Announcement for Deadlands: Not to sound like I'm going to go shoot myself in the bathroom, but...

My reign has come to an end.

Deadlanders,

Alliance Deadlands has seen six seasons since its inception. For those of you who are unaware, Deadlands was the sequel to Syraandor, the previous Alliance chapter for New Hampshire. I started playing with the Alliance in April of 2000 (when it was still called Nero Alliance). The chapter owner at that time was Shane White, who I’d like to thank again for getting this little project started. I served as Shane’s head of plot for a bit, and years later I took over to restart this game as Alliance Deadlands, circa 2008.

It’s been a remarkable experience that I’m grateful to have been a part of, but the time has come to pass along the torch. Many of you may have already noticed that I've had to take a step back over the last season. This has been a result of ever increasing and changing professional responsibilities, and it is clear to me that my career path is not congruent with providing the attention and care this chapter needs from its owner. Consequently, I will be stepping down as owner and staying on as an adjunct plot member and as a player, but in a considerably reduced role for the foreseeable future.

Our current overlord of plot is Daniel Beshers, and Dan has been without a doubt the most faithful, dedicated staff member to stick with the program throughout both incarnations of the Alliance NH chapter. Dan is bright, creative and highly invested in the success of this chapter. Along with his wife Stacey, I’ve offered Dan the opportunity to replace me as owner, and he has accepted this responsibility.

Therefore, I’d like to welcome and congratulate Dan in his new role as the owner of the Alliance Deadlands chapter.

Dan and the rest of the staff have been working hard on plot and improvements to chapter policy for a while, and I ask that all of you join me in congratulating Dan and supporting him throughout the upcoming season and years to come.

I’d like to take a minute to thank my past and current staff members, who have made this chapter what it is today. In no particular order:

Jaimi Davis, our first GM and forever my African queen. I could not have and would not have wanted to start this game without you. You were instrumental in everything we did from the business side, as well as all things logistical, practical and necessary. You were the calm, rational voice in the storm.

Sean Metzler, our head of rules, plot member, breaker of spirits, champion of justice, my right hand, the guy I’d most want with me when sh*t gets real. Sean. You have been our moral compass, continually guiding us towards a fairer, cleaner, higher quality game. You have never been afraid to confront a problem and address it, unencumbered by the volume of the opposition. You love the rules as much as one can value them without forgetting that they are not the reason we play, but are there to enhance the experience and facilitate the plot.

Mark Simino, our first assistant GM, finder of lost light switches, lord of clean up days. Your willingness to address the unappetizing nitty-gritty permitted us time to focus on the big picture, which I think has vastly enhanced the quality of our game. Your patience and dedication to the game as a staff member and player may appear to go unnoticed, but I've always seen it and appreciated your efforts and help.

George Hirst, our tech support and cold war era, plot writer extraordinaire. You have been the one who writes the sexy, cloak and dagger s**t that makes we wish I could pc the events you've had a hand in running. You make white things grey and grey things a dark, soundless, soulless black into which we pour our pathetic, misguided hope. You are great at writing characters, who might as well be wearing bonnets and sun dresses, who you also get the sense know exactly where your children sleep, no matter where you try to hide them... More than anyone else, myself included, you have always understood and kept in focus what the Deadlands is, and should always be.

Stacey Beshers, our human encyclopedia, geyser of tears, mother to us all. You have been through it all with us, and retell it to us when we forget. You are our ambassador and translator to the players. You have recorded our stories with beauty and insight. You have ensured our game its history, and subsequently given it much of its mystique and depth. You are also Dan’s rock, which he definitely needs, a nice sturdy rock.

Mike and Jena Lawson, who know that if you gaze long enough into npc camp, npc camp gazes also into you. When we first played this game npc camp clothes were not regularly washed and were often soon claimed by the spores and funk. The level of grossness to which npc camp reached was intolerable by today’s standards. You gave us those standards. You've provided us with food, comfort and delivered us from chaos. Your contributions have been the most tangible and visible, and I thank you from the bottom of my un-fungus infested feet and lungs.

Meg Kinkaid, who manages to be incredibly well-organized (helping us towards the same) without being scary. In many ways you have helped our game, in relatively short time, make huge leaps towards professionalism and quality that we just couldn't get to in the several years before you. You have been an unquestionably valuable contribution to our game.

Samara Martin, our resident actress, who never fails to raise the bar with every role she embodies. Samara, you and I know that we have not always seen things eye to eye, but I want to acknowledge that your growth, skills and insight as a plot member have been impressive and extremely valuable to the game. I've seen you take initiative in big and small ways when the rest of us, for whatever reason, failed to do so. Your ideas have provided foundations for what grew to be amazing plot lines and your creative contributions have helped good ideas become great. Your professionalism and ability to work with the team has become admirable, and I’m glad to have you with us.

Sam Olson, who is the first logistics person I've ever known who doesn't sound or look like she’s ready to hang herself or shoot the next person in the face for asking her if she got their character card from...where ever. Sam, logistics is in many ways the most challenging and thankless job for any game, but you have never let that show, and that helps preserve the positive attitude people bring with them to game so that it can better endure throughout the weekend. You are often the first staff member our players interact with when they arrive, and the value in your positive attitude and customer service cannot be overstated.

