A Visitor from Nydabeth

A novella of sorts is delivered to inns and taverns across the shard. It bares the mark of the Duchess Elavir, an official publication. Compiled and authored by Midnight and Xi'gaze.

Across the front reads Compiled Notes on the Recent Visit of Elementalist Makain from the Realm of Nydabeth, on the Shard of Gileanea - Subject: Elemental Bridge.

Makani is a very tall, thin wisp of a human male wearing multiple layers of alternating grey and white robes. The robes seem to be gently blown around him by some unseen breeze. There are moments when you swear that you can see completely through him for just a second, as if he was briefly reduced to smoke and then reformed just as quickly. He speaks at almost a whisper but somehow his voice carries on the wind.

To those gathered in the the Ducal Estate at the invitation of the Duchess Elavir.

"I am but a humble servant to the Pure Ones of Nydabeth. I have known no other life but one of servitude. And I have been happy to do so. It has been a good life for me. My years of dedicated service have afforded me an elevated position within our ranks." He continues, "Their Royal Highnesses have asked me to see what I could do to help soothe unrest and provide you with knowledge that may aid in our two lands entering into a mutual relationship. One where we might both benefit and prosper, one from the other."

Elavir nods to Makani's comments "Many of us have questions about your social structures, Guilds, and of course the bridge."

Makani pauses to collect his thoughts, "There is much to unpack in your request, your Grace. If you would allow me... I shall begin by speaking not to the bridge itself but to what led us to find its existence...?"

Elavir responds, "Please, go on"

Makani begins “There was an event, almost 50 decades ago now, where the Weavers bade us make ready for a great many visitors. We did not know why, nor was it our place to ask. We served and we obeyed. We busily made accommodations and we waited to receive the Pure Ones’ guests. We continued to wait for almost two decades.” “And then, from the south, The Trine led a great many of their people out of The Sliventis Compact and into the southern portion of The Duchy of Tieveth. That event is now known as The Night of Exodus. And many of those that traveled with our beloved Trine then formed the foundations of the modern day Realm of Nydabeth." "That might not seem relevant at first glance.... however..." “The Weavers presented us with that same request two months ago. It is only the second time it has ever happened.” “We have been busily preparing for your arrival since before we even knew it would be you. But, of course, now we know they meant for this to be. They wish for you to come and I can not yet speak to why. I know only that it will be … impactful. For us. And for those that choose to make the journey.” "That preparation led us to the knowledge of how to create The Elemental Bridge. Some would say we stumbled upon it.... I believe different. We were led. They bid us serve. And then they provided us with the means to do so."

Elavir states, "You have to understand it is... awkward for us to consider that our arrival was... "prepared for."" "How could your people, even the most influential have... known of us if you were myst locked. Or perhaps I should ask - are you myst locked?"

Makani nods slowly. Agreeing. "I do understand, your Grace. Their ways are not always known to us. I have bore witness to this the entirety of my blessed life." "Yes, your Grace. It has been so for as long as I can remember. The whole of Gileania has been myst locked. However, The Onyx Dawn are close to solving that problem for all of us. And while I have only just recently been gifted with the ability to travel to visit with you, those that I serve are not similarly bound. Their powers are unfathomable. They have not been locked along with those beneath them."

Elavir asks "Whose powers, do you refer to the Pure Ones?"

Makani respectfully nods yes "Indeed, your Grace. It has been my most distinct honor to call myself a servant to the Pure One's. I have seen marvelous things done in their name. Facilitated several of those marvelous things over many years now."

Elavir asks "So the Pure Ones, can we talk to them? Since they knew of our coming I would be curious to meet them"

Makani's face goes sad at Elavir's request "Would that it were so, your Grace. But even those that happily and dutifully serve have never had the privilege of basking in their presence or speaking to them directly." Elavir makes a concerned face at Makani's comments.

Catching her glance “The Pure Ones are Icons?” Bluwolf asks. “We also call them Overlords here.”

Makani ponders the question "Do you mean to ask if they are symbolic? Or maybe a better understanding of the term Icon would inform my answer, kind sir?"

Bluwolf continues “The elementals we’re used to have ranks of power, as well as social status.” “Shards are smallest, then they grow into imps, then adepts, lords, knights, and then icons.” “Icons, or Overlords, are the highest ranking elemental we have documented in their hierarchy.

Elavir asks "These Pure ones are not communicated with - how... do you know their wishes?"

