Metagaming, Not Metagaming, and Reverse Metagaming

Alex319

Artisan
I know that "metagaming" is an issue that has come up a lot recently in these discussions. I have also noted that (in ARB p. 22) it mentions the idea of "reverse metagaming" - using metagame knowledge to improve the experience for other players. Thus, in an attempt to try to spark more of a discussion about what is metagaming and what is not, I'm interested in what peoples' thoughts are on some of these types of scenarios (Note that most of these scenarios are hypothetical)

1. A character comes into the tavern who I have not seen before. I think that this is an NPC and may have some sort of work available, so I try to steer the conversation along these lines. When I ask him if he wants to buy some healing potions, he takes out a brown envelope of the type used at Logistics and takes 12 copper pieces out of it. At this point I realize he is actually a new PC, and instead just give him a handful of healing potions free of charge to help him on his journey.

2. I am just finished with lunch and am thinking about going back to my cabin when I see over a dozen out-of-game NPCs setting up behind the tavern. I realize that a field battle is about to start and so I decide instead to stay in the tavern so I can participate in the fight. I also go tell my friend a little bit away, who I know likes to participate in field battles, that a battle is about to start.

3. In a "wave" or "popcorn" battle, I have successfully Webbed an enemy. I avoid giving a killing blow even if I could do it easily and safely, for the purpose of delaying the NPC from coming back into game as another monster (and thus reducing the number of monsters we have to fight at once).

4. I am a melee fighter, and am killed by a death knight and have Create Undead cast on me. I am ordered to attack a group of PCs. I am presumably required to fight to the best of my ability, but even the concept of "to the best of my ability" is ambiguous, since while fighting, there is a trade-off between fighting more aggressively (such as by getting closer to the PCs and swinging more, thus doing more damage to the PCs, but opening myself up more) and fighting more defensively (such as by keeping range from the PCs and spending more time blocking, thus doing less damage to the PCs, but taking less damage myself). Conceptually, one can think of this as similar to the "production possibility frontier" in economics, where one axis is "amount of damage done to PCs" and the other axis is "amount of damage blocked." Anything that is on the edge of the frontier is reasonably considered "fighting to the best of my ability". Of course, as a PC, I have a vested interest in being taken down quickly so that someone can give me a Life spell in time. Thus I will have an incentive to fight more aggressively. Is it metagaming to fight more aggressively, then? Does it matter whether I'm fighting more aggressively because I (OOG) want to get killed quicker, or whether I'm fighting more aggressively since I think that's what an undead would do?

5. I get into PVP combat with another PC far from any witnesses, am taken out, fed an Amnesia elixir, and killed. After resurrecting I launch an investigation into the events leading up to the death and who killed me. Of course, OOG I know who killed me, but IG I don't. So when deciding how suspicious to be of each possible suspect, I have to ignore that I actually know the answer. This is extremely difficult to do; this issue has been studied in the context of real-life criminal trials (where the judge may tell the jury to disregard certain evidence if it is deemed inadmissible) and it has been found that it is very difficult for the jury to actually do this. So there is a question of what I am supposed to do here - do I need to "pre-train" myself to get better at disregarding information so I can handle this situation if it occurs in-game? (And if so, does anyone have advice on how to do this?) Also note that even in the absence of Amnesia or similar in-game effects, a similar thing can happen if, e.g., you hear something happening while under the effect of a Sleep spell.

I love threads like this. Here are my thoughts on each case.

1- Technically there is a lot of meta-gaming in this example in my mind. Changing how you act toward someone due to thinking they are an NPC is meta-gameing to start with. However the issue I think you want talked about is the gift of potions instead of asking to pay for them. That is meta-gaming as well, however I think it is OK. First off, it has a clear benefit to the chapter as a whole. Returning customers are a good thing, and an experience like that is likely to encourage someone to return. It is also fairly easy to justify IC. As an experience adventurer, I sense from the new arrival's body language that he is nervous and unsure of himself. So I assume he's new to this risky profession and decide to give him the same kind of help others gave me when I was new.

2- There are two separate cases of meta-gaming here. The first is staying in the tavern, the second is getting a friend. The first I feel would be OK. Out of game, that kind of battle is better with more players present. IC, it can be easily explained by "I've got a bad feeling." Getting the friend is less excusable. Telling the friend a battle is about to start can't really be justified IC. I would play it as I stay in the tavern area, acting mildly worried as I try to pin down my "bad feeling". I would only run (or shout) for my friend when the NPCs started popping.

3- This would somewhat depend on the tactical situation, but if there wasn't a pressing threat I had to deal with, it would be unacceptable. IC, the only enemy I know isn't a threat is a dead one.

4- This is the most complex case here in my mind. I always "fight at my best" (which may not be saying much. :) ) As a Templar, I shift exactly how I fight a lot depending on the target. If I were raised as a monster and told to attack the town, I would fight them as I would fight any other foe that probably outclasses me. (i.e. I would stay back casting as long as I could, while hiding behind the real fighters, then step forward with my blade when that ran out or to fill gaps in the monster line.) Changing my fighting style to try and die faster (and thus get a life) would not be the right thing to do.

