Alternate Means of Magic Weapon Acquisition

This is a curiosity of mine which stems from a different discussion. The question is pretty straightforward: Does you chapter have a means for you to obtain magic weapons outside of the normal treasure policy?

Examples:
GS for ritual scrolls, which can then be used to make your weapon
GS for magic item picks (specific items off a list which may be limited or change regularly)
Straight Magic Item rewards for assisting your chapter in some form
Crazy magical vortexes which your character can throw components into and magic items will pop out

HQ - Yes (from looking at their OOG section of these forums)
Asheville -
Calgary - Yes
Chicago - Yes
CT -
Denver - No (not for weapons, as far as I'm aware)
Gettysburg - Yes (according to their website)
SoMI - Yes
SoMN - Yes (I've been told, inform me if not accurate)
NH - Yes (I've been told, inform me if not accurate)
Oregon - Yes
San Fran - Yes
Seattle - Yes
Traverse - Yes

Last edited:
We have an LCO policy for turning GS into LCO scrolls which can then be cast in-game to make items. The outcome of these rituals are, of course, always LCO.

There are some rituals that are excluded, such as Earth Aura. We do have a Damage Aura but if it's the LCO scroll it has to be flawed to not be able to swing for Magic.

We also have a 20 LCO ritual limit that we share with Seattle and San Francisco. Some rituals are not on this list such are Render Improved.

I don't have the full list handy right now, but Calgary has a system where volunteering for the LARP in various ways or being an NPC for a set amount of time will earn you Magic Item picks and GS, which you can then trade in for various magic items. Each one costs a set amount of MI picks and GS for a set power and duration, but I'm not sure if they're LCO or not, having never used the system to get any.

Added in a few more answers that a long time player shot over to me. If something looks wrong, let me know.

I don't have the full list handy right now, but Calgary has a system where volunteering for the LARP in various ways or being an NPC for a set amount of time will earn you Magic Item picks and GS, which you can then trade in for various magic items. Each one costs a set amount of MI picks and GS for a set power and duration, but I'm not sure if they're LCO or not, having never used the system to get any.

I would imagine they're LCO. My understanding of the system is that most any item made through a system like this (besides DS) would be. Do you know if there are weapons or Rituals scrolls used for making weapons on the list?

MI picks for gobbies are all LCO. The document we use in Calgary seems to be a National thing and allows for the purchase of almost anything, all weaker than the max ritual. Other chapters may use some or all of it, idk.

[Sniped by dontneednoname, right before posting, but I'll leave this up for now, just in case.]
Mark of Chaos said:
I would imagine they're LCO. My understanding of the system is that most any item made through a system like this (besides DS) would be. Do you know if there are weapons or Rituals scrolls used for making weapons on the list?
I've pulled up the sheet, and they are all LCO items.

I don't have the time right now to check every single one, but it does seem to me that every ritual scroll is on the list, and you can use MI picks + GS to get reagents and catalysts, as well.

It also appears that you can get just about any magic item 'premade' (for lack of a better term), but not being familiar with many of them I can't say whether you can get the "maximum" effect of any particular one this way. Weapons and Shields are on the list in their own section, with things like Skill Store that can be on any item listed separately.

We also must provide our own physreps for any item bought this way, which is entirely fair.

[Sniped by dontneednoname, right before posting, but I'll leave this up for now, just in case.]

I've pulled up the sheet, and they are all LCO items.

I don't have the time right now to check every single one, but it does seem to me that every ritual scroll is on the list, and you can use MI picks + GS to get reagents and catalysts, as well.

It also appears that you can get just about any magic item 'premade' (for lack of a better term), but not being familiar with many of them I can't say whether you can get the "maximum" effect of any particular one this way. Weapons and Shields are on the list in their own section, with things like Skill Store that can be on any item listed separately.

We also must provide our own physreps for any item bought this way, which is entirely fair.

a little Clarification. Not all Rits are on the LCO purchase list. Only ones that do not require a restricted Catalyst are. The Catalyst you can purchase are only the ones not restricted to 2 per year. A LCO ritual creates an LCO item as well.

All items purchased through GS are LCO. It is up to other chapters if they will accept a LCO item.

We restrict MIs to not allow "top tier" purchases. As an example, you can only purchase 0, +1, +2 Damage Auras. This means if someone wants a top tier item, they have to get the ritual in game and have it cast in game. That will not change with ARB 2.0.

The Catalyst you can purchase are only the ones not restricted to 2 per year.

I thought all Catalysts restricted to two per year (unless they have been handed out and then you can hand out a 3rd).

Nope. Destroy Magic Item is not restricted. There are a couple others as well.

Correct in Chicago gobbies maybe turned in for LCO scrolls. Which then must be cast in game ofcourse.

Nope. Destroy Magic Item is not restricted. There are a couple others as well.

I've never heard of it that way. My information is via the bylaws, unless they have changed (which could totally be possible).

Back