A Few Questions

K.iriel

Hello, I'm new to both LARP and Alliance, and I have a few questions. I will be buying the rulebook, but as of right now am unable to do so, so please forgive me if this is covered in the book.
For a bit of background, I am currently planning a human PC character for use in the Catskill chapter. I will not be there this year because of travel and I would like to be as prepared as possible before I start.

First off, how do people normally chose names? Are there specific styles of names for different races or backgrounds, or is it a purely personal choice?

Secondly, does the clothing have to be European? I have amassed quite a lot of traditional Oriental clothing that would be nice-and convenient-to use, even if it's only as an undergarment.

Third, what are the restrictions on the use of other languages in the game? I am fluent in both Spanish and Mandarin Chinese and am planning to add several other languages. Could I, for example, write things down in Chinese characters so that (presumably) no one else can read them, or is that considered cheating?

And finally, what are the restrictions of bringing a camera to an event? I wouldn't want to disrupt the event by taking pictures, but photography is a large part of my life and I would love to take some pictures of the event in action. I would probably bring my small sports camera that can withstand all manner of abuse and isn't too obtrusive, and I would definitely not be snapping pictures at night or during any big scenes.

Thank you and hello!

You can check out the Catskills website here alliancecrossroads.com , they do have a players guide which goes indepth about the races as well for $5, its a .pdf. Also you might want to post to their part of the site here.

a: personal choice on names.
b: seen plenty of oriental styled garbs.
c: while you can use other languages, everybody knows Basic (English) in some form or amount.

As has been pointed out, a Rule Book will help a lot and is only about $5 for a PDF and will answer many of these questions. About half of the book is a general "Players Guide" containing advice and background information that applies to all the chapters -- the book isn't just "rules."

Taking pictures usually isn't a problem but you need to check with the chapter beforehand. Some players ask not to be photographed and so you need to respect their wishes. And you probably should be out of game when you do so; don't walk around with an anachronistic camera around your neck while you're playing Grignr the Adventurer. And no flash photography during night battles is a definite!

Definitely check with whatever chapter you will be playing for the local cultures. An Asian costume may fit the local orc culture in one game, for instance. We are not exclusively European.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!
K.iriel said:
Secondly, does the clothing have to be European? I have amassed quite a lot of traditional Oriental clothing that would be nice-and convenient-to use, even if it's only as an undergarment.
Great question. Some in game cultures encourage certain styles of clothing but I think in many cases it's up to the player and Asian style is fine. Not sure what Asian undergarments are like or how much you'd be showing them off though. I personally have some old fashioned Korean clothes and few kimonos that I plan on wearing in character at some point.

Third, what are the restrictions on the use of other languages in the game? I am fluent in both Spanish and Mandarin Chinese and am planning to add several other languages. Could I, for example, write things down in Chinese characters so that (presumably) no one else can read them, or is that considered cheating?
Generally, we assume that every race speaks English since it's the language all our players share and it's the language of magic spells and whatnot. But I think it's fine to use another language when you feel like it. I know that in character, I spoke to my wife in Korean a few times when we played together and didn't want to be understood by all.

The Crossroads "Guide to Kosmara" is also about $5, and contains the Player's Guide and race packets for all the races, all in an IG format with some OOG notes.

It's worth the money, and is an interesting read. It's usually available here, http://www.alliancecrossroads.com/page/ ... nt-portal/ but there's a Paypal button glitch ATM. (I emailed Christina to let her know). **EDIT** Email Christina, cvelderman@gmail.com if you need a player's guide. There are some yet-to-be-resolved issues regarding the donations taken in by Crossroads to help a player in need and Paypal's mysterious policies.

Some chapters have race packets that are based in Asian cultures (Japanese/Chinese/Korean, etc), but the closest any Crossroads packet gets are the elves, which are all Persian based. HQ's Dark Elves are based on Japanese culture (warning: you will end up with black makeup on your costuming, it's inevitable) and the Twilight Elf packet from Connecticut is Chinese based (and they are "pink" elves, so no makeup worries except ear prosthetics). There may be others that people can chime in on. You can also write into your character history that you have heritage from two different cultures, and appear human, but were raised by your Twilight Elven mother and therefore follow her culture and customs.

Actually, HQ dark elves are based on the ancient Aztecs as far as language and some culture go (not all, however). The dark elves in HQ that are Feudal Japan based are leftovers from when we were still part of Nero International. Yes, I just said I'm a leftover...spoiling in your refrigerator since 1998.

Scott

Ah, thank all of you guys very much! I'll definitely check out the .pdf, but with my traveling the internet isn't happy with me and shopping at the moment.

And I have another question, if it's not too much of a bother. Is there a fighting style generally used-such as fencing or kendo-or is it basically a whatever works for you without injuring the other person?

K.iriel said:
Ah, thank all of you guys very much! I'll definitely check out the .pdf, but with my traveling the internet isn't happy with me and shopping at the moment.

And I have another question, if it's not too much of a bother. Is there a fighting style generally used-such as fencing or kendo-or is it basically a whatever works for you without injuring the other person?

You'll find that LARP fighting is nothing like "real" fighting. A light tap is all you need, and a hit against a kneecap counts just as much as a hit against the chest.

Fearless Leader said:
You'll find that LARP fighting is nothing like "real" fighting. A light tap is all you need, and a hit against a kneecap counts just as much as a hit against the chest.

I dunno Mike. I've found a lot of people busy frowning when I shame-spot them as opposed to tap a kneecap.

Also, that second one will end your adventuring career. Don't worry, though, you can get a job as a city guard. Or so I hear. :D

twilsemail said:
Fearless Leader said:

I dunno Mike. I've found a lot of people busy frowning when I shame-spot them as opposed to tap a kneecap.

Also, that second one will end your adventuring career. Don't worry, though, you can get a job as a city guard. Or so I hear. :D

The first NPC that comes out and says anything about arrows and knees gets sentenced to obliteration. :grrr:

Alliance boffer combat is it's own unique fighting style. Speed and agility as well as knowledge of other fighting styles may help you pick it up quicker but it's not really comparable to other styles. The closest possible comparison would be fencing to 1 sword style. Its basically a game of weapon tag. It's fun as all hell and just like other weapon combat there are people who have been doing it for way too long and are unbelievably good at it. I'm not one of them :)

Another thing to note about Alliance LARP combat is that unlike real sword fighting, it can take literally dozens if not hundreds of valid hits to drop your opponent.

Back