A Call to Action for those who have taken up the Vanguard

Lurin

Duke
Citizens and Travelers that call my new lands home,

I know my barony is new, and untested as of yet, forged as it is from the necessity of war, but I have had many discussions with those that live in my new lands, and it is those conversations that have led me to this request today. There are many challenges that threaten our borders, not only of the new barony, but of Gaden as a whole. The last two years have seen many changes to our lands , travellers have emerged through the mist and struck boldly at the lines of the corrupt, Kalmok's Anvil, and the valley that lies behind it, have not been so free of our enemy. Some within the town recently renamed as Hopes Reach believe this is a sign that the corrupt can, and perhaps already have, been pushed back, defeated. While such hope is refreshing, it could only come from those who have not been in our lands all their lives. While minor gains have been seen on the front lines, this is not the first time such gains have been made, and history has shown that we cannot expect them to last, already new corrupt we've not seen before have appeared along the lines with an array of twisted powers that stress our ability to hold them back. In the past two years we've continued to lose the lives of brave men and women all along the border, their is no longer a single spirit in Gaden that has not seen the war first hand, even the scholars and support service positions come dangerously close to borders.

As many of you may remember we had a diplomat from the kingdom of Pratorak present at the end of the year feast and he has since come to me with a matter of urgency that the crown would like to see resolved, but is not yet willing to commit the troops to conclude it. As many of you have likely heard, Pratorak is a national of high orcs and stone elves, the elves of the monolithic council, and their locally appointed deputies, command and lead the high orc military against the forces of the corrupt. Since Gaden lost contact with Pratorak, a pair of rogue commanders on one of their border forts have decided that the only logical way for Pratorak to endure in what they see as a losing war, is to turn toward necromancy. This is something that should not be allowed to stand, and would have long since have been resolved if not for the constant pressure of the war with the corrupt.

Now the Pratorak military would be capable of resolving this issue, except that in order to control the High Orc warriors under their command, each is made to swear a blood oath to attack no other High Orc, regardless of clan, except in self defense. These stone elves and their underlings have shown great restraint and continue to hold their place in the line and focus solely on the corrupt. The Gaden Military has far too many going concerns at the moment to send a force to reclaim the keep, so it has been decided to ask the adventurers of Hope's Reach to undertake the challenge. It is my hope that they understand the danger this poses to our brothers in Pratorak, and to our own effort should they fall. In addition however, we will be granting looting rights to items found in the castle as payment, and the ambassador has told me that one of the items known to be in the castle's vault is a ritual scroll capable of sending a group of people to a point in time they might be able to recover the last breath of a true hero, a catalyst I am told that is desired by the adventurers in no small way.

While the military is not currently available to participate in this venture, there are other resources that can be called upon and we foresee aiding in the organization and out fitting of this expedition. First I myself will be support a group of traveling adventurers, I have asked Lady Zanabanath to organize those coming through the mists that are willing for this purpose. Second I expect the local Guardians to be willing to support this organization, and request that they put forward their contant as soon as they determine who it shall be to lead this venture. I have also asked the Earth and Celestial guilds of Gaden to provide support and expect their representatives to be aware of any tasks that will expected of them. Finally I have requested that Lady Grey's militia force, the Grey Blades provide support and resources to any other travelers that do not fit in one of the above groups and expect that she will make her choice of leadership clear in the near future. Each of these five groups will provide a number of basic materials and services to those that attend this assault under their banner, please consider carefullly who you decided to follow for this venture. The assualt on the keep must be completed before the second week of April, thus all groups will need to be within assault range of the Keep by the first day of next month.

To that end that will be sponsoring those willing to travel to Pratorak via circle disjunction and retake the keep. For those willing to take up the mantle of this cause, please put yourself in touch with one of the mentioned groups, in addition to ensuring you have safe access to the rally point for the attack, each group will provide a number of resources, and information to help ensure the success of this assault.

With Regards,
Baron Idden.

Re: A Call to Action for those who have taken up the Vanguar

Baron Idden, if I might ask a question. I find myself wondering what, if any, diplomatic actions have been taken or possibly could be taken? I realize this is most likely futile but it doesn't feel proper to turn on a former ally without at least having tried something else. I ask only for my own peace of mind and possibly of others who may think the same thing.

-York
Captain of the Order of the Black Wolves,
Deputy Sheriff

Re: A Call to Action for those who have taken up the Vanguar

Goodman York,

If you had listened more carefully you would have seen we are responding to a request from an ally, not assaulting one. Beyond that such matters are handled by the King and his advisors personally and not open for public discussion. The Monolithic council is not under our authority any more then the rulers of Roskaria are and it is not my intention to attempt to question their efforts in maintaining their own lines against a shared foe.

-Seneschal Damon Tierke

Back