A Major Announcement

(A note posted in most taverns and town squares throughout Briarpass)

Citizens of Briarpass and Wayside at Large,

It is known to many that I am a man of ethics and law. My primary oath to my King, His Grace Sir Gregor Isenhorn, is to provide safety for all good folk who dwell within Briarpass, and by extension, Wayside as a whole. I am each day surrounded by advisers who attempt to best guide me through the many decisions thrust upon me to ensure that safety. I assure all of you I make no decision without the good of the individuals ad well as the whole close to my mind and heart.

Our King and I are of one mind in one issue, that for Wayside to thrive it must be a kingdom of conscience. That conscience sometimes may be placed under duress by the high price of making the right decisions but those decisions, though requiring great sacrifices of our people, are critical to the fabric which weaves this nascent nation. Our King empowers me not to make easy decisions but to make the decisions that few would chose to make despite the costs.

Threats abound to our country, but no threat greater than the atrophy of inaction from fear. While fearful we should be of the many forces outside our control both within our country of without we cannot allow ourselves to be paralyzed by that fear. Like the men and women who fashion great monuments, we must begin that work one step at a time. If a burden exists to our people, we must find the resolve to lift it.

Such a burden exists to our trade routes now. Several once prominent passes through the Sandorian Spine to the Northlunds have been allowed to lay fallow for the threats that prevent caravans from safely travelling. The territory, informally claimed by the Darken Dwarves of the Spine, is rife with threat to all those who venture their without paying safe passage. The valuable resources which lay within our lands lay untouched for the threat that the Darken Dwarves present to any growth of society. Raiding parties have often taken from passing caravans and attacks have grown bolder as the Spine Dwarves have grown stronger in both their power and their ambitions. If we are to have a secure country, we must secure both these resources, and the border upon which they rest.

It is thus with steeled resolve that I have ordered Sera Elledandiril Zanabanath, under the command of Ser Ganavan at the head of an expeditionary force of 200 ducal soldiers to simultaneously blockade the main cavern to the Darken Dwarves subterranean kingdom and intercept a shipment of precious ore and war materials earmarked to purchase supplies with which to continue the Spine Dwarves depredation of our kingdom's borders.

These actions bring war to our kingdom, and to our home of Briarpass. I am of the belief that we should fight wars when we chose, not when our enemies chose to make war on us. I thus, by his Majesty's command call forth the banners of Briarpass to war. Our Kingdom will not deal with Necromancers, will no longer allow them safety nor shall we tolerate the continued assaults upon our peoples for the sole sake of the Spine Dwarves power mongering. We will prevail through this night as we have upon other dark nights and the dawn shall see Wayside safer, stronger, and more secure.

We do not go into this fight like the last, unprepared. At this time, I formally declare a state of emergency for the Duchy of Briarpass and call all upon all registered guilds to perform their duties including the celestial guild has set temporary facilities in every major village rally point where, should we be assaulted, the people may seek the safety of wards and all earth guild members whom are immediately recalled to their circles by Ducal order to prepare care for the wounded. I charge Sera Fallingstar with the logistical support of our home supply train and the organization of the Ducal War Chest and coordination with the Duchy of Koshinarai. Baron Selmi shall take charge of the Defense of Briarpass and the organization of the militia and banners. Finally, Ser Ganavan will take charge of the vanguard of Briarpass and is charged with pressing the war into the Darken Dwarves homes using Sera Zanabanath to coordinate the actions of Encampment 42's resident mercenaries and adventurers. I call upon all registered adventuring and mercenary companies. It is time to earn the right to call ourselves the free folk of Wayside lend us your swords.

May our sacrifices bring us secured peace.

Duke Jocelyn Raash
Duke of Briarpass
Marutian Master of the Celestial Guild
Defender of the Western Kingdom of Wayside

My skills will be available as i can offer them, as i do not tolerate the casting of chaos, regardless of who is doing it and what state our kingdom is in. Count me in.

Kalin

Back