A PC's first weekend

Dom

Scout
I've got another question.

I know that when you create a PC, at your first event, you should receive a weapon tag for each weapon you have and have the skill to use. If you have the throwing weapon skill are you limited to one throwing weapon or if you have three on you would you receive a tag for all three weapons?

From what I have been told, it is actually 1 tag per weapon skill (blade skills don't count).

For example:
Joe Character has 1 handed master and thrown weapon, he also has 3 critical attacks.
He will get 2 weapon tags.

Bob Character has weapon master and 5 profs.
He will get 1 weapon tag.

Julie Character has Staff, 1 handed master, and thrown weapon.
She will get 3 weapon tags.

OK, so, one thrown weapon then

One other quick question that is somewhat related. A thrown weapon can be made entirely out of closed cell foam. correct?

Here's the text directly from the book (decided to look it up after posting)

You are also given one weapon tag for
every weapon skill you possess. For instance,
if you buy the skill One Handed Edged, you
will get one tag for a one handed edged weapon
of your choice; if you buy the skill Florentine
or Two Weapons, then you will get two tags
since those skills need two weapons. You will
not be given a tag for every physical weapon
representation you bring into game.

Dom said:
OK, so, one thrown weapon then

One other quick question that is somewhat related. A thrown weapon can be made entirely out of closed cell foam. correct?
A Thrown MUST be made entirely out of OPEN cell foam, "All thrown weapons must be soft-sculptured or made of only open cell foam or pipe insulation with no pipe inside. They cannot have any sharp corners. Packets cannot be used as thrown weapons" (ARB pg. 66).

yes, I read that but pipe insulation is closed cell foam, hence my question.

No dice, bro; must be open-cell (with the caveat that a Safety/Weapon Marshals is her own kingdom and can make exceptions if she's feeling peevish).

OK, I'm just confirming because the text is misleading. I was already under the impression that it needed to be all open cell which is why it confused me.

Final question!

The ARB only lists "throwing daggers" and "javelins" for thrown weapons. If I wanted to make, say, a throwing axe would that be considered a throwing dagger as far as production?

Nevermind, I found my answer

Dom said:
yes, I read that but pipe insulation is closed cell foam, hence my question.

The only closed cell foam you can use is pipe insulation.

Dom said:
A thrown weapon can be made entirely out of closed cell foam. correct?
Per the rulebook, a thrown weapon can be made from closed-cell foam.
All thrown weapons must be soft-sculptured or made of only open cell foam or pipe insulation with no pipe inside. (ARB pg. 66, bolding, underlining added for emphasis)

You could use foam rubber, for instance, and be fine for meeting the technical requirements of constructing a thrown weapon.

I think there needs to be a bit of clarification here. People seem to be having a difference in opinions on this. I already made my intended thrown weapons from open cell to be safe

Dom said:
I think there needs to be a bit of clarification here. People seem to be having a difference in opinions on this. I already made my intended thrown weapons from open cell to be safe
You are absolutely right. The writing in the rulebook regarding Thrown Weapon construction is unclear and contradictory. Until it is cleaned up, these kinds of questions will continue to come up. Open cell is a safe bet, but your local Marshall will have to give a "yea" or "nay", no matter what it's made of.

On a related note, I'd make sure that your weapon is "heavy" enough (layered duct tape is your friend) that it won't get blown off course by the wind. That's one thing I've found significantly increases accuracy and range.

-Luke

Im actually quite impressed with the throwing hatchets I made

¿Can you share your hatchets with the class? I've seen shaped throwing weapons before, but while they looked cool, they've never flown true for me. Unfortunately, the most effective (most likely to fly true and land home) "thrown weapons" I've seen are either "sharpened rocks" (spheres of open-cell with some kind of weighted center) or "block daggers" (rectangular solids of open-cell with some kind of weighted center). They work fine but they're just not cool looking. ¿Did you figure out something swank?

They're approximately 7"x4"x1". The bulk of the weight is in the head of the axe and the handle is curved in just as you would want for an actual throwing hatchet. This allows them to pretty much roll out of your hand on a throw. They're made entirely out of open cell foam and duct tape.

253881_223221327706813_100000568425016_863836_7176041_n.jpg

Those look cool (very cool, actually...I'm quite jealous)...but you might not get them passed...while they are probably very safe, the construction guidelines say that they must be no less than 2" in diameter. It all depends on how your local Marshal is feeling ;)

Also, make sure you try some test throws at a target 20+ ft. away. If you need some more weight, you can use leather strips (no more than 1/2" wide) to wrap up the "grip" area. It's flexible and soft enough not to pose any safety issues while still being relatively heavy.

-Luke

Well... damn... there goes a dumb moment. I wasn't even considering the thickness when I made them.

Easy fix, I just taped 2 of them together to give me the 2" thickness.

I made a few more

259936_224378210924458_100000568425016_874432_6621306_n.jpg

Back