Adobe, Excel and Pagemaker help needed

OK, I did this for the last edition of the Rule Book and Players Guide but now I can't seem to do it again...

I have excel charts for the book which I then place in Pagemaker. It looks great and it prints great. However, when I make a PDF of the book (necessary for the printer) the charts come out chopped in half.

I've done some research, tried everything I read, and nothing seems to work.

Any of you computer nerds out there willing to help me?

This may seem over simplified, but why not just install a pdf printer, and print it as a pdf?

that might be a number of things. but the first place i would start would be the page break preview in excel. verify the page breaks are set up the way you want so that the carts appear whole in each page.

after that, it shouldn't be hard to covert them to pdf. and Lurin is right, depending on the version of adobe you have it may have installed a pdf printer for you already. so in excel, if you go to file and print, there may be pdf in there, and it will convert it there in the page break format you specified.

markusdark said:
I've had some issue with Adobe Acrobat transferring graphic and chart heavy documents into a readable PDF. If you can spare the money ($50), I would suggest picking up Nuance's ScanSoft PDF Create (http://www.nuance.com/pdfconverter/create/) This solved my issues at work.

You'd think having a copy of Acrobat and Distiller would do it, wouldn't you?

I keep reading posts with advice and none of them are working. I'm trying to remember how I did it last time (sigh)...

Mike,

what version of adobe are you using? I have version 8 the full professional version.
I'm a finance manager and so I slap many docs into adobe for printing for presentations and such havent had to many issues.

otherwise MS publisher is a solid program as well.

Jorundr said:
Mike,

what version of adobe are you using? I have version 8 the full professional version.
I'm a finance manager and so I slap many docs into adobe for printing for presentations and such havent had to many issues.

otherwise MS publisher is a solid program as well.

I have Pagemaker 7 and Adobe Acrobat 5.

Basically, here's what I do.

I open the Excel file, highlight the part I want to use, and shift to get the "copy picture" option, and then paste that into Pagemaker. When I print out the file, it looks great. However, when I transfer the Pagemaker file into an Acrobat file, the charts are all messed up.

One web page said to "print to file" the excel chart to a postcript driver, and then open that file with Distiller, which should then turn it into a PDF. It does but it looks horrible, like an old dot matrix printer did it!

There has to be another way...

Fearless Leader said:
You'd think having a copy of Acrobat and Distiller would do it, wouldn't you?

I keep reading posts with advice and none of them are working. I'm trying to remember how I did it last time (sigh)...

You would, but I spent the better part of 3 days at work trying to get a 171 page report to print from MS Word into Adobe. I had the latest adobe products for it but no go. Someone suggested me trying Scansoft and it worked great.

It is rather funny that the company that invented the .pdf isn't the best at creating them. :)

Download primo pdf
its free

print the excel file as a pdf.

then in acrobat you should be able to export or save as an eps file.
import the eps file into page maker

Heh! Actually I just tried Primo and it kept crashing on me for some reason. So I gave up, went to Amazon.com, and ordered a program that converts files to PDF and paid for it. Should get it in the mail soon, and then everyone can have the new Players Guide!

Back