A Challenge has been offered

Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
Friends and allies,

A few weeks ago, I have been issued a challenge of sorts. It has been most demanding of my full attention and it has consumed my thoughts over these many nights. In short, I need your help at Castle Bloodworth. Following is the missive that was sent to me.

------------------

A Challenge to the Dragon Tarnikesis

Calling Itself Sir Jared, Lord Bloodworth

Lord Bloodworth,

I address you today as the sole inheritor of the Bloodworth Family, and as Lord of that respected house.

I am Lord Michael Coldstone, Ambassador between the Coldstone Family and the Bloodworths, who have been allied for four hundred years. Powerful was the sorrow of my family upon the death of your predecessor and that tenacious line of heroes. Proud were the Coldstones to see a noble young Knight of the Realm take upon himself the Name of Bloodworth to maintain the tradition of a forceful legacy.

Sir Jared Bloodworth, your masquerade has been revealed as none other than the legendary gold dragon called Tarnikesis. Your adoption into the Bloodworth line has been made under false pretenses as you are not even mortal, nor human as the trueborn ancestors of that name. Your disguise as both mortal and human is an insult to the traditions of this shining kingdom. I call you unchivalrous and false, Sir Knight, as your deceit is an attempt to make fools of the memory of Bloodworth heroes, its allies in the Coldstone Family, and all the true lineage of Acarthia. I call you unworthy of the name, unworthy of the legacy, unworthy of your inheritance as Lord Bloodworth.

I call upon the promise of Dame Bloodworthy, Lady Celinda Gresham, of the first article of the Treaty of Gresham in challenge to you, Imposter. Coldstone, allies and protectors of ancient House Gresham that proved its worth with their blood, challenges that you are Unworthy. Noble House Bloodworth has failed in its pledge to hold fast to the vow of its forebears.

In honor, I give you time to prepare to meet this challenge, Lord Dragon. You will answer for your mockery on the 4th day of February in the 417th year of King Sebastian Coldstone’s realm.

In the name of Coldstone and Acarthia,

Lord Michael Coldstone

As you can imagine, this has left me quite flummoxed as it bears some semblance of truth. While most of you know the many reasons why I have done what I have done over the years, this still leaves me with feelings of doubt and guilt at my ruse. I keep telling myself I did this for the greater good. In this incarnation of Sir Jared, I honestly believe in my heart that I have done this family justice and honor in my tenure here. Yet, with the language used before me, it has shaken me to the core of the tenets. I could not bare to stay in this land if indeed I were proven to have broken the very code which I have helped inspire. I would ask of you all, commoner and noble alike, to be my voice of reason in my darkest hours. Despite the wisdom of my years, I seek your guidance and counsel on this matter.

I call you all to Castle Bloodworth where we will have discourse and partake in fine foods that have been specially prepared out of this estate. Again, all of the food is not native to this estate, so none of you need fear the supposed curse upon these lands from the Battle of Gresham.

I know this winter has been harsh for some of you, but I would greatly appreciate all and any assistance on this most dire matter.

In truth and honor,
Sir Jared Bloodworth/Tar'Nakesis

Back