A proper introduction

Hello, fellow adventurers. I've visited the dream realm in order to clear a wrong of mine, that none of you were aware.

I have been adventuring for some time now, going by the name 'Wycliff'. While I'm sure there aren't any of you who had reason to disbelieve that, it is not, in fact, my proper name. It was given to me by my foster mother, a fey named Flidia, sadly for the simple reason she was fond of rocks.

Ever since I lost my wife, I've felt as though I did not deserve the name I'd shared while with her; but recent events, along with the restoring of my celestial magic, have helped me to move on from the past. I'm ready to once again assume the gift from my mother, and take responsibility for the wrongdoings of my past, as well as the consequences there-of.

I am Velnaeus Xevaz, a Seeker of Creation. Whether I am referred to as Velnaeus, Veln, or simply Xevaz makes no difference to me, and I hope you'll forgive me for my deception.

Sincerely,

Velnaeus Xevaz, Seeker of Creation.

Mystic Wood Elves often have their full name and their "travelling" name, for example, Eldandiril and I call ourselves Elle and Cena. So don't be surprised if we call you Wycliff anyway, especially since we have associated that name with your past antics.

-Cenarith

Though I would certainly not be surprised, the reason I took the time to dream this is for that exact purpose: names have power, but they also carry memories of the past, memories that I realized I've been trying to escape. If I am running from my past, I can never move into the future: thus, I ask for your consideration of the name by which I carry on the lives of those who've gone before me.

- Velnaeus Xevaz, Seeker of Creation.

[Sigh]

This is going to be my whole next gather, isn't it?

- Velnaeus Xevaz

I agree with Cena. People are given "nicknames" in which they are called by when adventuring. For those of us that have adventured with you, we know you as Wycliff. So dont we surprised when we call you that. As for any new adventurers, they will call you which name you wish to go bye.

As for myself, you have always been called Wycliff and I will continue to call you so. But i do appreciate you being honest with everyone.

-Sir Nyio Sorn

[Laughs] Oddly enough, you're the perfect example of such an occurrence. Thank you for clearing that up, Shiny.

- Velnaeus Xevaz

I am not how vou zay good vith names to begin vith...with luck I may call vou the correct name eventually. Vut I vould zay in formal matterz vou are Wvelnaeuz vut in the heat of battle and in the quiet ov the tavenr to be called Vwycliffe iz no ovvenze.

Kit

I will certainly answer to both, and you are right that I will take no offense to anyone who calls me Wycliff. I simply wished to inform you all of my preference.

- Velnaeus Xevaz

Can I call you Vel? Otherwise I'll stick to Wycliff.

-Radi

Vel would be fine.

- Velnaeus Xevaz

Just to let you know, changing your name after knowing everyone for a while is not going to work well. Tried that myself, doesn't work. SO with that said... real name or not, Wycliff is likely the only thing I will ever call you because you know i will butcher the rest of your name.

And since names have power and I know that power personally, it will be good for me to not remember what might be your true name. Just in case some one regains control over mine and it compromises you too... I am not anticipating that this will happen, I am being better safe than sorry.

Unless I'm somehow a Mystic Wood Elf and didn't realize it, I don't believe I have a 'true name'. Still, I see your point, and I don't expect it to fully catch on at this point.

Wyc, err, Val. Every creature and thing has a true name, Mystic Wood Elves are just aware of theirs. El I am sure could explain that more as I don't understand through what means they learn it. Your true name is not the same as your name.

Fredrick

I see. That's certainly good to know, though I doubt Velnaeus is my true name. I heard tell that when someone invokes your true name, it is like someone walking over your graves, and you have no choice but to obey. Seeing as my wife called me by that name for eleven years, I probably would've noticed.

Velnaeus Xevaz I will stand by your new name. I will need a proper pronunciation when we meet again so I may speak it fluently without blunder.

Velnaeus Xevaz,

Just knowing a True Name does not automatically grant one power over another being. Frederick is absolutely correct in the facts that thing has a true name and most mystics know theirs.

Those who almost brought every mystic to either permanent enslavement or permanent death have yet to be brought to justice through the improper use of True Name Magic. By their selfish acts hundreds recurrected, had their wills usurped and were put to permanent death. And I suspect that the joke about your wife was made in jest with no malice intent, could you and others please avoid this sensitive topic?

Thank You,
Lady FallingStar

Of course, Lady Fallingstar, my apologies; though, as you seem to be well versed in the subject, if all things have a true name, does that apply to magic as well?

-Velnaeus Xevaz

Back