His attention immediately returns to the Duchess request "Yes your Grace, we do not speak with them directly. They speak to us through their most trusted servants, the Dark Elves of Nydabeth." Returning to answer Bluwolf "We have stratified our level of service with those that follow The Pure One's... however, we would not impose such structure on those above."

Elavir raises an eyebrow "The Dark Elves must be revered in your lands as great communicators" she offers genuinely.

The traveling stone elf wizard Xi'gaze raises his hand and waits to be recognized. Elavir having recognized him he begins, "Thank you, Your Grace. In legendarium of my shard and in tales of others the term 'Pure Ones' has been used in relation to elementals that seem are to exceed the status of Overlords or are perhaps the first among such equals - they are all but the same as their planes. This could be a coincidence."

Makani nods in silent agreement.

Elavir continues scribbling "Interesting." She pauses for a moment and asks, "Could you expand on how our elementals are harming your Pure Ones? If you know that answer?"

Makani nods again "I can try, your Grace. As best I understand it, the elementalists of your world follow not one but two elements? Is this correct...?" "This ... division is I believe to be at the heart of the matter. The mixed loyalty has caused some ... I struggle to find the right words... backlash... disharmony possibly... that has grown over the years. It has grown so large now that we have been told that it will eventually reach our world and cause it irreparable harm. The Weavers informed us that we have been tasked with aiding with this issue. Our research led us to find of the Elemental Bridge's existence and how one might create it to siphon off this ... disharmony safely."

Elavir nods "This, disharmony - can you explain in any way how the two shards are connected elementally? Or is this merely a function of Fortannis?"

Makani answers "This process of syphoning off the disharmony I am told takes one full cycle of the moon to complete, once all anchors have been found and properly placed. The side effect of which is the solidification of the mysts between worlds that serve as the anchor points."

Elavir nods "A side effect that is a boon in this case."

Makani says "I suspect that our Pure Ones and the elemental beings of your world are linked in some way, but that is mere speculation on my part, if I am being entirely honest, your Grace." He smiles at the boon comment "They provide. They have my entire life, your Grace."

Elavir nods "I understand, perhaps we should explore what it is this bridge requires for construction"

Robert, a raccoonkyn, walks back into the cellars and grabs a bottle of amber alcohol.

Makani answers "Yes. I can tell you that we are in the process of forming the four Mysterium anchors that will serve on the Gileania side of the bridge. There will need to be four Foundational anchors that are located and placed on the Acarthian side of the bridge." "What will those anchors need to be on our end from a logistical and practical standpoint."

Elavir raises and eyebrow at the bottle. "Where did you get the bottle?"

The racoonkyn responds, "Acarthia." "Should I put it back?"

Quickly, Elavir says "Yes. Now."

Rob grumbles as he puts it back.

Elavir says as he exits "My attendants will provide you with your refreshments, please do not wander about the estate"

Continuing as nothing happened, Makani says "...and I believe that Grand Mistress Tovyl Cendorn of the Onyx Dawn has been tasked with providing the means to locate and procure each of them here in Acarthia. We have respectfully been waiting to take those next steps only after we have received an offer to do so here." "The anchors we were tasked with locating were pure objects of their respected element. So, I believe the Foundational anchors are going to be strong, pure sources of Fire, Ice, Lighting, and Stone. But again... Grand Mistress Cendorn is prepared to assist with that effort."

Elavir shoots a look at the liquor theif. "You seem to be new. Please sit down and enjoy our company's wisdom little Racoon or you will be politely removed from the premisses."

Makani lowers his head in respect once again "We have a great need to see this done. It stems not from greed, nor pride, but rather merely a desire to serve and, if I may be so selfish, to see the destruction of our world not come to pass. However, these are not our lands and we are trying our very best to be respectful of the conflict, or conflicts that seem to be plaguing your people here...." Makani stands up, glides effortlessly before the Duchess, and then bends to take a knee before her! "All I ask is you let us help, your Grace?! I humbly ask... let us save both of our peoples?!?"

Elavir seems taken aback at the gesture "It is our intent to aide you and your people, but we are a people who have seen... a great deal of betrayal over the years and so we are naturally a cautious people. Respectfully, you are unknown to us Makani - as are your people. We want to help your people, do you not have adventurers or heroes of your own?"

