A Private Communication from the Crown

Ragnarok

Rogue
Alliance Rules
Chicago Staff
Marshal
These words belong only to the Adventurers of Atupal,

The Crown has been approached by several adventurers seeking assistance in actions to be taken against various noble houses of Gavaria. No official action has been taken or ordered at this time, however it is still under consideration. The following conversation is taking place in an unofficial capacity, though it may have an impact on the official decisions of the Crown. Here's what I know...

Baroness Clarissa Bancroft is to be a Strigoi, a monster thought to have been eradicated. Her philanthropic influence in her barony and the Kingdom as a whole has not gone unappreciated, and she commands considerable public support. If the Crown were to take overt action against her, it is feared that there would be considerable unrest in response. While there is overwhelming evidence brought to us by General Daybright and Adventurers to support her status as a Strigoi, her political position remains difficult to attack without inciting potential uprising.

Baron Thomas Miranda and the Miranda Family Trading Company have been accused of a very long list of crimes, but most notably a great deal of Fraud, Racketeering, Slavery, and Possession of Controlled Substances. While the Mirandas do have a troubled history, they are also currently the financial force moving East Passwall forward. The Crown is concerned about the impact this may have on the ongoing competition between Count Tillbane and Count Tanno. To be clear, these are substantive accusations, however an public investigation that fails to produce meaningful evidence will not bode well politically.

Propositions have been made to the crown to take both administrative, and combative action against these individuals. With all that being said I have one question that remains to be asked of all of you; how far do you want me to stick my neck out?

-Sir Euron Gavar, Lord Protector

Lord Protector,

You have mountains of evidence; affidavits from a Lady, Dame, Knight, Reeve, Margrave, a number of squires, cupbearers, and others members of the Court. You have the ear of the Crown, the backing of a Count, and perhaps several Dukes, popular support among the commoners, not to mention near universal support from Atupal.

With that in mind, I am not entirely sure what you are askingI. I am genuinely baffled.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Tomebearer, Vicomte Rosen
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Sir Euron,
I cannot decide for you, I can only say that I will place my neck out the same distance if not more. If you need more evidence on the second matter I believe we will have it with the first target. However delaying after the first action may mean that additional evidence is hidden or destroyed and much of that evidence may be the very people whom we suspect are under bondage.
I think the current evidence justifies the full effort, and I am willing to place my life and position in front of the consequences of being wrong.
If the evidence is wrong then it is the fault of this clerk, if the evidence is insufficient then this clerk shall obtain more for you.
Marcus.

Lord Protector,

I cannot speak to the Passwall side of things, but as for the Strigoi issue, I say this: I do not believe the crown should take combative action against Bancroft at this time. Doing so would only serve to turn the people against us, as she has philanthropically and perhaps magically enthralled (with the book "The Pale Princess") much of the populace.

The disappearance of the Garrett Trading Company means one thing -- her plans are soon to come to fruition. She may out herself as a Strigoi at that point, but I would think her more crafty than that. My only hope is a slim one.

I was killed during one of the final conflicts with the Aquavian Cabal. As I passed through to the other side, I was able to ask the Third Finger of the Grasp how we would succeed in exposing Bancroft to the world as a Strigoi. The finger seemed not entirely certain, but said that if we were to make her bleed in a public forum, that her true nature would be revealed. I doubt that Bancroft would agree show up for such a challenge, but if the time comes where decisive action must be taken, you may call upon myself -- and others of Atupal, I am sure -- to make her bleed before the people.

Until her mask is removed, any attack against her will result in uprising, as you say. So to answer your question, Sir, of how far you should stick your neck out: as far as is necessary to protect the people you and I and others are sworn to protect. My own neck will be there on the block beside yours, I assure you.

Aiden Olrikson, Reeve of Winter's Rest

Lord Protector,

You have mountains of evidence; affidavits from a Lady, Dame, Knight, Reeve, Margrave, a number of squires, cupbearers, and others members of the Court. You have the ear of the Crown, the backing of a Count, and perhaps several Dukes, popular support among the commoners, not to mention near universal support from Atupal.

With that in mind, I am not entirely sure what you are askingI. I am genuinely baffled.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Tomebearer, Vicomte Rosen
Keeper of the Tainted Grove
Perhaps I favored a theatrical statement over a clear one, my apologies. It is not a matter of IF the Crown takes action, but when, where, and how. I value the council of the Atupali and as the forerunners addressing these issues, I desire more council on how to best approach these matters.

Sir Euron,
I cannot decide for you, I can only say that I will place my neck out the same distance if not more. If you need more evidence on the second matter I believe we will have it with the first target. However delaying after the first action may mean that additional evidence is hidden or destroyed and much of that evidence may be the very people whom we suspect are under bondage.
I think the current evidence justifies the full effort, and I am willing to place my life and position in front of the consequences of being wrong.
If the evidence is wrong then it is the fault of this clerk, if the evidence is insufficient then this clerk shall obtain more for you.
Marcus.
The Crown is considering authorizing a search and seizure of evidence to be conducted against Miranda Family Trading. Such an action must be taken decisively, and without warning to the Mirandas. The movement of royal troops is rarely subtle.

