A Message Heard Across the Land

Lurin

Duke
<This message is heard as if by an accepted Whispering Wind by all those that are considered to be citizens of Gaden. This includes adventurers new and old, even if you have strong ties to other lands as well.>

By Heritage and Birthright, I now take up the Scepter of Ages and command that it recognize me as the one, only, and true King of Gaden.

I take upon myself the mantle of lordship over all the domains held by the Gaden family and its servants. I take upon myself and recognize the weight of my Father's crown.

Having waited the requisite time since his death for challengers to step forward, I now call upon all to recognize my rightful claim as King, and renew and transfer all oaths of fealty and rights of land ownerships of those that continue their service to my house as valid and true. Let those who have served my Father faithfully now serve me with all the rights and privileges due to their station.

With Oaths fulfilled and the test of bloodlines complete, I now proclaim myself King as my ancestors have before me and hold my rights, privileges, and power as absolute in these lands. Woe be to any who would contest this from this day forward.

<With that, a chorus can be heard around the new King, with a resounding shout like thunder as all those in attendance can be heard to shout “Long Live the King” three times in a row. After this, the King's tone changes and it's clear he's changing from ancient words chanted upon the changing of power to being now “off script.”>

Greetings citizens of Gaden,

Having taken up my Father's scepter, I now must take up upon myself his duties as the head of the Realm. My Father's time saw the Corrupt turn from an occasional concern to a full fledge threat to his people. He comported himself with dignity, wisdom, and a care for all his people, and the defensive strategies he had implemented have saved thousands and have proven capable of holding the line against incredible odds.

My Father first met the Corrupt on that dark day in the Valley of Solace as he and his parents we caught by the advancing horde returning from Pratorak. Cruel fate conspired to rip from him his father and mother in that same night even as he resurrected, taking up the mantle of leadership at a young age. I think we can all look back and say he rallied to the cause and need of his people in a way that honors the royal blood line, and I can only hope that when my days of Kingship end I can be remembered as having performed as such.

I too have had my days before taking up the mantle marred by the Corrupt, spending many dark days behind their lines before being brought back into the light. While the specifics of this event need not be shared, you can be well assured that I have seen the heart of our foe and the breadth of their power and I know first-hand of our foe from many previous combat encounters. I will not mince words; in my Father's time we have seen the attacks of the corrupt strain our resources. We have done all we can to combat this, with our minimum recruitment age for the military having been pushed as far forward as is reasonable. We are no longer able to allow our brave soldiers to retire after they have valiantly given their lives multiple times. So many of our soldiers on the front lines today are at risk of permanent death because frankly we don't have the man power to replace them.

We have weathered the storm as best as we can, but the losses continue to mount and the cold math shows that we cannot continue along our current path. Our fine military, along with numerous brave individuals, have stuck the first blows against the Corrupt already in recent years. Just yesterday we have validated reports that the Valley of Solace has been fully cleansed of Corrupt. Lord Westguard, as noble a man as any in the long history of his house, led a small force to dispatch the final band of the creatures behind the Anvil's Line. Scholars amongst the Earth and Celestial Guilds have discovered the vital keystone of the enemy's power and have documented ways to strike back. No longer is lost ground forever out of our reach, and in my time as King we will go on the offensive to take back the land, for our Kingdom, for our Children, and for our neighbors in this we cannot fail.

<The King takes a deep breath before continuing.>

Some among my advisors have suggested that pushing back the Corrupt is the dream of a madman. Their words are strong, impassioned and filled with concern for the people, but I have chosen not to hear them. If I am mad it is because I will not accept the notion that our kingdom is doomed. This is MY land and the Corrupt cannot have it! I shall call out to all of them: retreat from our lands immediately or be destroyed, if not by myself, than by one of the multitudes that stand with me. If I am a dreamer, it is because I dream of a time when I can look out on the kingdom from my death bed and hear from my own son's lips that peace reigns and that my people are free to grow their families safe from the constant threat of the Corrupt. We have already begun our work, and steps are being taken in this endeavor.

Duke Idden, King’s Knight and long steward of our family, friend to my Father and confidant of our family, was brokenhearted at my Father's loss. He came to me at the funeral and asked that I grant him interment rights, to be sealed within the crypt with my Father and be allowed to continue his service. Though it broke my heart to do so, I have denied him this right, for our resources are too scarce to allow any to be lost in such a manner. Instead I have granted Duke Idden the right to be released from several of his normal responsibilities in his lands, with these obligations passing to his son in his absence, and he shall continue to serve as King's Knight under my reign. In addition, he has been grant command over a new section of the military that will titled the Vanguard. Even as I speak to you today, Duke Idden and Guardsman Woods, a personal companion that has agreed to serve on the Vanguard and ensure its goals, are striking back against our foe in the lands of Pratorak. With the majority of those stationed upon the Valley of Solace wall, the Vanguard is tonight working with the Pratorakan Army and reclaiming the forward positions and keeps lost during the assault known as the Shade's Stab. This is being done to honor our alliance with our friends to the East, for this war is greater than any one kingdom.

Secondly, I have sent Arcanist Dure'dhel along with supplies, golems, and other resources to aid the Vornae, having been made aware by their ambassador to our lands that a change in their leadership is in progress. We wish them a smooth transition and it is our hope that the aid being sent will be of some assistance in their efforts to guard their caverns during that time.

This is only the beginning of a long and arduous war that will consume the majority of my reign, if not the reign of my children. Speaking to that, as I am unwed and now officially the king, it is our law that I must take a bride. To that end, on the 25th of this month I will be holding a banquet of engagement in order to choose a bride. Any citizen of Gaden willing and capable of bearing an heir to continue the bloodline may attend. Arrangements for travel can be made for those in need of it by contacting your local lord or military outpost. As is tradition, I will meet with as many as I able before making my decision known by my final dancing partner of the evening.

The magic of the Scepter of Ages wanes, and I have said all that I have desired to say. I leave you with this: no longer will we hide behind our walls and count the days, for from this day forth it is the Corrupt that will have reason to fear.

- King Talon Gaden
Seventh of his Line, Ruler of Gaden

Back
Top Bottom