Makani responds "Yes. But they will be working diligently on anchoring the bridge in Gileania, as they have no means to assist here. And if I am being honest, your Grace, we are a small realm with a much larger and more dangerous neighbor just to the west of us. I must believe that your presence has been ordained to aid us with that looming threat. It is again, speculation... but I believe we are destined to need aid with them. They are far too aggressive to think otherwise."

Lagarde wanders down the hall, approximately 2.5 minutes later, he wanders back with a partially-full bottle of year 379 whiskey, which he hands to Robert the nods to Elavir.

Robert sets the bottle down on the table and points at Lagarde.

Lagarde grins. He picks back up the bottle and hands it back to Robert.

Robert holds the bottle, looks to Elavir, points at the bottle, and shrugs.

She shakes her head, but smiles at Robert "Well done newcomer." she shakes her head at Lagarde "Would you two gents like an actual drink?"

Rob exclaims "I didn' do it!"

Lagarde points at the bottle and gives Robert a thumbs-up.

Robert proceeds to bite the cork out of the bottle and take a swig directly from it.

Makani continues "Yes. But they will be working diligently on anchoring the bridge in Gileania, as they have no means to assist here. And if I am being honest, your Grace, we are a small realm with a much larger and more dangerous neighbor just to the west of us. I must believe that your presence has been ordained to aid us with that looming threat. It is again, speculation... but I believe we are destined to need aid with them. They are far too aggressive to think otherwise."

She turns back to the elementalist "That... is interesting. Do you not have adventurers to fight this western threat?"

Korric pipes up, "I think, if I'm not mistaken, I've already been tasked to aid you. Though I haven't been able to make much progress in that effort."

Makani answers "We do. And we have a military presence also. However, as stated, we are a young people. And we have been fortunate in our short history to have been able to focus on building, planting, harvesting, and growing. In that same time, The Sliventis Compact has served but one master, that being war." "It is really not my place to say... but I believe in my heart that they have placed us in each other's path for a reason. We can speculate on that reason all night. However, it will reveal itself only when they have ordained it to happen. I choose to believe that it is because we each need the other at present."

Roberts eyes go wide as he realizes that wasn't just rum. Robert flops forwards onto the table limp.

Lagarde snickers.

Elavir pinches her brow. "Can someone make that person comfortable, and tell me who they are?" She nods to the dude on the table "Not all of our uniqueness is.. healthy, but we try."

Lagarde puts Robert in a chair then tucks the bottle of swill in the crook of his arm.

Robert starts sleep twitching and running in his sleep.

Lagarde ties Robert's boots together for his safety.

Makain smiles playfully at the last comment "I can both see and respect that. Let me see if I can help answer..." "Your Grace, I must excuse myself, I'm afraid. I need to get back to town duties. Will your guard be able to handle..." motions at Robert.

Xi'gaze in a small voice "The sleeping kin is called Robert, Your Grace." Elavir nods to LaGarde.

Makain continues "When we were told to prepare those fifty years ago now... we had time, years in fact, to prepare for their arrival. We ... have not been afforded that same luxury this time. However, our leaders recognized and respected the precedent. They learned from our past. And they listened in our present. We have been building and making every accommodation we can think to make to prepare for a massive arrival. Once we have received our guests, they will be provided for as best we can. And then we will begin the process of finding them a proper home. It would not do to place a blacksmith in a farmstead, or a sailor in one of our academic institutes. We will do our very best to as quickly as we can find them all a proper home." "We have no desire to disrespect those guests to our shores history, or distinct culture by dismissing is outright or attempting to hide or change it."

Elavir says "There is a reverence you place on our people that is... so strange for many of us. You are a people of deep history and prosperity, we also wish to respect that."

Makain respectfully bows once again at the compliment "I serve at their pleasure..."

Elavir states "Adventurers are a class of peoples who have a nature of exploration and well... adventures." She nods to Gwen warmly "We are just wondering how we would fit in within someone else’s home if you understand." "As honored guests. We will do what we have been asked to do. What it is right to do. By aiding these beleaguered people. And by assisting these adventurers with relocating and finding a new place for them to call home. Once they have found that, if they wish to explore, Nydabeth has much to offer that mindset far to the vastly unexplored western Duchy of Keldeska."

The black clad stone elf note the new arrival and in seemingly response pulls out another tome and begins to write, right handedly. His left hand is raised in a request to interject. Elavir nods respectfully to give Xi'gaze the floor.

