2.0 Carrier Defenses vs Armor

Ken

Artisan
In 1.3, there were rulings to the effect that the carrier effect doesn't "count" until it gets through your armor in terms of immunity, meaning that a carrier that you're immune to can still damage your armor (such as here).

Since defenses were reworked to work more uniformly in 2.0, does that still hold? I don't believe so, but want to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Beta rulebook doesn't appear to directly cover this, but here's what evidence I can gather:

From the Alchemy section:

As with any Physical delivery attack that uses a special carrier, the specific Poison effect will only affect the
target if it does body damage to the target. Any valid defenses against any part of the swing will negate the entire
attack—for example, a Resist Poison, a Parry, or a Poison Shield would all stop a coated weapon swing from
affecting the target.

From the Defenses section:

No Effect: The attack was completely ineffective. In general, if you’re immune to part of an effect, you’re
immune to all of it. For example, if you’re Immune to the Spell qualifier, you call No Effect to anything that uses that
qualifier, even if you’d normally take the Effect that’s called.

Both of the examples use immunity/defense against qualifiers and don't specifically discuss effect/group defenses, but both suggest that any valid defense against any part of the call negates the entire attack.

Some potentially clarifying scenarios. Suppose I have sufficient armor to take all of these entirely, so the carrier won't actually affect me regardless. In any of these scenarios, is my armor damaged?
  1. "10 Flame". I have "Immune to Flame"
  2. "10 Sleep". I have "Immune to Command".
  3. "10 Poison Doom". I have (and use) Resist Poison.
  4. "10 Poison Doom". I have (and use) Resist Curse.
  5. "10 Normal". I have "Immune to Normal Weapons".
There's something to say verisimilitudally for defenses that are innate to your body like Immune and possibly Resist not applying to your armor, but I don't think the rules for defenses, as written, support that.

EDIT: And while we're here, suppose the same examples above, except that I don't have enough armor to block them entirely. If I cloak/resist/whatever the defense, is my armor still damaged? Defenses normally negate the entire attack, so if the answer is "your armor takes its part of the damage, then you resist the rest", that's a little inconsistent and should definitely be noted somewhere.

Last edited:
Back