Lord Protector,

I cannot speak to the Passwall side of things, but as for the Strigoi issue, I say this: I do not believe the crown should take combative action against Bancroft at this time. Doing so would only serve to turn the people against us, as she has philanthropically and perhaps magically enthralled (with the book "The Pale Princess") much of the populace.

The disappearance of the Garrett Trading Company means one thing -- her plans are soon to come to fruition. She may out herself as a Strigoi at that point, but I would think her more crafty than that. My only hope is a slim one.

I was killed during one of the final conflicts with the Aquavian Cabal. As I passed through to the other side, I was able to ask the Third Finger of the Grasp how we would succeed in exposing Bancroft to the world as a Strigoi. The finger seemed not entirely certain, but said that if we were to make her bleed in a public forum, that her true nature would be revealed. I doubt that Bancroft would agree show up for such a challenge, but if the time comes where decisive action must be taken, you may call upon myself -- and others of Atupal, I am sure -- to make her bleed before the people.

Until her mask is removed, any attack against her will result in uprising, as you say. So to answer your question, Sir, of how far you should stick your neck out: as far as is necessary to protect the people you and I and others are sworn to protect. My own neck will be there on the block beside yours, I assure you.

Aiden Olrikson, Reeve of Winter's Rest
It seems that the best course of action would be to address the public perception of Baroness Bancroft, especially if the Crown were to be involved.

Lord Protector,

In terms of Bancroft, I cannot give counsel for I know nothing of that situation. It would be folly of me to advise what little I know beyond a warning of retaliation upon us due the actions of others. I defer to others for this decision.

In regards to the Mirandas however, I say burn it down. The sooner action is taken is one day less their crimes continue. If they are willing to sell volatile Cabrine to the Langoso, CANNIBAL PIRATES, who else are they willing to sell to? Due to both ignorance and the Miranda's machinations, the royal neck has been buried in the sand, unaware. It's time to rise into the light. My neck has felt the weight of a royal execution once before for my actions, I'd be full glad to bear it again for this cause. Though a great blow will be dealt to the duchy with this sudden removal, Justice will prevail and Passwall will endure. Rock and Stone!

May your hearthfire burn eternal, and your tankards endless!

~Hearthguard Draco O'Dell, Squire of Passwall

The Crown is considering authorizing a search and seizure of evidence to be conducted against Miranda Family Trading. Such an action must be taken decisively, and without warning to the Mirandas. The movement of royal troops is rarely subtle.

I've seen the Adventuring community split into multiple forces before, I think up to 4 might be doable, and we can move very rapidly when called opon to do so.
However the nature of the raid means we will need to capture and process large numbers of people at each location including the guards themselves who may well be innocent actors, or under enslavement of their own, I trust my fellow adventurers to be many things, but effective jailers and interogators is not one of them. In addition evidence gathered in the first wave may well lead to secondary and tertiary targets, I am providing what information I can via my reaserch into the public record of miranda property but that will only be what is available as public knowledge. There will no doubt be more.

In regards to the Mirandas however, I say burn it down. The sooner action is taken is one day less their crimes continue. If they are willing to sell volatile Cabrine to the Langoso, CANNIBAL PIRATES, who else are they willing to sell to? Due to both ignorance and the Miranda's machinations, the royal neck has been buried in the sand, unaware. It's time to rise into the light. My neck has felt the weight of a royal execution once before for my actions, I'd be full glad to bear it again for this cause. Though a great blow will be dealt to the duchy with this sudden removal, Justice will prevail and Passwall will endure. Rock and Stone!

May your hearthfire burn eternal, and your tankards endless!

~Hearthguard Draco O'Dell, Squire of Passwall
Well said Squire. I commend your stance and courage to face whatever consequences come from doing the right thing.
I've seen the Adventuring community split into multiple forces before, I think up to 4 might be doable, and we can move very rapidly when called opon to do so.
However the nature of the raid means we will need to capture and process large numbers of people at each location including the guards themselves who may well be innocent actors, or under enslavement of their own, I trust my fellow adventurers to be many things, but effective jailers and interogators is not one of them. In addition evidence gathered in the first wave may well lead to secondary and tertiary targets, I am providing what information I can via my reaserch into the public record of miranda property but that will only be what is available as public knowledge. There will no doubt be more.
I anticipate this to be the answer. There are official matters to be addressed but I won't bore you with them. The details are to be arranged, but anticipate Adventurers to be called upon to assist in this matter.

Lord Protector,

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I respect the everloving **** out of you. This is some heavy **** we're talking about, and I want you to know it comes from an open and sincere place with no malice or hard feelings.

While I leave the decision of when to act upon the issue of Clarissa Bancroft and the Strigoi Problem to the Wardens (whose careful monitoring of the situation has been to their credit thus far), I believe there are no good answers regarding East Passwall.

