Costume Armor Points

So you can get up to 6 Armor points through good costuming and being in genre. My question is, do you have to have armor proficiency for these points? For example, if you have armor worth 15 armor points and you're a scholar with no armor training, would you have 15 armor points or 21 armor points?

unfortunately, you can't exceed your class limit without buying Wear Extra Armour, no matter how fly your gear. so, in your situation: if you were a Scholar with 15 points of armour BEFORE the six points of "Genre" and "Mastercraft" and didn't have "Wear Extra Armour", you would only have 15 points of armour. "Genre" and "Mastercraft" don't allow you to skip buying "Wear Extra Armour"

The "bonus" points count towards your Armor Value.

Basically, there are three things to consider:
1 - Your class limit (plus any bonuses due to Wear Extra Armor)
2 - The Armor Value of what you are wearing (determined by materials, locations, in-periodness, and overall quality)
3 - The value of the armor Tag you are attempting to utilize.

Your tag can never exceed your Armor Value, nor your Class Limit, whichever is lesser. Your Armor Value can exceed your class limit, you just gain no benefit from doing so (other than potentially looking shnazzy).

looking shnazzy is pretty awesome though.. i certainly encourage it.

Ok, so you answered my question and brought up a new one. So if I have a tag for 20 armor points, I can't wear that armor because I can only wear up to 15 armor? (I can't just wear it and have 15 points and ignore the other 5 points?) Also, you can't use blacksmithing to "upgrade" armor can you? (I can't make a suit of 15 point armor into a suit of 20 point armor?) In my mind, you should be able to do this since armor is made of pieces. (Like if you add a helmet...)

David_Aselrik said:
Ok, so you answered my question and brought up a new one. So if I have a tag for 20 armor points, I can't wear that armor because I can only wear up to 15 armor? (I can't just wear it and have 15 points and ignore the other 5 points?) Also, you can't use blacksmithing to "upgrade" armor can you? (I can't make a suit of 15 point armor into a suit of 20 point armor?) In my mind, you should be able to do this since armor is made of pieces. (Like if you add a helmet...)

David-

If you have an armor limit of 15 and have an armor tag worth 20 pts you would need to "tear down" the 20 pt tag so that it is worth 15. You can't recoup any of the value of the lost 5 pts, and you can't use a tag that is worth more than the total armor value you can wear (class limit + wear extra armor skill).

As far as upgrading armor with blacksmithing, no, not directly. The closest you can come is using the merchant skill to sell back the suit you have and using the money provided by that transaction to fund the creation of the new suit.

tieran said:
David_Aselrik said:

David-

If you have an armor limit of 15 and have an armor tag worth 20 pts you would need to "tear down" the 20 pt tag so that it is worth 15. You can't recoup any of the value of the lost 5 pts, and you can't use a tag that is worth more than the total armor value you can wear (class limit + wear extra armor skill).

As far as upgrading armor with blacksmithing, no, not directly. The closest you can come is using the merchant skill to sell back the suit you have and using the money provided by that transaction to fund the creation of the new suit.

Selling back is good in the short run, in the long run you might want to consider going with the wear extra armor skill and slowly build up that level over time. Remember if you're lucky you'll have your character for a very long time. I myself am sitting on a 20 point suit that I recovered as loot from the field. Now I cant phys rep that but I treat it as if my character IG has a suit of armor on display much like how people have them now. In the future when I get all the pieces of armor I can to make sure its a 20, then presto, no buying armor, no worrying about cost, I got the tags on hand.

tieran said:
David_Aselrik said:
So if I have a tag for 20 armor points, I can't wear that armor because I can only wear up to 15 armor? (I can't just wear it and have 15 points and ignore the other 5 points?)

what he said about the point value except with an addendum to the fact that you can clothe yourself in anything you want, but you'll only gain points for your Class Limit + your levels of Wear Extra Armour. theoretically, a Scholar (without W.E.A.) could walk into game wearing an actual suit of full plate mail, but they'd only be able to gain 15 points of armour from that costume

which is to say, you can wear your neato phys rep at 15 points even if it *could* be rated out for more

Cough "Arcane Armor" cough...

And, if you cant fis-rep up to your max armor, you might like to look in to something called Arcana Armor, that way you get the benefices of having the armor with out say having to lug a round chain mail, afford the RL costs of full plat, and simply have to where in fantasy ren-where clothing as you like. and no Arcana Armor and fis-repted armor points can not be stacked at all...

