Leg Armor people! How?

Elandril

Ok, so I'm making armor for one of my friends who'll be playing an armored fighter. (I'm a rogue) But I cant for the life of me make any leg armor. Which stinks because not only would it provide higher armor, but it would complete the battle tank look. Anyone know how to strap on leg armor? I can MAKE it, but not ATTACH it...

Look up tassets, cuisses, and greaves online and see how professional armorers do their stuff. Greaves (which go over the shins) are strapped or laced in the same way as bracers (forearm armor), only they go on your legs.

Cuisses (thigh armor) usually strap behind the leg in one or two spots and attach to a belt on the top.

Tassets are more like loose hanging plates that protect the outer part of your thighs, though sometimes they're rigidly connected to a breast plate. If they aren't connected to a chest piece of some sort, they can just hang from your belt.

Those all apply mostly for plate or leather armor. If you're doing chainmail, it's harder to do leg armor, but you can make chausses which attach to a belt at the top and cover the legs from top to bottom. Otherwise you can attach chainmail to a leather base and build the armor in the same way I described above.

Cheat method: buy either hockey or baseball shin guards at a 2nd hand shop. Wrap in leather.

Greaves are just bracers for your legs. But while bracers can be laced and loosened to slip on and off, you probably want to take greaves on and off without removing your shoes. Mine buckle on with just two latigo straps and they are comfortable as well as secure.
Why does playing a rogue mean you don't want to have leg armor for yourself? Two point armor shoulder-to toe with in-genre and mastercraft is 26 points, and rogues max at 25.

Biggest advice for stuff that goes on arms/legs is to anchor them to something. for thighs, have a strap go up to the belt. this prevents them from sliding down and binding on your knees. same for bicep/upper arm.. anchor to the shoulder to stop it from sliding down onto your elbow. these anchors can also help prevent the armor from rolling to the sides as well. Wrists and lower legs are a bit easier, since they will tend to go down and out, with hand and foot stopping them.

Biggest advice for stuff that goes on arms/legs is to anchor them to something. for thighs, have a strap go up to the belt. this prevents them from sliding down and binding on your knees. same for bicep/upper arm.. anchor to the shoulder to stop it from sliding down onto your elbow. these anchors can also help prevent the armor from rolling to the sides as well. Wrists and lower legs are a bit easier, since they will tend to go down and out, with hand and foot stopping them.
This is excellent advice.

The more I made things the more I realized that an integral part of their creation, to me, is putting them on then walking around, running, sparring, etc. This will find you all of the fitment pains and other issues that you do NOT want to find while in the middle of a huge fight during an event.

I did realize that Durnic. I made a whole upper body suit for my friend whos playing, but it wastn till he put it on that we started finding things we could change.

Back