A chain mace

Dom

Scout
I've seen other LARPS using them. Just wondering why Alliance doesn't.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's probably the wrapping around a weapon/limb issue, a safety thing. I have played in LARPs that allowed them, and the "chain" would frequently tightly wrap around whatever it hit, and made it easy to physically disarm someone (which that system allowed). The chain was made of fabric, open cell foam, and duct tape to create the look of a chain.

Alliance does not allow weapon trapping or intentional physical disarming, which is the point of the chain mace.

Edit: added more explanation.

Alliance decided that it is too unsafe due to wrapping and trapping issues. Of course, a weapon with two free moving latex links that are each 3" in length and the head of the weapon also being no more than 3" in diameter is actually quite safe and trapping is a non-issue. And adding a tear away point on the handle of the weapon even increased that safety.

But Alliance just (in the last year or so) got latex weapons approved so I'm happy as it is. No need for flails because, even if you had them and have them with the above safety design, they don't act or look as cool as the actual things. ;)

My edit:

I always felt that the chain attachment was more used to get around shields and increase the force of the blow by increasing the swinging arc of the weapon head but disarming was also a valid use. The only issue with using your weapon to disarm someone in such a way is that you also risk the chance of having your own weapon torn from your grip.

I think they also don't work as well in a game of light taps and minimal back-swings and follow-throughs. I'm sure the issue of having less control over a free-swinging rope/chain vs a continuous core also weighed into the decision.

Dom said:
I've seen other LARPS using them. Just wondering why Alliance doesn't.

Flails tend to transmit energy wildly (and love to wrap around shields and whomp heads).

There's a reason you don't use them at games like this. They tangle weapons, they're designed for headshotting, and have control issues bouncing around that you really, really don't wanna have.

And yeah, they'll tangle people too. Also not good.

Ok. Good enough for me

Back