Anyone looking for chainmail?

It is nice for the price, but if it is really made of zinc instead of zinc coated, it will fall apart quickly...

Hmm, curious. I note that they state it weighs 30 pounds, yet, I've seen uncoated steel chainmail in slightly larger dimensions weighing less than 23 pounds. Now, I understand that Zinc weighs slightly less than steel...

Actually I discovered a place for armor.

http://www.realarmorofgod.com/

It has a $97 chain mail shirt that is 27 lbs. and is made of 16 gague carbon steel with zinc plating.

This is the chain mail that I wear for my characters.

There are other armor items here which range from $100 - $350.

Angrydurf said:
Plus the poly stuff is still just 2 pt per location in Nero need da real metal for full points.

Sadly even if they were to offer me 5 per loc for the ploy stuff I could not bring myself to do it.

Thanks for the tip-off, markusdark! That's a good deal, and I'm considering springing for it. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.

Though, honestly, I enjoy making the stuff enough that I may just buy wire and hunker down to make some more of my own. After all, $110 is substantially more than the raw material cost of doing it myself (understandably so).

Mirificatio,
If your going to be at the HQ game this weekend and you like making armor you might be interested in some armor that I have made that qualifies for 2 pts. per location and with work can look pretty decent. I don't know if you've heard of pvc foam board, basically its a 1/4" thick sheet of pvc, that when you heat becomes supple and can be shaped to your body. It's also decently soft so that you could easily carve designs and patterns into it.

I play a Dark Elf, real names David. Shouldn't be too hard to find me if your interested, guy with lots of packets. :)

David. Spellcaster. Got it. Going to be a dark elf IG? I'll be NPCing, but I'll bring a few bits of my snake-kin costume with me to show off if you'd like (sadly not the mask, as I want to put as little in-transit wear and tear on it as I can).

I'm actually currently looking at armor construction options for a heavily-armored character that I just know I'll have eventually. Fender washers have caught my eye for cheap scales, riveted to canvas or similarly heavy backing material. That's some solid 3pt material right there, though a bit on the heavy side. PVC foam may fit the bill for my helmet and chest plate, if it turns out that 2pt material is good enough. I'd love to see what it looks like when worked.

Well, lots of packets... but not just a spellcaster. ;) However yea I play a DE and I'd love to see some of your snake skin stuff too, sadness about the mask but I understand.

Mirificatio said:
Thanks for the tip-off, markusdark! That's a good deal, and I'm considering springing for it. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.

Though, honestly, I enjoy making the stuff enough that I may just buy wire and hunker down to make some more of my own. After all, $110 is substantially more than the raw material cost of doing it myself (understandably so).

After putting together over a dozen shirts and half a dozen coifs, using material from aluminum to stainless spring steel, to me the $100 is more than an acceptable price to have someone else do it for me ;)

I'm still fond of the Ringmesh stuff, personally.

Takes a licking, gets bounced off trees and the ground on a regular basis, and still nice and shiny with all of it's welded rings attached. You get what you pay for, and not having a shirt rust/shred on me while my friend's stuff literally goes to pieces is a pleasant experience.

One day I will have some chainmail. Alas, that day will not be any time soon. *sigh*

I sprang for it, I surely did. It's very oily, which is of course quite good for shipping purposes. Still, wearing the chain while it's covered in oil seems like a messy prospect. Now, it's described as "zinc metal", which seems odd, as the rings themselves are not especially malleable. If it were actually solid zinc, then it should hold up against rust pretty readily even without the oil, and I'd like to get it nice and clean before wearing. It is, however, black in color, and I'm not sure where the black color comes from, so the "zinc metal" composition needs to be confirmed.

This chain is definitely begging for further inspection. Regardless, it seems fairly sturdy (I expect to need to repair it a bit during use, but nothing I can't handle) and looks neat. Worth the $110 total I paid for it? Yep. At the very least, if I decide to upgrade to the ever-so-handsome Ringmesh, I would not feel the least bit like I was ripping someone off by re-selling this shirt and coif for the same price I paid.

I'm considering re-working the shirt by splitting out panels and replacing them with fender washer scale mail riveted to canvas or similar (thanks to Dennis for the inspiration). The canvas backing would end up taking most of the stress of the armor's hanging weight, including that of the chain, hopefully reducing the in-use maintenance necessary to keep the chain nice. Going this route I could end up with enough material for two such shirts!

Back