Weapons Safety: Failures, and Frequent Problems

Traceroo

Rogue
Denver Weapons Marshals sadly had to fail a number of weapons during Weapons Safety Check, or offer provisional 1-event approvals to allow players to make needed repairs before the July 2015 event. Here are some problems we saw frequently:
  • ALL weapon cores need to have 1" (no more, no less) of closed cell foam extending past each end of the core. We saw several 1-handed weapons which do not have this at the pommel. You need this foam for ALL weapons, even if you don't add a Waylay Tip to your weapon.
  • Shields: See related post on shield maintenance.
  • Liquid glue: If you use hot glue, or any type of liquid glue in the foam of your weapons, press your thumb into the finished area once it's dry. If it's hard and crunchy on a striking surface, especially near the weapon tip, your weapon will not pass safety inspection. (No one wants crunchy glue spot in the face.)
  • Polearms: The bladed part of the polearm must be wider than the weapon shaft. In other words, "polearms have to look like polearms."
    • CORRECT: Here's an image I pulled off the web which illustrates the general idea of what we're going for: http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8178/8021511562_4fff89c377_m.jpg
    • CORRECT: Porch and B build some lovely handmade latex polearms that are the right shape. Will built a polearm for Nissa in the Scions which is the right shape. Look to all of theirs as good examples.
    • NOT CORRECT: Think of how a longsword physrep is just a straight padded stick. If your 2-handed weapon is a straight padded stick that does not have a wider bladed head, it will not pass as a polearm.
Tags: Weapons Marshals are getting more frequent questions from players about how and where to affix weapon item tags. I'm going to talk to Jesse about this topic. I hope that the chapter will have some clarification and update relatively soon.

If you've got any questions about weapons safety, construction, or maintenance, please shout out. We have lots of great craftsmen in this chapter who are always happy to help others out!

Thanks,

Trace Moriarty
Safety & Weapons Marshal
Alliance Denver

Futhermore: The polearms at fighter practice are NOT legal in design in terms of the "Bladed Part" as they have no width to them. They are just easily made cheap replicas for abuse at fighter practice. Adding in a set of "Fins" on that design will make them pass at events however. I know I state this a lot to people interested in polearm, but this is a GREAT reminder for people.

Trace, very interested to know on the weapon tag thing! Please let us know!

Weapon Cards should be attached at the pommel or hilt area. Basically, as far away from the actual striking surface. I have always used clear tape for mine in the past. They used to sell adhesive sleeves that we used to use. I will have to see if Staples or Office Depot still carry these. A friend used to use card covers that were normally used for protecting your Magic the Gathering cards and the like.

Just for clarification with those who choose to use "pretty" weapons - The tag doesn't have to be visible, just on the weapon so that it can be removed if stolen, correct? I.E. you can cover a tag on a black blade with a piece of black tape or rolled up and slid into a leather handle?

You can also just "laminate" the tag using 2 strips of packing tape. Just apply tape to both sides and trim with a little overlap.

It has to be visible in some way. If I am a player, Billy McThieferson, and see a weapon and I don't see a card, I think it's just an NPC weapon and I don't take it. If it's pretty, try to find a way to make it visible on the weapon.

Just bumping the post at the top of this thread as a memory refresher for frequently-seen problems with boffer physreps which Alliance Weapons Marshalls will be watching for.

Now's the time to start scrutinizing your weapons, and getting them in good repair for the April Season Opener!

Trace Moriarty
Weapons and Safety Marshall
Alliance Denver

Back