Please don't point the newbies at Arcane Armor. It's bad enough that people feel what should be a major ritual is an 'Adventuring Necessity' without getting it into the heads of people who haven't learned better as an alternative to armor reps.

Wraith said:
Please don't point the newbies at Arcane Armor. It's bad enough that people feel what should be a major ritual is an 'Adventuring Necessity' without getting it into the heads of people who haven't learned better as an alternative to armor reps.

Unfortunately, until TPTB decide to relax restrictions on materials to make repping real armor more accessible, real armor will continue to be cost prohibitive for most people who would rather wear the reps. Myself included.

Understandable.

On the other hand, AA is a scroll that would be on a high average if one went out a year, I'd I understand treasure policy correctly. One scroll per chapter means that a new player has a snowcone on Mercury's chance of getting it and having it cast, so much better to encourage them towards making better armor reps in the meantime.

Or you can npc a bit a pick one up(or the scrolls to have one cast like in ohio), which entirely possible depending on the chapter you play in.

I would love to have real armor and where it!

But RL has somethings to say about it. a mix of low income, and lack of supples, hell it took a year of scrounging peaces and buying one thing a month, and patch working the job to make 1 metal plated studded leather top for my love to where in game who plays a fighter... that is why i gobbyed an AA for my caster, after all being limited on how much you can where any how makes it hard to put out all the cost of getting or making armor when in the end you know i would ever get the points of wherein descant quality armor in the system anyways till I'm high enough level that one swing does not kill me anymore.

some times i wish the restrictions on what counts are armor where a bit more lax, at other times i understand why they are not.
how ever it would be nice if there was something like a close where new players or really low level ones might have say lower standards to conform to. hell a new players lucky if they even own ren where clothing. i know when i 1st started this game, the only thing i had from my ren fair days that still fit me was a old Halloween custom for a faerie...

this were, thirft stores and good will come into play...I know when me or someone on my team brings in a new player...one of the first places we hit is one of them...good for finding basic stuff at a cheap cost..

T-tunics, tabards, and wrap pants are a decent solution for the newbie with access to a sewing machine. A few yards of buck fabric and an afternoon sewing and you have seriously decent garb for a newbie or general npc. I need to make some for my new pc next month, so of yet another tutorial would be useful, I might be able to write something up.

Ya, in the past year of sowing i have something like 8 full git ups now... and i used a thrift store (good will)to by the leather i used to make the armor i was able to put together. some leather hanging bag ugly as sin, 8$ i think, now its cut up and used as raw leather for armor, i would call that an up grade... it got chopped up and re-purposed...

but yes the armor rules for the game, points for quality realism, game skill requirements, fis-reps and AA, its really a balance of what maces since for your character too have... a farmer turned fighters not going to have a brand new AA or a set of shiny new pull plait, but might have some crappy second hand leathers that belonged to his dad from back in the day or something like such.(new player quality creation). past that its mostly math right?

It's not too difficult to make "stealth armor" and not too costly, either. It's great for a Scholar, too.

Get some heavy cloth or light canvas. What you are going to do it make a tabard of two facing pieces of canvas, and sew some fender washers inside with a grid pattern to hold the washers in place. If you use heavy washers of about 2.5" in diameter, you can get 18 points of armor ... but it's kind of heavy to wear around all day. Instead, use light and thin washers of two to three inches in diameter, and you will have 12 armor points. If you buy washers in wholesale lots, they are downright cheap (a nickel each, more or less.) Add the in period bonus and a scholar is good to go ... or buy a pair of bracers and a leather cap and your at your Scholarly armor cap.

The sewn grid pattern is something like this:

---+---+---+---+---+-
o | o | o | o | o |
---+---+---+---+---+-
o | o | o | o | o |
---+---+---+---+---+-

After making the tabard out of two facing pieces of cloth, I sew along the length of the tabard to make slots at regular intervals just wide enough to slide the washers into the slots, one row at a time:

---+----+---+---+---+-
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

Then, slide a row of washers down each slot:

---+---+---+---+---+-
o | o | o | o | o |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

Then, sew across to hold the row of washer into position:

---+---+---+---+---+-
o | o | o | o | o |
---+---+---+---+---+-
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

Keep doing this, a row at a time, until you finish.

Making the head hole isn't too difficult. I cut out a few washers where my head is to go, leaving plenty of fabric to fold under, and then sew the edges of the hole closed so that you have room to insert your head.

If anyone wants to buy an 18 point stealth suit, just let me know.

Back