One-Handed weapons held in two?

Elandril

I had a question regarding one handed weapons. What would happen if I held it in 2 hands for a short duration of battle? Would I be allowed this? I realize the confusion of mistaking it for a 2 handed blade but the question remains...

You can hold a one handed weapon in two hands if you'd like. There is no mechanical benefit to doing so, but it does sometimes make it easier to block blows from actual two-handed weapons. While doing so you need to be extra careful that you aren't swinging too hard, but that is the only thing that really matters. Honestly, there is no meaningful problem with someone mistaking a one-handed weapon for a two-handed weapon mid-fight.

-MS

Go for it, as long as you just make sure that you are swinging for one-handed weapon damage rather than two-handed weapon damage.

For example: If I have 3 Weapon Proficiencies, I swing for 5 Normal with a one-handed sword or 7 Normal with a two-handed sword. Even though I am using the weapon with two-hands, I still only swing for the one-handed weapon damage, 5 Normal.

Well, I'm sure the next logical question would be if you use a 2handed sword one handed, then would you call one handed damage during that brief time... assuming you do it briefly? According to the manual if you lose the use of one of your hands (such as through a wither spell) then you cant use your 2hander. My question is why are the swords that were used as one or two handers not taken into account like the bastard sword. longer than a long sword but shorter than a 2handed sword... not trying to ruffle feathers, just wondering.

IDK, most likely it comes down to damage vs. weapon length.
Having a long sword speed with 2 hand damage can be pretty swaying. I can move a min length long sword pretty fast, toss a long handle and now I get to swing for the same damage as someone with a much larger weapon.

Oh sorry for the confusion, I wasnt saying a long sword should be able to be wielded 2 handed and so get the 2h damage... i was asking about a 2hander being wielde 1 handed and so doing 1h damage.

Two reasons, Matt.

1) Safety. 2-Handed weapons, as constructed in our game, are not safe to use in a single hand. They tend to range from about 5-6 feet long and the level of control necessary for safe use simply doesn't exist with a single hand.

2) Simplicity. A system where damage changed mid-fight due to hand placement is rather complicated and confusing. It is confusing for people you are fighting against and it is much more likely to cause mistakes and holds. This is already notable in the current systems that exist which change damage mid-fight (backstabs and weakness spell, most notably), where targets often get confused by a sudden change in damage or the wielder of the weapon accidentally calls the wrong damage due to instinct. There would have to be significant pay-off in order to make adding another system of that type worth it, and given the safety issue, there clearly isn't.

-MS

I'm not necessarily going to agree with Mike's first point, as I honestly believe an ultralight could be constructed that would be reasonably safe to use with one hand.

I do, however, agree with the second. There's a reason we don't have hand-and-a-half weapons.

Back