Evan Tessier, our resident actor, who also never fails to absolutely crush every role he’s given, but who also, with surprisingly little staff tenure under his belt, manages to pull shimmering plot diamonds from his a*s and weave our muddled, tired, cow flop ideas into glistening strands of the finest narrative gold. I don’t know how we found you (oh yeah, it was Sean’s idea), but Christ on the cross, I’m glad we did.

Ray Roberge, founding plot member, most bearded of elf-kind, inker of flesh. Very few people know this, so I need to publicly thank you and acknowledge that (when I look back on it) a huge part of the plot lines we've run over the years were started and contributed to by you. For just one huge example, Sean and I were the first plot members to really take on Sadeen Moor, but it was originally your baby. You were also one of the first individuals to hear about, support and contribute to my vision of the Deadlands. Your support and creative contributions in no small part helped shape so much of this little world.

Debb and Brian White, and their extended family, whose children have essentially been throwing an up all night, everyone’s invited raver for the last 14 years, and have somehow found it in their hearts to not call the police and make us move out of the basement. What can be said? You take care of us and give us all the time and space we need to grow up, and the same so that we never have to.

And of course, Dan Beshers, our wizard behind the curtains, juggler of flaming, necrotic chainsaws, my other right hand, both my legs, my filter, refiner and sounding board. I think you take the prize for the individual with whom I've babbled the most, AND the person with whom such babble has reflected and grown into something of complex brilliance. I wish I had recorded even half the phone and npc camp conversations we've had so that I could study and breakdown how absolute f**king nonsense (mostly my ideas, except for the laser-eyed crystal monsters, which was yours and just weird) can evolve when blended with a masterful understanding of how the game works and how a story should grow (mostly your ideas) into something epic (Deadlands). I leave this precious thing in your hands, and I know they are hands in which it is loved.

To all the others who have made this game what it is, our players, our monster camp masochists, thank you for all you've brought to the campfire. I hope what you've received is as worthy as what you've given. But stick around, and watch the fire grow.

Gary,

We were the body....you are the heart.

It's been an amazing run, and I am so unbelievably proud to have been a part of it with you. Thank you. For everything. All the things.

Dan, as Gary said, there is no one more suited, dedicated or capable of puppeteering this world than you. I often find myself singing your praises to anyone that will listen and I know you'll continue to make this chapter amazing, as always. I can not wait to come back and play your upcoming season.

Now, are there dates up? I need to go look at plane tickets!

Love you all,

And you Gary, I'll always be your African Queen my White Brother! :)

~Jaimi

Dates are here, Jaimi.

Thank you, Gary.

I am truly honored by the trust and faith that you have placed in me. The stories that we have told together are extraordinary, and your endless enthusiasm for those tales is the best kind of infectious. If I have been successful in growing our ideas it has been via your inexhaustible supply of them. If I have made them fit into a single story it was you who insured that story would be legendary.

I remember the very first advice Gary ever gave me about writing: "People got bored when nothing interesting was going on. Dude, we need to teach you how to write filler." I'm honestly not sure I ever have. Everything that I write I try to tie together, to make part of a single whole world that always makes sense within itself. It's close enough to an obsessive behavior that I try not to think about it too much. All along I've been manifestly terrible at writing filler, little side bits of no major consequence to fit in the gaps of the larger stories. Instead I've tried to fill those gaps by stretching the large stories so that they fit together like puzzle pieces, making a single, grand pan-mythos where everything touched everything else and there was always something to find wherever you dug deeper. After all, people do get bored when nothing interesting is going on. Gary has always understood that, and has always pushed to make sure that there is always something happening to capture the imagination, always worked to make everything we did so inspiring that even afterward it would still be interesting.

I want to make sure that everything we do stays interesting, and I want to try to make sure that everyone who comes to live our stories with us feels not just interested, but invested as well. I truly hope to tell the next chapter of Laerthan in a way that allows every player, every PC and every NPC, to feel like an important part of the story. I want to make sure that everyone has the chance to feel like a hero, that everyone who plays the game leaves excited to have been there and eager to return. My favorite part of every event is hearing people swap tales, listening to the personal stories of pride, of humor, of awe at something that just happened, or that happened years ago. Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to write and to live these stories with you. Thank you, Gary, for believing in me as their steward. I'll try to keep it interesting.

Gary,

Thank you for the kind words, they do mean lot to be. I tried my very best to put some of my most twisted thoughts to this project early on and with my on-going (some are still in limbo) plots.

I remember driving around the twisting and turning city streets of downtown Boston in your Cabriolet, fleshing out the curses of the Withering; for each of the races. I hope to be able to return in some capacity this year or in the next, if the Staff will have me. We both started playing this game, (NH in particular) so many years ago. It has been my great joy to first and foremost be a player, when it was Syraandor; then to rejoin and help create a ruined world with you , for our players to save and to be a handful of Npc's and Pc's alike, in this setting. The creative team that started with that seed, fleshed out well by Shane and the Old guard, and then passed on to you and your capable and talented staff has grown. I can only hope (and be confident) that the new team will carry it into the future.

I hope all your future endeavors are rewarding and there is always something new on your horizon.

Ray

Back