[0.9] General Discussion

Polare

Count
Good evening Playtesters!

Although it's been a long wait, we hope you'll appreciate the changes introduced in the newest Playtest Packet. General discussion can be added here; if you want to discuss a specific topic please feel free to spin off another thread.

Thanks,
Bryan Gregory
ARC Chair

Shatter: Note that if this effect is delivered via the Weapon qualifier, no target may be called and only the target which is struck will be affected. Shatter will now work on any suit of armor, even if it is over 20 points. If it is delivered via the Weapon qualifier and strikes any part of a suit of armor, the suit of armor is considered the target. Shatter now affects any single item up to a Door-sized item (instead of Shield-sized). If it is an invalid target for a Shatter (such as an object greater than door-sized) the object will remain unaffected. If Shatter is used on an indestructible suit of armor, the armor will still be reduced to 0 points (and thus require a refit before its Armor Points are restored) but the tag will not be destroyed. This damage also occurs on magical armor sources such as Arcane Armor.

Given that weapon-delivered Shatter is now targeted based on what is struck by the weapon, how are Arcane Armor suits supposed to be effected? By striking the physrep for the item generating the AA? How does that interact with AA provided by Celestial Armor?

I'm not sure I really like the Ritual Use limits as well. They make magic items much more useful to high-level characters than low level characters, which in turn means high level characters have incentive to hoard them and thus further feeds into MIs' role as primarily high level force multipliers. They also blunt the goal of having characters seek items that enhance their class abilities rather than cover for their lack, as the scholarly classes have inherently higher levels of ritual use charges, and simply need to know how to parry or critical attack to apply them to spell parry or defensive burst rather than having to actually have multiple instances of that skill for those items to be valuable.

This is going to be a hard one to playtest, as it isn't going to be apparent how it will effect the game until it has been in place for a couple years worth of treasure policy.

In the new builder, Reposte is being recorded at 2 points per skill level for Fighters

The fighter skill costs don't match between the builder and the listed cost in the rules changes document. I didn't check all the skill costs for all the skills and classes, but there are a lot of discrepancies between the document and the character builder. Which costs are supposed to be correct? I'm inclined to believe the document looks more appropriate.

The fighter skill costs don't match between the builder and the listed cost in the rules changes document. I didn't check all the skill costs for all the skills and classes, but there are a lot of discrepancies between the document and the character builder. Which costs are supposed to be correct? I'm inclined to believe the document looks more appropriate.

The document is correct, the character builder is a pain in the rear to keep update as I am not an Excel guru :) Unfortunately, the last time I asked for volunteers on this forum to help fix a problem with it I got 0 volunteers.

Please post here with anywhere that you find the costs not matching up and I'll get them fixed. Note that I updated the spreadsheet a couple of times last night to fix problems; make sure you're working with the most current one as noted in the main post.

Thanks,
Bryan

In the new builder, Reposte is being recorded at 2 points per skill level for Fighters

That is correct, and noted in the document. Its cost went down significantly (and its prereq down to 25 Build in Fighting Skills per purchase).

That is correct, and noted in the document. Its cost went down significantly (and its prereq down to 25 Build in Fighting Skills per purchase).
I saw that resolute was reduced, not reposte

Given that weapon-delivered Shatter is now targeted based on what is struck by the weapon, how are Arcane Armor suits supposed to be effected? By striking the physrep for the item generating the AA? How does that interact with AA provided by Celestial Armor?

As noted in the Shatter skill description, any strikes to the body will count as going against a character's armor. Get hit on the arm? Your armor's gone. Get hit in the leg? Your armor's gone. Get hit in some other viable Shatter target? That target is gone.

This has not changed since the last round of playtesting, it's just been clarified to breach any source of Armor down to 0. Feedback in the prior round did not report confusion or concern over this issue.

The Merchant's Insight ritual states it allows you to identify "Potions, Alchemy, and Trap Globes", with no mention of Scrolls; is this intentional, or just a minor error?

I'm guessing this is a typo, but both paragon paths and the Ritual Use skill mention things like "50xp spent in"...should that be BP, not XP?

I suspect that references a future change to how build is gained to make it a lot more simpler then it currently is.

BP for "Build points" will be going away and will be replaced with "XP". No more being confused between BP (Body Points) and BP (Build Points).

Because I wanted to point it out to the general public and I didn't feel it deserved its own thread I'm going to leave this here.

If my math is correct, it would appear that a fighter focusing on acquiring extra body is getting more out of hardy than he used to. Theoretically a 255 build fighter buying a hardy at every level (stupid I know but role with it) may acquire as much as 180 body. While that is on the ridiculous side it is possible.

Just throwing that out there.

Can we talk about Spellsword a bit? I get why they want to move away from templar but man that term is just not great imo. Also when added to Paragon you can be a Spellsword Spellblade!

I see that ARC and the Owners haven't even passed on testing for possible expansion of Wand/Similar abilities to this version.

Despite the fact that each playtest version has had a presence of this question being asked in response, and (from my knowledge) approximately 25-33% of active chapters have some form of a wand that is usable through various means due to the caveat in the current High Magic rules, why does this continue to be omitted from even testing?

Likewise, is there a specific reason why Earth/Chaos Storm (and their limited application of effected targets) continues to have lower damage than the more universal Celestial counterparts -- now expanded to 5 carriers?

I see that ARC and the Owners haven't even passed on testing for possible expansion of Wand/Similar abilities to this version.

Despite the fact that each playtest version has had a presence of this question being asked in response, and (from my knowledge) approximately 25-33% of active chapters have some form of a wand that is usable through various means due to the caveat in the current High Magic rules, why does this continue to be omitted from even testing?
A solution to this has been proposed. Talk to your local chapter owner and urge them to either vote for it or propose their own solution. It did not get enough ownership participation to be included in the 0.9 packet.

Back