I'll be frank. This does not bode well for the Ducal race for Passwall for Tillbane’s side, but this is part of the potential consequences he took on with the position of Count, and one he took on making someone from a known crime family one of his Barons. Baron Miranda, a second cousin of the former Miranda head, took an opportunity for power and seized it, betraying his own flesh and blood.

Tillbane is a Machiavellian if fairly reasonable man. I hold some degree of respect for his choices, but worry for his court considering the presence of Court Healer Miranda and Baron Miranda. I understand making temporary deals and alliances with unsavory people for the greater good of the whole. I have bargained with spies and agents who have committed great attrocities and higher beings of power for knowledge I would have never found otherwise so the greater whole can sleep soundly at night, but only for as long as I had to. But it was always with a great deal of caution, deliberation, and backup. Tillbane, however- I worry that his mental and spiritual presence could have been tampered with. Desperate men have done worse for the sake of peace andreceivedd horrendous burdens in return.

Additionally, I'd like to remind you that there's technically a third candidate if the message from the Count of Oathgate is to be believed.

Regardless of the level of complicity on Tillbane’s part, an economy built on the back of deceit and slavery is not part of a world I will tolerate. The Miranda wealth can be redistributed appropriately to those they've wronged to keep the economy going. In my opinion, those forcefully kept under their thumb have earned it, with interest.

Part of ruling is making hard choices. Passwall is at war and will likely continue to be for some time. If anything, I think this is an opportunity to show that the crown can intervene with a righteous, just, and strong hand.

I am aware that public investigation that fails to produce meaningful evidence will not bode well politically, but in this case I truly believe that we cannot give the Mirandas any sort of warning. We have testimony and reason to believe that outright slavery is taking place. They haven't cottoned on yet as far as we can tell, but the longer we let this fester, the more time they have to catch on. We do not know how far the rot is entrenched in their forces (military and government, civilian official or soldier).

We have about another two weeks before the results of our investigating between markets bears fruit, but I have a gut feeling that we will find more evidence or leads in the time leading up to it. All of them will be followed up upon.

We fully intend to stay on a swivel in terms of reaction - because much like the crown has seen with the Golden Clank Conglomerate, if an organization is only partially taken down, it will continue to perpetuate in splinter groups, silence, and shadow behind closed doors. Much like the Hydra of Myth, We intend to cut off its metaphorical heads, and cauterize the stumps before nore can grow in their place and cause more trouble.

When I delivered Marcus's request for Search and Seizure to you and Pavia, it was a politely worded courtesy call, and a heads up that you will need to mobilize eventually, politics be damned. This raid will happen at some point, whether it be in this month or the next. I cannot in good conscience leave any sentient citizen of the Crown in bondage for much longer.

Should this go foward properly together, it will give the crown legitimacy as being dedicated to the freedom and interests of the people once the time comes to openly excise Bancroft.

Governance is a direct contract between those that govern and those who are governed. The Law of Gavaria dictates that no recognized Sapients should be forced to live in Slavery. We are not accountable for the sins of those who came before us, but how we react to the mess they have created.

We will topple these issues together, swiftly, and with the advantage of suprise as Marcus has said.

Dutifully,
AURYN FAIRHORN
MARGRAVE OF CONCORD UPON WAYSIDE

Last edited:
Lord Protector,

I have been closely involved with the investigation into the return of the Strigoi and the deception of Baroness Bancroft. The biggest issue is that she is well-loved by the people. Everyone she has helped with food and supplies, how instrumental she has been in the recovery of Gavaria after the fall of the Aquavian Cabal. I'm fearful of the lengths she will go to in an effort to protect her family, for the Strigoi that are lying in wait beneath the surface are all her children. And if there is one thing I have learned about Clarissa Bancroft, it's that she values family above all else. For my part, I almost pity her. She watched her species die, and had to learn to survive on her own. And that she has chosen this path over the course of 300 years is truly tragic.

I agree with Margrave Fairhorn on the subject of the Mirandas. As for the Baroness, I believe that you are right in exercising caution. The Crown needs the full support of the citizenry in order to truly defeat her. But it will take time, and you are right to exercise caution. I am glad that my companions were able to capture a live strigoi. It is gratifying to know that the things myself and the other Wardens had suspected are, in fact, true. But a live strigoi does not prove that Baroness Bancroft is one of them. Reeve Olrikson has already mentioned what the Grasp told him before her resurrected, that by making her bleed we can expose her for what she truly is. Further investigation is needed, and definitive and public proof that she is not what she seems is vital and necessary and will not be found easily.

I have been keeping a careful record of the investigation of the Strigoi and Baroness Bancroft, and I have learned that it is best to keep it on hand as I have already added in several appendices of updates, and continue to add on as I learn new things. I look forward to working with you further on this, and I make myself completely available to provide any insight and assistance that may be needed as we figure out how to combat the Strigoi threat.

Humbly,
Lady Kore of Puxil Cove

Back