A question of commerce.

Wraith

Recent occurances have brought up something that I thought needed asking, as it will affect the adventuring populace closely. The laws state that it is a crime to withold taxes due, and that's understandable, governments don't pay for themselves (more's the pity). But I've not seen anything laying out just what is taxed. I know a lot of folk make their living roaming from land to land, righting wrongs for the adoration of the populace, but more are of a sensibly mercenary mindset, and like to get paid for their efforts. That being the case... are we all supposed to be paying into Briarpass' coffers? How about those hardy souls who roam to sell their wares?

Obviously, we could use a touch of clarification for everyone's sake.

-Padraig

Quiet around here, lately. Jara, I know you've been 'round, could you you enlighten a bit on what taxes look like for someone peddling a bit of provender in Briarpass?

-Padraig

Oh Hey There Padraig,

I noticed your inquiry a few weeks back and figured a magistrate or one of the masters would answer you. I wouldnt want to step in where I dont quite know whats going on.

Most taxes are crop taxes/land taxes/and road taxes so theres not any sort of "income" tax but theres some taxes on goods to be followed, I can discuss it with you furter at the market day. There are licenses and permits through if your looking to set up shop and of course if you make over a certain amount of product then you have to have more special licenses.

I think taxes were paid last summer by Regent Rockfist. He established a trust to pay taxes through this years fall harvest for almost all of Briarpass. Thats why the population has been regrowing so quickly and business so brisk around these parts as land taxes/crop taxes and the like have been non existant.

Now if your looking to start an official business you would speak to Regent Renlee or one of the Masters of Briarpass. I think Dramthin Heartsboon, Liddia Fallingstar, and Master Nanashi-Sama are the ones who can decide wether you can open up shop here and then walk you through the process of getting a permit.

Now that said thats only if you plan the majority of your incomme to be on this business. As most adventurers see more coin in a days adventure than in a months work at a shop the majority dont see a need to set up permits as your only taxed on the shop if it makes over a certain amount.

Beats me what that amount is, youd need a barrister for that.

Jara
Tavern Keeper

Jara,

Thanks for the rundown. I know a couple of those you name Masters, so I'll just be running one down and bending their ear a bit. Mostly curious as it seems I make more of m' living in the kitchen than in the field these days, and the idea of retiring to spend more time cookin' and brewin' seems like a decent one.

-Padraig

Padraig,

Wayside commerce is complicated at best, especially if you seek trade between provinces. Mostly, as long as you're selling adventurer goods to adventurers in Briarpass, there's no real personal surtax - most of the taxes of that kind are dealt with on a province level. If you want to set up a shop, you'd best be served by speaking with the Regent of that province, she'll help you with the intricacies. Arbor would also be a great place to look for answers; Hitch 42 or another trading guild would probably be willing to give you some commercial advice, for a consulting fee of course.

If you're looking to set up a distillery in Briarpass, you can come to me this coming Market Day with your business plan. I'll be happy to speak with Regent Firstborne about getting you the appropriate permits. Though I'd miss your arm in the field, I'm always happy to see another person settle down to make an honest living.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Thanks for the kind word, Dramthin. I'm nowhere near givin' it all up to settle down, just thinking that adventuring is enough fun for me, and it'd be nice to have somethin' that isn't soldiering to fall back on in lean times and winters. Coming to a time that I'm not in favor of luggin' armor through the snow if I don't have to.

-Padraig

Padraig,

I'm actually putting together an import/export business, working with Alavatar, the Red Wizard of Andar to sell his ciders and wines. Drop me a line if you're interested in joining me on this venture.

Regent Firstborne,

I would love to speak to you this market day if you have a spare few minutes about acquiring the proper licenses to sell the products. I may even have a sample bottle or two to share with you, to sample the quality goods I wish to sell.

Garmok

Back