of Alliance and in the creation of my first character I've run into a lot of questions. At this point the most prominent one is this: Can a brightly adorned character still be an effective rouge?
Of course with disarming traps and other such things the color is of no import, but if I want to get the extra damage from sneaking up behind someone and attacking, or if I want to sneak up and waylay someone do you think the colors would be an issue?
I'm going to be playing a bird-kin. This is for multiple reasons, but the main one is because my hair is a very bright shade of teal and I would very much like to not wear a wig at events. I already have to deal with that bother when I go to work every day and would rather not have to wear one when I'm trying to relax and have some fun.
So, thoughts? Can this work or should I consider a different class?

Yes, in the chaos of battle, getting behind someone is a lot easier than it may sound at first. There is a long-term (several years) successful Gypsy Rogue PC, complete with jingly coins on her costume, in the SoMN chapter as proof of this working.

I think it depends on the color of rouge you end up using. Certainly darker colors are going to be better for sneaking around, but bright ones tend to not make all that much of a difference in the heal of batter (as was mentioned), or in the dark.

Your outfit will make no difference.

Using Rouge as a rogue will make you look rather cheeky.

That said, excluding a few potential late night mods, I find it's often easier to sneak/re-position in bright colors, people don't feel like they need to keep track of you, so they don't. Nobody sneaks up on things like my Turtlekin, and he doesn't even sneak!

I can't speak to bright colours, but one of my favourite tactics is to take off all my bells. People are so used to hearing my gypsy coming from miles away when I play her that once I debell, no one expects to see her. Basically David's got it right, from my experience.

There's a well-known gypsy PC at HQ who has coined the term "sningling" after jingling up to an entire line of NPCs and waylaying at least half a dozen in the middle of battle, while of course wearing yards and yards of bright colors, beads, bells, and possibly rainbow hair. It was fantastic.

Don't wear "shiny" fabric.

Don't be loud.

Don't hesitate.

Make them die.

And you'll be fine! :-D

Thank you all very much for the comments and suggestions! I'm working on some possible costume ideas, and hoping to start putting something physical together in the next week or so. This is certainly going to be an interesting character to work on. Now I've really got to buckle down and put some work into my backstory!

I play a rogue character as well. I have on a bright red shirt and red armor, but its all about misdirection. )I also have a change of clothing just in case I need it, and always have a black cloak with you, if not on) but if they don't expect to see you, they wont.

Back