A girl's gotta eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisp

Derya had begun to pack. The trip was going to be long, and if the current weather were any indication, bitterly cold. But the elven woman was excitedly anticipating staying in a city once more. She had never been a country girl. Ships and ports, that was her life, and she knew that she'd return to that life permanently, eventually, once she felt her time out in the world had been sufficient. She thrilled silently at the thought of proper taverns and proper shops and trading and the marketplace and scuzzy little bars where one gets too drunk and loses everything in a game of dice and then steals some too-big-a-man's little girlfriend right from under his nose and winds up in a whirlwind of lust and rum and fist fights.

She was going to get a hat. A proper hat with a feather.

Folding up her few changes of clothing, Derya stuffed them into her pack. She bit her lower lip as she looked down at her belongings, fingers trailing over the couple of books she owned before she stuffed those into the pack too.

It was going to be a long walk. She was used to long walks, it's how she had done most of her inland travelling when not hitching rides in wagons or on river boats. Speaking of river boats, she should have left town with the Grey Lady.. but then she would have missed too much.

She frowned then. They had lost a friend. A new friend to her. Her frown deepened. Those feelings, they needed to be tucked away. There was no place for softness here. The few times she dared show anything but a cheeky smile or a neutral gaze had only earned her the mockery of others. This was not her crew. She was growing fond, and she should probably curb that, because this was not her crew.

Finally, Derya looked over her assortment of alchemy. Maybe those bloody elixirs she had...purchased...could be sold in town. Maybe she could recoup her losses. Maybe she could figure out a way to make less of an *** of herself next time.

Finished packing, the pirate slipped out of the cabin and headed for the commons, seeing if maybe she could snag some company for the long journey.

Crow placed the last rock atop the small cairn he had constructed close to the Earth Weavers circle of power. He then brushed away snow just in front of the rocks until the grass underneath was revealed, and placed down twenty black feathers, each point slightly upward as if to look like wings. On top of these he placed seven small rocks, no bigger then pebbles, these would not mean anything to anyone watching him, however Crow knew very well what each piece meant. The cairn itself housed his friends spirit, offering it a place of rest and respite when facing it's new wandering form. The feathers were Crows own blessing and protection for the spirit, lest it become lost in this new world. The pebbles signified a seven pointed star, or a Faerie Star from where Crow was from, it symbolized the seven directions in which Earthen magick came from, east west south north, below and above, and most importantly within. Crow always assumed this was the reason for the pendant symbol of the Earth Weavers.

Power glowing softly from his hands, Crow reached down and placed a hand on either wing, in-canting a small bless spell to consecrate the grave. "Goodbye my friend." Crow exclaimed as he got to his feet from the kneeling position he was currently in, "I could not save your body, and thus the dark powers stole you, I can only hope that this allows your spirit some rest." Taking his staff from the tree it rested on, Crow looked upon the cairn with a cold, stern look, a determined look that only the deepest of thoughts are allowed. He turned, his gaze falling to the direction of the Arcane Sanctum's tent, and their mystical portal from which the Dark Reaches was traversable. "Know this day you foul creatures," he exclaimed to no one but the howling, frost-bitten wind, "You have made an enemy far greater then you are ready to deal with. You have given me reason to focus my body and my mind, and you have given me purpose like I have never known before." The wind howled in response to Crows words, as a snowy drift blew across the commons he continued, "Know that I will defend this land, and I will stop you no matter what the cost is to myself. I will see every one of you dead, dying or crying for mercy before you take another one of my friends, and I will unite the forces of anyone in this world willing to follow me to do so." With resolve stiffening his spine, and determination steeling his nerve he waited for any kind of response from the direction of the portal. When none came, Crow snarled his lip, spat on the ground and turned once more to the cabins, "Derya, hurry up at this rate we'll be walking through six foot snow drifts before we leave for Calenhelm, and I've much to do once I get there."

Hearing the call of Crow, Derya diverted from her path slightly that she might meet with him. A flash of irritation crossed her features at his tone and his words. It had been happening too often of late, the Elf being ordered around. She wasn't a part of any of the little clubs in the breach, not of Homeguard or magical groups or any other. She worked to protect the mines, but in that she was a contractor, not a soldier, so why did so many people feel they had the right to outright command her about? No pleases, no thank yous, no fair exchanges. Just do this, do that, and even on occasion a barked order. She bit her tongue, she did as was asked because the Breach was a dangerous place at times and any hand could be used for aid, truly, but she was growing weary of these assumptions. Where was the concern for her needs and wants? Where was the assessment of her actual abilities and skills? The getting to know her for who she was and what she was good at? No where. No. Instead she was treated as a generic pawn. She'd lose her temper, eventually, and more than likely just be written off...

Grimacing, Derya set the thoughts aside. She was homesick and cold and she desperately needed a good tumble in the furs. It was making her cranky. As she approached the north-man her tone was jovial, despite her words, "And what of what I need do? I've hardly been dawdling, but have you seen the collection of vials I need to pack? Bloody Chaos, if one of those gas globes bursts on our journey, we'd have some unpleasantness before us." She paused and took a glance around. "Is it just you and I on this trip then?"

Chuckling before responding, Crow exclaimed happily, "Aye, you me and the howling winds to keep us company. I didn't mean to rush you, only that I need some time away from this place." Crossing his arms the portly man gestured to the cairn pile, "Say your good byes and last respects to Frederic before we leave. I'll wait for you by the gate."

Derya shrugged at the invitation to say her last goodbyes to the fallen friend. What he had become was something..mortifying to her. A reminder that sometimes the risks they took would not end in happiness and laughter and good stories to remember over the years. She turned her dark gaze back to Crow. "I said goodbye already, what lay there now is nothing but a grim reminder of what he had been turned to. Let's go."
And, as was her nature, her demeanour shifted abruptly back to the jovial girl she was. "So, Crow, tell me a story or ten. It's a long road ahead and trust me when I say you don't want a bored Valdenhold on your hands."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back