Makani's form seems to alter briefly. He seems to dissolve into mist for a split second before reforming in his chair.

"Thank you for answering my many questions Elementalist Makani." Xi'gaze asks, "Excuse me, Elementalist Makani, Servant to the Pure Ones, Ancillary of the Wind - you have referenced both fifty decades and fifty years in relation to preparations for the previous arrival. Can you clarify, please?"

Makain responds "My apologies. I mistakenly referenced fifty decades... it has been about five. Almost fifty ~years~, not decades. I ask your forgiveness, traveling this far has not been a privilege of mine for quite some time!"

Xi'gaze says "Thank you, Elementalist." he seems about to say more but presses his black lips together with a nod and resumes writing.

Makain, with a nod, he returns to Elavir "Your Grace, with your permission, may I send summons to have Grand Mistress Cendorn come to assist you with locating the anchors we will need to find here?"

Elavir says "You have been very kind to offer us your time and answers, it is genuinely appreciated. Yes, I believe we need to start this process"

Midnight piping up, "As for finding anchors, Cendorn has already found a pair, Korric and myself."

Korric nods in agreement.

Makain smiles at the response "This gladdens my heart, your Grace! I am happy to continue to serve them and am very excited about facilitating next steps. If there is nothing else, I would take my leave to prepare as fast as we can."

"The anchors are people?" Elavir looks concerned "Will they be in any danger?"

Makain to Midnight "I believe you speak of a different type of anchor. These anchors will be made of pure element and be foundational in nature." To Elavir "No, your Grace. I do not believe that people are going to be these pure elemental sources we will need to gather for the Elemental Bridge anchors."

Robert flops down under the table.

Oh dear, can we please get this kyn looked after? I'd like to see them safely returned to the tavern without incident." Some nearby attendants try to prop up Robert, gently. Elavir nods to Makani. "I will just want to know the particulars.

Makain continues "Yes, your Grace. Of course." "But I believe it best to have the Grand Mistress speak to both matters as soon as I can facilitate her visit."

Standing, Midnight assists the attendants, casting another sleep on the kyn. Robert starts rousing but then gets sleeped again.

Makain asks "Is there any other way I may be of service at present, to you or your guests, your Grace?"

The kyn is handled with respect and care, and a nice room is paid for for them at the tavern.

Elavir to Makain, "You have been most informative."

The stone elf Xi'gaze "May I ask two questions, Your Grace?" "I understand if we are concluded instead."

Elavir "please go on"

"There are Pure Ones of Nydabeth, do the Silventis Compact also follow Pure Ones?"

Makani nods as he answers "Indeed there are. There are many who serve all of the Pure Ones that reside in all the known lands of Gileania."

Elavir nods to her attendants to begin clearing the food and tidying up as they finish talking.

Bluwolf grabs a few finger sandwiches as the plates are being taken out.

Xi'gaze continues "Thank you. Can you very briefly characterize the Weavers -are they related to idea of 'fate' or 'destiny'?"

Makani smiles at Xi'gaze "That is a very astute observation, sir! Most impressive... And to your question, yes, I believe that the honorable Dark Elves of Nydabeth have an extensive history that is tied to weaving fate or destiny, which I believe is similarly tied to their honorific of Weavers."

The stone elf nods. "You have been most kind to answer me. May your travels be peaceful and refreshing."

Makain responds "I am honored to have received your hospitality, and your fellowship."

Elavir stands "Thank you Elementalist Makani for your time and answering our questions."

Makain says "I am happy they were of service to you, your Grace." "Thank you once again for receiving me and for allowing me to begin the process of solving our mutual problems." Makain "I will begin to make preparations immediately. Be safe." Makani stands and then bows respectfully, first to her Grace, but then to those still assembled. With a smile, he turns and glides exactly through one of the ducal estate walls heading away from town.

The Ducal Guards escort all the guests out.

Midnight remains and requests the note taking stone elf to stay, they then compile this transcript of the evening through the night and have it ready for the Ducal scribes in the morning.

A note, I am a player, this information is strictly what my character found out in his efforts in game. He compared notes with people and created this document. Midnight is working with the Duchess to distribute this document to all corners of the shard so that all may know. Acarthian Riders deliver these to taverns and inns across the entire shard. He makes special care to have them delivered to the Dark Elves and the Dwarfs as well. Lastly he includes a copy to Aetheria, for Neysa.

Back