5- This is strait forward to me. I would meta-game the blazes out of this, but in a way that is designed to overcome the challenges involved. I'd ask a trusted IC friend to investigate my death for me. The reasoning would be that I am upset over the death, and will be "too quick to judge." In other words, since I know I can't really deal with the matter objectively as a player, I would remove myself from being in a position to abuse my OOG knowledge.

Noland Gregory
IC: Apprentice William of Shadyside

I only really want to talk about 1 and 3 here. For instance 1, that is about as metagamey as you can get. If you are treating NPCs and PC's any different from each other, you are metagaming. Period.

For instance 3, The NPC may simply say "Body Remains" and move on with their next pop. It won't really change a tactical situation much, especially with the numbers we have. Remember, Killing Blow doesn't do anything for you except shorten the death count, and possibly trigger a Vengeance. To this day I always marvel at players that feel they need to Killing Blow everything. Trolls, dramatic circumstances, and things like that are about the only things worth KB-ing. If there are a lot of monsters out there, all you are doing is delaying anything else you do. Webbing a creature and letting it rot there is a viable tactic. Just don't expect the NPC to stick around.

4 is actually very simple: you've been raised as a mindless zombie and told to attack people. Since you have no brain, you can't engage in any tactics and will mindlessly attack them as aggressively as possible.

A few notes.

#1 is metagaming. Full stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200. ARB 1.2 pg 27:

Some players treat non-monster NPCs differently from PCs. […] If a player asks you the out-of-game question “Are you an NPC?” you should lie and say “no.” They shouldn’t be asking that question in the first place.​

This isn't standing aside to help some lower level player go on a low level mod, this is changing your behavior in a marked way depending on whether the person you are talking to is a PC or an NPC.

#2 is metagaming and, if you are telling others, cheating. Full stop. I wouldn't swing too far in the opposite direction, personally, and say "let's go quickly on this mod we were intending to go on so that we definitely certainly absolutely aren't metagaming," but it is metagaming and if you are gathering your party to fight the wind you are cheating.

#3 is also metagaming if that is your intention: It is changing your actions depending on an OOG consideration (plot resources, number of NPCs present). That said, I have instructed others to perform and personally done the "body remains" tactic. Webbing someone and leaving them is a perfectly valid tactic in the field—as is Dominating someone and having them defend you—but webbing someone and leaving them with the intent to deprive us of an NPC is not acceptable.

#4 " I am presumably required to fight to the best of my ability" you aren't. You are a mindless zombie who fights at normal speed but has no agency, half body, only limited skills (basically you can swing your weapon, that's about it). You are required to fight to the best of your ability when Dominated or Charmed, however, in which case it is a violation of the spirit of the rules to try to get yourself killed more quickly.

#5 is a roleplaying challenge, though the truth of the matter is that you don't know IG that it is "PVP." Maybe it involved gnolls or an assassin on the road who was entirely under NPC control (I have had cards that say "may killing blow" and "may perform actions that may lead to resurrection" on them). Regardless, your best bet is to get others to investigate your death for you, especially if you aren't going to be able to keep your IG and OOG knowledge separate.

Scenario #1: I have a different opinion from previous posters. I don't place the emphasis on differentiating between NPC and PC in the quality of the character. I place the emphasis on differentiation between new player and experienced player. I agree that using OOG knowledge that this is a new player is metagaming. I recognize that by the letter of the law, metagaming is cheating.

I also think that helping out new players and enriching their game experience - in a variety of ways - is the right thing to do. I might more heartily endorse the method of "teaching a man how to fish" rather than giving him a fish -- i.e., take a new player under your wing and introduce them to opportunity rather than simply hand them some treasure.

Nevertheless, I think certain types of metagaming are beneficial to the game, and call me a bleeding heart who's "soft on crime" -- I just can't find fault with that behavior.

Trace

Trace - actually, I think that falls into the category of "reverse metagaming" per ARB p. 22! Which is to say, it's a good thing and encouraged. :)

“Reverse Metagame” to help the game. If you “metagame” you are using your out-of- game knowledge for in-game benefit. This is cheating.

At the same time, for the good of the game, sometimes we need you to “reverse metagame” when it will help everyone have more fun.

For instance, if a poor farmer comes into town and says “I need to hire a small group of adventurers to help me get rid of the giant rats infesting my barn,” it’s pretty clear that this is a hook for a module. “I can only afford to pay about six people,” he may say, “and even then, only a few coppers apiece.” Obviously, this then is a module meant for low-level players.

If you are a more powerful player, don’t ruin the fun of the lower level players with your attempts to go on this module. If you are a low- level player, don’t insist on bringing twenty of your friends when obviously this was designed for a small group.

Of course it doesn’t make in-game sense that the farmer would turn down more help. Of course there is no real in-game reason why the entire town couldn’t volunteer to help the guy for free. But will that provide the most fun for the players?

Reverse metagame. Use your OOG knowledge about how the game works to allow all players to have fun and have a shot at the adventures. It’s all a part of being a good sport, and you don’t even have to be playing a good guy to do this.

Back