Aluminium Polearm Cores

Undrask

Scholar
Alright, I've gone to Goodwinds, gotten a .506 core from the suggested fiberglass. It is obviously too damn flimsy for my 6' polearm. In fact, I would prefer it if there was ZERO flex in the damn thing.

So, anyways, what about aluminium? I know it's ALLOWED for two-handers and polearms, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Is it too heavy? Can I cripple mofos with this big chunk of metal? Plus side in my eyes is NO FLEX! YAYYYY!?

Thoughts? Ideas? Hate mail?

I use good old fashioned 1" PVC pipe for all my two-handers including a polearm. It can handle the temperature changes better and gives minimal bend (the weapon should bend/give a little, too stiff is a weapons fail on the opposite end of the spectrum). I also have not noticed a significance weight difference in the cores.

Thanks for that! Between 1" PVC and the .705" fiberglass cores, which do you think would be better?

I am currently using the 5/8" thickness pipe insulation and a good thickness open cell on the weapon head and tip. Think that would be too little to buffer the aluminium?

.7 is good. I highly recommend it.
If you go aluminum, get the 1" closed cell.

Ok awesome, thanks for the advice!

I use .745 filament wound epoxy tubing from Tap Plastics for my two-handers. It's a bit on the expensive side (~$15), but It works amazingly well; they're plenty light for a 2h, a trivial amount of flex, and I haven't had one break yet.

Frisco, my polearm uses that exact core and I love it. It's too wide for the pipe foam that I had, but it fit some pool noodles perfectly. I'll have it at our next event if you want to get a feel for it.

I may have an extra core at Rich's house - I bought 3 of them for some reason.

That would be siiiick! I'm not sure what's going on with the next event yet, but I'll post here when I know. Thanks a ton man!!

Frisco,
You will note that the 0.602 cores have an inside diameter of 0.5" This will fit your foam perfectly. (well it should)

Joe Siegel

Of which? The Goodwinds fiberglass or?

Back