2016 National Event - New Player Inquiries

Would someone very new to the LARP be a hindrance as an NPC for a large event like this?

Hey Matthew! I'm the New Player Representative for Alliance Seattle, which is the location that is hosting the National Event.

Being new doesn't mean you'll be a hindrance. What it does mean is that you'll be probably given

1) Instructions as to how to play the cards you're given
2) Simpler cards that are easier for you to get used to.

As a new player, you should definitely be willing to ask any questions that will help you, as we definitely want to make sure that you're having fun and not feeling too overwhelmed.

I do recommend perusing the rulebook (you can download it for free at http://alliancelarp.com/rule-book/ ), and if you have any questions that I might be able to answer for you regarding our system, I'll be happy to support you! You can reach out to me at newplayer@alliance-seattle.com!

Would someone very new to the LARP be a hindrance as an NPC for a large event like this?

Exactly what Evan said! If you want some practice, we are having another weekend event at that same site the first weekend of April - Evan can help you get all set up to come to that if you would like!

Emily

Thanks guys. Draven (awesome name BTW) I actually have the rule book already. I got it about a week ago and have been reading thru it. The magic will probably be what I have the hardest time memorizing. People like you guys are what convinced me to try again. Letting a noob participate in a major event says a lot about character. I do have some skills form my old larp but it was full contact and no magic so those will be my weak areas I think. I will reply to the email you sent if I have any questions. Thank you.

Emily, I wish I could but I doubt I would be able to head that far north that easily. A major event I could pull off but multiple weekends I sadly doubt I could. I live close to San Fransisco so I am going to start there on the next Mealstrom event they have in March. Thank you for the offer and if businesses ever takes me to that area I will bear it in mind :)

Emily, I wish I could but I doubt I would be able to head that far north that easily. A major event I could pull off but multiple weekends I sadly doubt I could. I live close to San Fransisco so I am going to start there on the next Mealstrom event they have in March. Thank you for the offer and if businesses ever takes me to that area I will bear it in mind :)

Aha! I am flying down for the March Maelstrom game. I look forward to meeting you there!

Aha! I am flying down for the March Maelstrom game. I look forward to meeting you there!

Fantastic, The more the merrier :) I look forward to it as well, I will probably bug you a lot to because my PC for my old LARP was a fighter and I will probably go that route again. Although my weapon would be more or less useless in this style of LARP so I will have to figure that out lol.

Thanks guys. Draven (awesome name BTW) I actually have the rule book already. I got it about a week ago and have been reading thru it. The magic will probably be what I have the hardest time memorizing. People like you guys are what convinced me to try again. Letting a noob participate in a major event says a lot about character. I do have some skills form my old larp but it was full contact and no magic so those will be my weak areas I think. I will reply to the email you sent if I have any questions. Thank you.

Comments like this make my day. :)

Protip about spell incantations: While you're walking around, carry a list of your incants, and just repeat them to yourself over and over. Quiz yourself using the spells you have memorized, and you'll get them down fast.

When I'm teaching people Earth magic, this exercise is something I do with them regularly, because incants can get mixed up super easily.

Comments like this make my day. :)

Protip about spell incantations: While you're walking around, carry a list of your incants, and just repeat them to yourself over and over. Quiz yourself using the spells you have memorized, and you'll get them down fast.

When I'm teaching people Earth magic, this exercise is something I do with them regularly, because incants can get mixed up super easily.

That is a very good idea, Thank you.

Hey folks, your support in welcoming a new player and helping him learn the Alliance system is really great! It's people like you that make new players feel excited to join our game, and you're doing an excellent job of it! :)

...But we should probably keep the National Event 2016 FAQ post reasonably on topic. Perhaps we could move the new player information to another thread?

Hello Matthew! I'm Spencer, a longtime player and occasional staff member (though not currently) of the San Francisco chapter.

The NPC camp and staff here are super welcoming to newcomers, and picking up the rules is surprisingly easy once you're actually there and playing with them. We do have a local SF player representative (John, 'jtsquish' here on the boards) who can be messaged with questions- he's a good guy.

Everyone was new once. Some of us even have embarrassing stories to go with it. Regardless, you'll still be invaluable to the NPC camp.

See you in March!

Hello Matthew! I'm Spencer, a longtime player and occasional staff member (though not currently) of the San Francisco chapter.

The NPC camp and staff here are super welcoming to newcomers, and picking up the rules is surprisingly easy once you're actually there and playing with them. We do have a local SF player representative (John, 'jtsquish' here on the boards) who can be messaged with questions- he's a good guy.

Everyone was new once. Some of us even have embarrassing stories to go with it. Regardless, you'll still be invaluable to the NPC camp.

See you in March!
Awesome, cant wait to meet you guys. I have already been bombarding the SF staff with questions lol. They have been insanely helpful and very patient :)

Back